Power on screen is frozen

comtech

Reaction score
About 75% of the time when I remove my Droid X from the holster it will display 50% of the screen fine but the lower half is totally black. All buttons are frozen and do nothing. A quick press of the power button to turn off the display and then a quick press again will fix the problem 100% of the time and allow me to unlock the phone. I haven't sent the phone in for repair yet since the workaround is quick, easy and reliable but it is getting annoying. Has anyone else run into this problem? All updates are applied.

wdprice3

Reaction score
haven't seen this issue... but it only happens when leaving a holster and not just waking up? do you have some type of special holster...? I know blackberry holsters used to have a magnet in them, which would tell the phone to keep the screen off... but I'm not aware of any such capability with the droids...

battery pull? rooted/custom rom? OS version?

OP
C

comtech

Reaction score
Already tried several things before posting

As per Motorola's recommendation I did a factory reset, etc. Nothing seems to help. The holster is just a leather holster that does have a magnet (albeit a weak one). The problem does appear to only happen when removing the phone from the holster. It is entirely possilble that the camera or volume buttons are getting pressed briefly as I remove it from the holster. With the phone locked you wouldn't think that to have any effect though. I posted this mainly to find out if it might be a chronic problem others are having too.

wdprice3

Reaction score
If it only happens with that holster, then I'm thinking the holster is the issue.... try carrying it in your pocket for a while?

OP
C

comtech

Reaction score
I applied 2.2 update yesterday

So far I haven't had a single glitch on the phone since the update was applied. I've got my fingers crossed that solved the problem. I guess it wasn't a problem with the holster after all.