Power Mode Settings

Reaction score
Don't know if somebody already beat me to it but has anyone noticed what the power mode in the settings menu does?

High Performance = 4G/3G/2G and whatever brightness you set you screen to
Normal = 3G/2G + Automatic Data Radio timeout when phone sleeps and whatever brightness you set your screen to
Economoy = Voice Only and whatever brightness you set your screen to

Just an FYI instead of going through the wireless networks menu to turn off 4G.

Only thing that sucks is they don't have a High Performance Normal Mode combo that allows 4G/3G/2G access Plus automatic Data Radio Timeout...

Just putting it out there just in case it hasn't already been covered...

My Rezound Rocks the Red n Black... Get over it... Now to get this thing rooted

OP
ThaSurgeonGeneral
Reaction score
Looks like the Economy mode is not just voice Only... Still uses 3G...

I think these settings may use different governors because Antutu benchmark varies widely with each setting...

xptian

Reaction score
Looks like the Economy mode is not just voice Only... Still uses 3G...

I think these settings may use different governors because Antutu benchmark varies widely with each setting...

I just assumed the normal/economy would underclock the CPU and maybe put it in sleep mode after extended disuse. I don't have 4G in my area yet so I just keep my phone on CDMA. For the three days I've had my phone I've kept it in economy and gotten about 12 hours of battery life with about 1 hour of heavy internet and gaming, and 3 hours of movies/music/internet over WiFi. So far I haven't seen any need to be in high performance.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

Taegost

Reaction score
It doesn't underclock the CPU, but it does change the governor, which affects how quickly it moves up and down in speed. In Performance mode, it'll ramp up to top speed quicker and then move down to idle speeds slower, Normal is about even, and Economy tries to keep it clocked as low as possible as long as possible.
I'd try Economy, but I don't like all the other predefined settings tied to it, I think the other options shouldn't be tied to a specific governor setting.

OP
ThaSurgeonGeneral
Reaction score
It doesn't underclock the CPU, but it does change the governor, which affects how quickly it moves up and down in speed. In Performance mode, it'll ramp up to top speed quicker and then move down to idle speeds slower, Normal is about even, and Economy tries to keep it clocked as low as possible as long as possible.
I'd try Economy, but I don't like all the other predefined settings tied to it, I think the other options shouldn't be tied to a specific governor setting.

Yeah, I don't do economy at all unless I plan on being away from a charger for a very long time n don't need much data...

Normal Mode is what I use most of the time unless I'm sitting at home... Then I use performance mode, just because...

I wish phones would come overclockable up to a safe point and a governor app was preinstalled with root access... Say my phone up to 1.8 GHz but as low as 550 MHz from the factory. That'd be crazy...

Just can't wait for battery tech to change... It's close

mikeinctown

Reaction score
Tpday I put it in normal for much of the day and when I tried to put it back in high performance I lost all internet connection. I didn't realize what had happened until i rebooted the phone some 2 hours later. I shouldn't have to reboot every time I change from normal to high performance mode.

OP
ThaSurgeonGeneral
Reaction score
I don't have that problem... Although, u need to make sure your phone is set to LTE evdo auto in the phones sub menu...

Dial *#*#4636#*#* then press phone information and change the settings accordingly... Back out and restart your phone then try the power Mode Settings again...

Let me know if it helps, everything is working for me...

bvjens31

Reaction score
I don't have that problem... Although, u need to make sure your phone is set to LTE evdo auto in the phones sub menu...

Dial *#*#4636#*#* then press phone information and change the settings accordingly... Back out and restart your phone then try the power Mode Settings again...

Let me know if it helps, everything is working for me...

Wow great tip! Never knew about that menu. I constantly am losing LTE and having my phone fallback to CDMA all throughout the day. I must be in a fringe zone? In that submenu, I have selected LTE mode w/voice and my LTE appears solid. Are there any repercussions by doing this? Besides battery and data usage implications? Think something is wrong with my radio for always losing LTE when I have it set to LTE+CDMA? It's in LTE mode now and appears perfect.

OP
ThaSurgeonGeneral
Reaction score
Wow great tip! Never knew about that menu. I constantly am losing LTE and having my phone fallback to CDMA all throughout the day. I must be in a fringe zone? In that submenu, I have selected LTE mode w/voice and my LTE appears solid. Are there any repercussions by doing this? Besides battery and data usage implications? Think something is wrong with my radio for always losing LTE when I have it set to LTE+CDMA? It's in LTE mode now and appears perfect.

Yeah, there seems to be a data issue with both the Rezound and Nexus. Not sure what's going to fix it but, I did create a trouble ticket with Verizon.

By setting your phone to LTE W/Voice you are effectively disabling 3G altogether (Possibly Voice signal also). You are also maximizing your battery draining characteristics. So just remember when you venture outside of a 4G area to return your settings to CDMA EVDO/LTE Auto or you will not get reception.

bvjens31

Reaction score
Voice works just tested it ;-) now to find out how to create a shortcut to that settings menu for easy switching. Maybe a phone book entry is the easiest way? Again, thanks for the awesome tip! Maybe I can raid tmrw on tether without cutting to 3g and getting dc'd from the server constantly :p

OP
ThaSurgeonGeneral
Reaction score
Voice works just tested it ;-) now to find out how to create a shortcut to that settings menu for easy switching. Maybe a phone book entry is the easiest way? Again, thanks for the awesome tip! Maybe I can raid tmrw on tether without cutting to 3g and getting dc'd from the server constantly :p

Yeah, voice will work as long as you stay in a 4G area... It's when you're not that concerns me...

bvjens31

Reaction score
Yeah, voice will work as long as you stay in a 4G area... It's when you're not that concerns me...

I'm guessing that voice will not work if I'm in LTE mode, and I leave a 4G area. But I'll only be in LTE mode when using tether so it should be good. Now, onto find a way to tether to my laptop, and I shall be one happy camper!