power drain

Lachlan

Reaction score
Hello, this is the first major problem I've run into on my droid. I'm running pre-official 2.2 and have rooted. I also use launcher pro, if that makes a difference. Today, I noticed that my phone started losing battery power very fast, and takes a long, long time to charge. Also, it seems to be running extraordinarily hot to the touch. Using the 'cpu usage' app, I see that 'calendar storage' is taking up to a third of the cpu time. (I'm using my google calendar with the stock app). I've also noticed the little sync icon in the notification bar stays there constantly. Can anyone help me track down the problem? I can supply more info if needed.

Thanks,
Lachlan

droider4life

Reaction score
Hey there. Did you try going menu>settings>about phone>battery use. And see what's using the most battery. I had Facebook do this same thing one day. And the sync symbol was on also.

I then went into menu>settings>apps>running apps. Force closed it and it solved the problem. Hope this helps

OP
L

Lachlan

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. On mine, it just gives me a black screen that says "while last unplugged for 0s" on top. Does it reset when you turn off your phone or plug it in?

droider4life

Reaction score
Yes, a reboot will reset it. So u may want to just watch it throughout the day and see what it tells you.

Edit: it just gives you a black screen???

OP
L

Lachlan

Reaction score
I checked my running services, and the calendar one had the constant sync icon by it. I reset my wifi connectin and that seems to have done the trick. No more idle overheating, no more sync icon, no more calendar storage high cpu use. I'm glad it was something simple!

droider4life

Reaction score
Nice. Glad you found it. Mine never gave me a fit again, hopefully you have the same luck. :)

jcwilliams

Reaction score
i have the same issue with my droid right now and i have read through your guys posts and in about phone it says display is using 75% and evrything else is at 2%. but i always lock my phone when im not using it so its always on standby and i dont use the phone that much. its been getting hot but my set cpu widget says its not so im not sure what it could be. i have had two batterys in it already today and this third one is at half!! it has never been like this before. i though it was launcher pro bc when i updated it thats when i noticed it. any suggestions?

droider4life

Reaction score
i have the same issue with my droid right now and i have read through your guys posts and in about phone it says display is using 75% and evrything else is at 2%. but i always lock my phone when im not using it so its always on standby and i dont use the phone that much. its been getting hot but my set cpu widget says its not so im not sure what it could be. i have had two batterys in it already today and this third one is at half!! it has never been like this before. i though it was launcher pro bc when i updated it thats when i noticed it. any suggestions?

Download spare parts from the market and see what it says under battery history once you open the app. Try plugging it in and it will reset the numbers. Then let the phone sit for a few minutes and see what it says again.

jrmdroid

Reaction score

Are you getting the OTA over and over again???? I have read here that there are folks getting it, they are rooted and is draining their batt faster then normal.

settings>about phone>system updates it may say your system is currently upto date but wait a little and a download may/will start if you indeed are getting the OTA Over and Over... this is what mine did when i checked.

Until I checked this my batt was draining fast.

droider4life

Reaction score
Good suggestion tparker. I spaced that one.
^ you mean is there a Task Killer installed ?

:D

If so...Uninstall it

Yes, that one kills me. I had two friends last week with Droid 2's wouldn't last a six hour day. They only had the phones for like a week. Both had task killers from the factory. I deleted them and life went way up.

Why Verizon installs task killers on customers phones is beyond me. (Sorry for the rant) :)

jcwilliams

Reaction score

Are you getting the OTA over and over again???? I have read here that there are folks getting it, they are rooted and is draining their batt faster then normal.

settings>about phone>system updates it may say your system is currently upto date but wait a little and a download may/will start if you indeed are getting the OTA Over and Over... this is what mine did when i checked.

Until I checked this my batt was draining fast.

i was getting it over and over again until i installed a patch to trick the phone and make it think that i did install the update. the past couple of days the battery has been lasting all day. so i dont know what it was with that one day but it wouldnt even go 4 hrs until i had to plug it up again! my phone just had a bad day that day i guess.