power control widget in CM 7

zero7404

Reaction score
the power control widget that's included with CM 7 allows you to turn on/off wifi automatically when you connect/disconnect from power, i was wondering if there's also a setting buried somewhere that allows me to turn on/off the gps only when certain apps are run ?

the only thing i use the gps for is maps/nav, that's the only app i want to use the gps with. facebook uses my gps and i don't want that, if i disable the location permission setting for facebook then facebook won't work on my phone.

Hobn

Reaction score
Apps like Tasker and Llama let you do that.

lizard

Reaction score
I like to keep my GPS always off. I tuck the toggle away for it in the pulldown so its easy to get to from all my home screens. Facebook keeps telling me via e-mail that my account has been compromised. Because they are forced to use network address for location info, and even when I log in from the same device, my phone, they are confused because at home I'm on my wifi and at work I'm on 3G.

Sent from my rooted, and CM7 rommed, Droid2

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
I like to keep my GPS always off. I tuck the toggle away for it in the pulldown so its easy to get to from all my home screens. Facebook keeps telling me via e-mail that my account has been compromised. Because they are forced to use network address for location info, and even when I log in from the same device, my phone, they are confused because at home I'm on my wifi and at work I'm on 3G.

Sent from my rooted, and CM7 rommed, Droid2

the problem im faced with is that i never know when i have to fire up maps or nav, so id have to get into the routine of switching it on when i want to use those apps.

i guess i cab shut it down when i am at home as i know i wouldnt need it for a while.

its odd that when i turn gps off, facebook works fine, but if i leave it on and change permissions for gps in the facebook app, fb just wont start up.

sent via android

Smokie

Reaction score
you could setup Tasker to turn gps on or off depending on what apps you have running.