Power button won't respond after accident

ksaevig

Reaction score
There are 2 Droid Xs in my household and involved in this situation.

Last night while out drinking and celebrating Halloween 'phone a' was dropped and the back cover popped off. I also found a 1" x 1/2" foil-like slip of silver plastic, so I picked it up too but I'm not sure that its for the phone. I put all the pieces in my basket (a prop for my costume, operates like a purse and has a flip top lid), I did not put the back cover on the phone as we were both a little buzzed and I didn't want another accident. This happened while in line for the restroom and when I finally got a stall I set the basket on the lid of the toilet tank and it slid down into the bowl right side up, all the contents staying inside the basket. I pulled it out immediately and water practically poured from it. I pulled all the items out and nothing was too wet, all the cigarettes in an open pack survived without a drop of water but the cloth lining of the basket was wet and 'phone a's power button was suddenly useless. It won't turn the screen on or off and when held down it does nothing either.

'Phone b' is perfectly fine and it was in the basket too, but the back cover of the phone was on.

If I'm screwed, which I imagine I am, are there apps I can download to power down the phone and turn the screen off? I use the home button to turn the screen on, so I'm okay there and after a battery pull, I put the battery back in and the phone turned itself on, so I guess I'm okay there too (although I panicked after I pulled the battery when I realized I had no idea how to get the phone back on!)

Any advice, knowledge or experience with this that might help me?

Side note: I pulled the battery for both phones to see if I recognized the silver plasticy-foil piece in 'phone b', which I didn't but I did notice a small object within the hardware, visible in the second hole for the tabs of the back cover, was different colors on each phone. It was red on 'phone a' and white on 'phone b' and I remember color changing stickers being a technique for phone companies to know if a phone has gotten wet or not.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sounds like these devices were not insured ?

Sent from my Original Droid using the Exclusive Droid Forums App (Available Free in the Market) :wink:

OP
K

ksaevig

Reaction score
'phone a' may be insured, I can't remember. If I find that it is should I just take it to verizon?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
if it is you just call asurion Verizon's insurance handler

Sent from my Original Droid using the Exclusive Droid Forums App (Available Free in the Market) :wink:

ionide

Reaction score
Yeah, just call asurion or go to phoneclaim.com/verizon

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
If the phone is not insured you are in a tough spot. Get some dessicant and put it in a container with some of it, let it sit for a couple of days. However, the button not working probably is the result of physical damage and isn't going to get fixed by drying out.