Power Button is Mushy

Reaction score
Hi Droid Forums,

Happy Holidays! I have a question for you guys. I got a replacement Droid (my first Droid had a headphone jack that was messed up). On the new Droid, everything is wonderful except for the power/lock button. Whenever I push it, it feels more mushy/soft than the previous one. My question about this is will it break down in the future? Will it hold up and last a long time?

Thanks.

Paul

OP
PaulAndroidMan
Reaction score
I hate to do this....but bump. To further elaborate it seems kind of loose. But it works just fine, am I ok?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
the power button should be pretty flush with the top of the phone.

upon further inspection, I guess it would seem kind of loose, but it's pretty stable. i definitely feel a "click" and it shouldn't break down in the future.

OP
PaulAndroidMan
Reaction score
the power button should be pretty flush with the top of the phone.

upon further inspection, I guess it would seem kind of loose, but it's pretty stable. i definitely feel a "click" and it shouldn't break down in the future.
Thanks for your response. Maybe it varies? Does it "click" or is it a little "mushy" or both? I think mine is a little of both.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well, i'm not sure if you closely inspected or not, but I did. I noticed that the power button can be "clicky" and "mushy". If it feels mushy it means you're not pushing it in the center. If you push it in the center you can feel and hear a click. That's what I noticed anyway, so it's normal to me.

edit: and also, i'm going to assume you use one hand to hit the button. It's pretty difficult to hit the power button directly in the center, and I have big hands, so it feels mushy. But when i do hit the center, I can hear and feel a click.

If your power button isn't flush with the stop, then that's something to worry about.

raven1911

Reaction score
Mine feels kinda mushy but if I lay the Droid down flat and anchor my thumb on the bottom of the phone and then push the power button it "feels" better, more solid. If I don't anchor my hand then it feels mushy all the time. I think this is normal.

OP
PaulAndroidMan
Reaction score
Well, i'm not sure if you closely inspected or not, but I did. I noticed that the power button can be "clicky" and "mushy". If it feels mushy it means you're not pushing it in the center. If you push it in the center you can feel and hear a click. That's what I noticed anyway, so it's normal to me.

edit: and also, i'm going to assume you use one hand to hit the button. It's pretty difficult to hit the power button directly in the center, and I have big hands, so it feels mushy. But when i do hit the center, I can hear and feel a click.

If your power button isn't flush with the stop, then that's something to worry about.
And when you press on the left it's a hard click and on the right side it's a mushier click? :)

OP
PaulAndroidMan
Reaction score
Also, thank you to everyone for responding!!!!! This is such a great and informative website.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

And when you press on the left it's a hard click and on the right side it's a mushier click? :)

Yeah that sounds about right. At least that's what I noticed. Your power button should be fine. If something does go wrong, you're still covered by manufacturer's warranty.

OP
PaulAndroidMan
Reaction score

Yeah that sounds about right. At least that's what I noticed. Your power button should be fine. If something does go wrong, you're still covered by manufacturer's warranty.
Wonderful, thanks!

JayC707

Reaction score
Mine is flush and intact, doesn't make a click sound but it does push in and out in a "click" motion.

accordlord04

Reaction score
my power button was mushy... my headphone jack was crackling... my battery door kept sliding off... got a replacement. all the issues fixed. got my new droid replacement tonight. the power button now is stiff, and has a distinct click "feel" when i press it. the music is now completely clear with no crackling. the battery door is rigid and takes some force to remove. maybe i got a newer model with all the prior issues resolved? nevertheless, i was super anal and OCD about the details so i got my replacement. mainly because it gives my some piece of mind that my phone wasnt already half broken when i bought it, and it won't break down next week.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well do you have a raised keyboard?

my power button was mushy... my headphone jack was crackling... my battery door kept sliding off... got a replacement. all the issues fixed. got my new droid replacement tonight. the power button now is stiff, and has a distinct click "feel" when i press it. the music is now completely clear with no crackling. the battery door is rigid and takes some force to remove. maybe i got a newer model with all the prior issues resolved? nevertheless, i was super anal and OCD about the details so i got my replacement. mainly because it gives my some piece of mind that my phone wasnt already half broken when i bought it, and it won't break down next week.

accordlord04

Reaction score
ouch, raised keyboard? if thats exactly what it sounds like... makes my issues seem miniscule.