Potentially Disturbing New Ad Model for Android: Pop-Up Ads

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
fireflies-live-wallpaper.jpg

A fellow writer over at PhanDroid recently discovered what we hope will not become a disturbing new trend in Android advertising. He downloaded an active wallpaper on the Market, called 3D Fireflies, made by developer The Go Wallpaper Dev Team. He made comment that although the wallpaper was well-done, the wrinkle for getting the wallpaper free was that it had "pop-up ads" just like what we annoyingly experience on our computers. He said that within an hour's time the ad popped up on his home screen, or whatever he was doing, at least twice.

He couldn't determine what company they teamed up with to use this advertising model, but he found that the "cost" for disabling the pop-ups was to purchase the app for $2 bucks. He made it clear that he has no problem with developers trying to make money on their apps, but we can all probably agree, that this is definitely not the best way, especially on the Android. You may be able to browse the web on an Android, but that doesn't mean it is just a web-browser. Can you imagine getting a pop-up ad slowing you down while trying to make an emergency call? Simply ridiculous. Let's cross our fingers that this doesn't become a trend. Sound off in the forums if any of you have also experienced this.

Source: PhanDroid

chasehammer

Reaction score
i also see this as an issue now that some more people have tiered data...waste of more data downloading ads....if this gets to this point i give up on people, i think i finally stop getting popups on the internet on my PC now i have to worry about it on my phone too...sheesh people wake up and get a job instead of forcing people to close your d*** ad. :icon_evil:

silverfang77

Reaction score
I downloaded a live wallpaper of fireworks and noticed ads popping up in my notification bar. I haven't seen them in a while though.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dont like it. Why do they think many ppl use software that can disable pop ups? Cuz ppl dont like it. And some ppl that dont know how to disable it or cant disable it complain about the pop ups.

I dont like it. But....isnt this what Rovio did with Angry Birds when it first came out on Android? I guess in that case its a lil different, its in a game. But like you said, what if it got in the way of an emergency call? Didnt anyone even test this or think it through?

Detonation

Reaction score
Go Wallpaper Dev Team? As in the same devs who make the Go Apps (Launcher, SMS, etc)

I like GoSMS and use to use Go Launcher EX, but if this is their direction then I'm going to find alternative apps.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Angry birds is now even worse, ads often block the view of birds, video ads randomly appear, etc. There's a reason I use an outdated version of it...

Sent from somewhere in a strangereal world.

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Go Wallpaper Dev Team? As in the same devs who make the Go Apps (Launcher, SMS, etc)

I like GoSMS and use to use Go Launcher EX, but if this is their direction then I'm going to find alternative apps.

You got that right! I currently use Go Weather, but I'll be uninstalling the app if I start getting pop-up ads. :icon_frown:

Beardface

Reaction score
Whats most annoying about this is that (at least for me) this app has been on the main page of the Market as a "Featured App" for at least the past month. Pretty disturbing that Android would allow an app that is shady like this to be a Featured item.

mtnbkrbob

Reaction score
i seen this app in the market when i opened the market up today and thought it sounded cool but i didnt dwnload it. glad that i didnt now.

big al

Reaction score
I'd like to see Google market say whether the app is add free or not.
Given all the new tiered data issues arising I think people will want to know if a app is downloading anything else in the back ground besides the app use itself

virtualhuman

Reaction score
Gee, great time for AdFree to stop working! [for most people] :mad:

(In case you haven't been paying attention, since 0.7.6 and 0.7.7 dropped last weekend, ads are getting through and there's a weird message about aunthenticate/login/skip when you go to update the hosts file .......yes, everybody's rooted...)