Potential Virus on Galaxy Note 2

ekn

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, while browsing the web through the standard internet app, a message popped up on screen which said something like "www..... a virus has been detected on your galaxy note 2, to remove the threat click ok."
As there was no close button I clicked ok, the messaged then popped up again so again I clicked ok until it closed. This happened twice.
Im still worried there might be a virus present, so I downloaded NQ mobile security which detected no viruses and AVG which detected two viruses in apps (these two apps I uninstalled).
Is there any way of knowing if I still have a virus? And how would it best be removed?

Many thanks!!

xtor

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, while browsing the web through the standard internet app, a message popped up on screen which said something like "www..... a virus has been detected on your galaxy note 2, to remove the threat click ok."
As there was no close button I clicked ok, the messaged then popped up again so again I clicked ok until it closed. This happened twice.
Im still worried there might be a virus present, so I downloaded NQ mobile security which detected no viruses and AVG which detected two viruses in apps (these two apps I uninstalled).
Is there any way of knowing if I still have a virus? And how would it best be removed?

Many thanks!!

What are the 2 apps you removed?

sent from a note yee (2)

OP
E

ekn

Reaction score
Also, I just opened the internet app, and there was a page open which read "you've gone incognito. pages you view in this window wont appear in your browser history or...."
This page was not open when I received the virus message.
After receiving the virus message, I closed all open webpages.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I can't be 100% sure...but I think you got hit by a website that tries to sell virus and malware protection....ever bought a new lap top?? In my experience, right at the end of your trial Norton subscription, a pop up comes up and says you're under attack...and does this stupid simulated thing to make it appear as though you're under attack...

If you're not familiar with it..it can freak you out...I kind of think this might be what's happening to you, except a website is doing it..

I may be wrong...but though the hackers are getting close...I don't think there are any viruses for android yet...I could be wrong...

wcjeep

Reaction score
This sounds like a PC style virus. The pop up can be the actual virus. Clicking ok enables the virus. Whether you have the virus or not I can't answer. I've had pop ups like this in the past. I close the browser. Restart the phone. Pop-up is gone. I make a note not to go back to that website.

OP
E

ekn

Reaction score
I can't be 100% sure...but I think you got hit by a website that tries to sell virus and malware protection....ever bought a new lap top?? In my experience, right at the end of your trial Norton subscription, a pop up comes up and says you're under attack...and does this stupid simulated thing to make it appear as though you're under attack...

If you're not familiar with it..it can freak you out...I kind of think this might be what's happening to you, except a website is doing it..

I may be wrong...but though the hackers are getting close...I don't think there are any viruses for android yet...I could be wrong...

I was not lead to purchase any virus protection, so im not sure if this is the answer.
Will it usually take to a site to buy software etc?

OP
E

ekn

Reaction score
This sounds like a PC style virus. The pop up can be the actual virus. Clicking ok enables the virus. Whether you have the virus or not I can't answer. I've had pop ups like this in the past. I close the browser. Restart the phone. Pop-up is gone. I make a note not to go back to that website.

Because I clicked ok, is there anyway of finding out if I have the virus or not, or to ensure I completely remove it if there is one?
Thanks!