Post rooting

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Dj Carpenter, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Dj Carpenter

Dj Carpenter Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone mind answering some questions I have now that I am rooted? I have quite a few and I've read about all of it but I want tips and further details.

2. Abe21599

Abe21599 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +31
    Sure. What did you wanna accomplish?

Sent from my DROIDX

3. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,829
    Twitter:
    jstaff79
    Shoot.....

Sent from somewhere...

4. Dj Carpenter

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you! Well to start off, I know I need to create a backup. But how do I know to do either a nandroid or a recovery using Rom Manager? And do I have to create one every time I make a change?

5. jstafford1

Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,829
    Twitter:
    jstaff79
    You have two options. Use ROM manager to make a backup or do it manually in recovery. Either is a nandroid. It is good to make one when you make changes, because what you change may not play nice with your phone. Not everything works on every phone. There is some trial and error.

Sent from somewhere...

6. Dj Carpenter

Ratings:
    +0
    Mkay, thanks. And as far as ROMs go, how do I install that? I know I can use Rom Manger to do some but I don't know about others. And it lists all these numbers and letters for installing but I don't understand what to do. And being rooted and doing the right things will make my phone run faster and more efficiently, right? Because my Droid is running very slow now

7. jstafford1

Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,829
    Twitter:
    jstaff79
    Rooting in and of itself won't do anything. It just allows acces to make changes. You can get new kernels to make it faster and custom ROMs that are more efficient.

Where is it listing the numbers and letters? And can you give an example?

For installing ROMs that aren't in ROM manager you can boot into recovery and do it manually. I believe theirs a install from sdcard option in clockwork recovery and it let's you choose a zip. Just select the zip file for the ROM and it should install. I'm going a little from memory on this as I haven't used clockwork for a while.
    I think you can use the install from sd option in ROM manager as well.

Sent from somewhere...

8. Abe21599

Abe21599 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +31
    you can download roms off the rom section on DF here. take it and apply in recovery. the first post of a thread will give you directions on how to apply

rooted will make not make your phone perform any better/worse. its what you do with root that can make it faster and look cooler

9. Dj Carpenter

Ratings:
    +0
    Well now I don't know where I saw the numbers. I was looking at different ROMs and themes. Sorry. But I looked at the alternative dark theme for Saphire, I don't know if it's a ROM or just a theme but it had a clockwork install option and SPRecovery option. The root I used flashed SPRecovery onto my phone. So, I'm assuming I use that option for installing ROMs. But it said to install update.zip which is what I did for the root as well. Do I delete the zip I used to root my phone so it doesn't attempt to install that instead of the ROM or what? I'm sure I'm complicating this, sorry. I'm just trying to get familiar and you guys help a lot

10. Dj Carpenter

Ratings:
    +0
    That's for LithiumMod, not Saphire. Sorry. And it says they're full ROMs so that answers that. But I'm still confused about the zip issue

11. jstafford1

Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,829
    Twitter:
    jstaff79
    Ok....we will forget about the numbers for now then...

If you have sprecovery, then you cannot use ROM manager. That only works with clockwork recovery. Also if you make a backup in sprecovery you cannot restore it in clockwork, and vice versa.

The update.zip you used to root, delete it you don't need it anymore. Or if you want to hold onto it put it on you computer for safe keeping. You will install ROMs and most themes the same way you used that update.zip to root. Be careful though. If you want a theme it has to be compatible with the ROM you are running. They should list what they work with and have appropriate links. Install the ROM, make sure its working well, then install a theme. Be sure to make a backup of the good working ROM before flashing the theme.

Sent from somewhere...

12. Dj Carpenter

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, that's for clearing that up. I didn't know there was a different between those two. But for the LithiumMod, all of the themes are full ROMs, so how would I do that?