possibly upgrading from Moto Droid I- need advice

dlnp22

Reaction score
Hello guys and gals! I bought my Motorolla Droid back in March...first smart phone since my old POS Palm Treo years ago ;)

I'm not up for a new phone, but found a sweet deal on Amazon for a new Droid X for about $99.

Here's my dilemma, I know NOTHING about the other phones, but know a bit about my Droid I. I'm rooted, have been overclocking and flashing ROM's like a mofo for the past 7 months :)

With the Droid X, do I have the same capability to root and flash ROMS? All the ROMS I'm familiar with(UD, BB, etc,etc)- can I flash them to the X? Or will my choices/options be severely diminished? :(

Lastly- SHOULD I even bother with the X? I mean, I'd love the greater screen real estate, faster processor, NO keyboard(never use mine for anything).......did I just answer my own question? :)

Thanks in advance, everyone!

harrellj

Reaction score
As for all those ROMs you mentioned, there's not as many on the X, mainly due to it having a locked bootloader. Its only been within the last month or so that it was possible to get around the bootloader.

OP
D

dlnp22

Reaction score
That $100 is with a new contract sorry.

Thanks, but that wasn't one of my questions ;)

My wife is up for an upgrade(and will inherit my phone), and I've got my pointer on the final checkout button.

OP
D

dlnp22

Reaction score
As for all those ROMs you mentioned, there's not as many on the X, mainly due to it having a locked bootloader. Its only been within the last month or so that it was possible to get around the bootloader.

Ahhh...good to know.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Lastly- SHOULD I even bother with the X? I mean, I'd love the greater screen real estate, faster processor, NO keyboard(never use mine for anything).......did I just answer my own question? :)
Well, you have to answer that question. I wouldn't but the X is such a minimal incremental upgrade IMO as it doesn't have a 2+GHz processor, multiple cores or LTE. Your needs/wants can and probably do differ so my opinion or that of anyone else that doesn't have the same needs/wants isn't going to be germane to you. That really applies to anyone asking for buying advice for anything.

missrachel

Reaction score
Agreed ^^ you'll kick yourself around Christmas time when the 4G/LTE phones come out!!!!!!! You'll want a piece of that network!!!!! I know I sure do!! ...although a part of me NEVER wants to give up my rooted Droid, aka Hacker's Paradise... livin in a hacker's paradiseee..:icon_ lala:;)

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Unless you live in a major metro area, there's really no need for an LTE phone for the next year at least..... Verizon is launching LTE in cities, with no promise or schedule of when the rest of the country will get service.

I live and work 100 miles from LA -- there's no need for me to go LTE until I can use it at home, at work, and on the road inbetween.