Possibly just bad luck - No 4G.

mandragora

Reaction score
I just got my new Bionic at Costco and it is all setup. I have noticed however that I do not seem to be getting 4G. I checked and CDMA/LTE is selected but I am only seeing 3G. According to the Verizon map for 4G I should be in a 4G area (Suburbs of Phila, PA).

Is it possible I got a bad 4G radio?

Does anyone have any idea how I should debug this?

Thanks.

johnd09

Reaction score
Every other 4G phone has this problem, just a symptom of young network I think, it has connection problems all the time.

I don't know if the LTE on/off app works, but if you can get into the radio menu you should be able to force LTE. I know you can on the thunderbolt.
Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
mandragora

mandragora

Reaction score
Every other 4G phone has this problem, just a symptom of young network I think, it has connection problems all the time.

I don't know if the LTE on/off app works, but if you can get into the radio menu you should be able to force LTE. I know you can on the thunderbolt.

I don't know how to get into the radio menu. I have the Network mode set to CDMA/LTE. I tried switching it back and forth but it doesn't change anything.

johnd09

Reaction score
Dial *#*#4636#*#* in the dialer and it should take you into a menu and click phone info, or you can download the phone info app from the market. When you get into phone info scroll down and you will see cdma+lte/evdo in a bar. Touch the bar and change it to LTE and see if you pick it up. If it doesn't pick it up you will likely drop to 1x so you will want to change it back, but if it does, have fun. You could try a battery and sim pull too, but I would try to force first.

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
I had 4g on my Bionic for a few hours then it cut out and not even a factory reset could fix it. They gave me a new phone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
mandragora

mandragora

Reaction score
Dial *#*#4636#*#* in the dialer and it should take you into a menu and click phone info, or you can download the phone info app from the market. When you get into phone info scroll down and you will see cdma+lte/evdo in a bar. Touch the bar and change it to LTE and see if you pick it up. If it doesn't pick it up you will likely drop to 1x so you will want to change it back, but if it does, have fun. You could try a battery and sim pull too, but I would try to force first.

Thanks for the response.

I installed the app and and I do not have that option. Mine says GSM/CDMA auto (PRL). When I open the menu the option does not exist.

I noticed when they put the phone together that they added the LTE card. I thought they were putting in the Micro SD card but it was white (I saw the teardown of the phone and say that the LTE card is under the micro SD card. )

I think maybe this is a bad LTE card or something else is wrong with the phone.

johnd09

Reaction score
They may have forgot it, thunderbolt doesn't work without it, but the bionic maybe different since it uses the same cdma network as every other phone.

OP
mandragora

mandragora

Reaction score
It's working

They may have forgot it, thunderbolt doesn't work without it, but the bionic maybe different since it uses the same cdma network as every other phone.

Well, apparently the Verizon maps for 4G are slightly off. My area is in the 4G area on the map but close to the edge. I decided to go somewhere I absolutely knew had 4G and it worked. I watched it all the way home and the 4g went off 3 blocks from my house. :(

The good news is I will have 4G at work so that is something. I have this huge extended 4G area around me but apparently that is meaningless.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Bemaniac64

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. I took it to Verizon, and they had three people work on it for about an hour. Nobody could figure out the problem. They told me to take it back to Costco and see if they could replace it. Costco employees worked on it for another hour. Two hours, three hard resets, and a new SIM card later, still no luck. They said they put in a ticket to troubleshoot it, and someone will call me in 3-5 days. I'll let you guys know if they tell me anything useful. If not, I'm getting a different phone. -__-

mtr08004

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. I took it to Verizon, and they had three people work on it for about an hour. Nobody could figure out the problem. They told me to take it back to Costco and see if they could replace it. Costco employees worked on it for another hour. Two hours, three hard resets, and a new SIM card later, still no luck. They said they put in a ticket to troubleshoot it, and someone will call me in 3-5 days. I'll let you guys know if they tell me anything useful. If not, I'm getting a different phone. -__-

I got the same issue as above with the LTE missing from the status bar. I have had no LGE coverage basically since the a December upgrade pushed to my phone. I was rooted via Pete's tools, I lost that root after the upgrade. I rerooted using the one click method as Pete's method didn't work. I was ready to take this phone back to verizon so I unrooted. Poof... LTE back...

Anyone have a similar circumstance?