Possibly Bricked Droid!!! Where to Start??

B-Lot

Reaction score
Not sure where to start.

I have searched over a few different forums with instructions from: rooting to a ROM flash etc. The questions i have would span several different topics from charging/usb issues to obtaining a standard Verizon/image.

I have acquired a motorola droid that only comes up to the bootloader screen. when i have a battery that has an adequate charge my computer will recognize that there is a device attached via usb. It does not recognize it as any specific device. When the device has a charged battery it will show Battery OK. OK to program :USB. Unfortunately I am unable to perform any kind of mount through Usb. I have tried placing software versions directly as an update.zip file on the micro sd and trying to get to where the device would boot up completely with no luck. At this point the battery on the device has completely expired and does not seem to even attempt to charge. I was suspect that it may have been a bad usb cable or possibly an issue with a non OEM charger. I have purchased an OEM Moto charger/usb and a new battery (also OEM)with no positive results. The device did have an LED that would typically indicate that the charger was connected and what I assumed to mean was charging. Apparently it was not (charging) with the cable I was using at the time with an adapter from a mini usb to a micro usb. At this point that (LED) is not even visible when plugged in. I am wondering if one of my attempts to apply an OS version may have changed something on the device for it to not recognize the available charger connection. The Droid will power up while plugged in with the cable and I am able to get to the programming screen. I do not have any options to attempt a restore or anything of that nature. I can apply the update.zip, clear cache, factory reset or reboot. Factory reset ultimately aborts.

I have attempted to research the option of possibly re-flashing the rom with RDS or RSD Lite (don't recall which way that is at the moment) only to come to the realization that this process is still in the works as far as a current flash from MOTO or Verizon or a process (step instructions) to accomplish this procedure. I will continue to watch those threads.

As I mentioned before I had searched over several different threads and would likely have a post for quite a few different threads. My apologies for not posting individually in those threads. Mainly concerned with doing something out of a certain order that might hinder any chance of success with the device. I am hoping that someone who may have any suggestions and specific instructions, on which of these items i should address first and so on, might be able to assist me.

Any help or thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dont think he has SPRecovery because of his options in recovery that he listed, he can only apply update.zip. He never mentioned nandroid or anything of that nature...if he did have SPRecovery, he would be able to mount system and his sdcard and then just apply something that way, or even simpler, apply a nandroid backup. That's why SPRecovery is so helpful because if this happens, you still have options...

That's the way I understood his post. But I could be completely wrong as to what he is talking about...I don't really know

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
B

B-Lot

Reaction score
Thanks I will try the usb drivers.

I did not have any opportunity to get any kind of backup. I had downloaded a few different apps for sure the android sdk but have deleted them presently to start from scratch. If there are specific details for nandroid download and configuration/process instructions i will be glad to download the apps and work from there. What is the SP recovery? If anyone has a blank backup or a default from VZW I would love to try either. I am open for any thoughts.

Back to the usb drivers. At this point the device will not charge. should i try to attempt applying anything to the device to see if i can get it to recognize that it is plugged in. I am assuming the drivers are mainly for the computers OS.

I definitely appreciate the responses.

Tats or nate would either of you be willing to give me hand through PM when or if you have the time?

Thanks again.

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
If you can boot to programming, you might be able to root. I dunno. Trying beats having a brick. You WILL need a way to write to the SD card, however. If you don't have a card reader, they're pretty cheap. Try following this thread, see if they have a way to get in

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...step-step-no-adb-involved-noob-challenge.html

If you can apply THAT update.zip, you should be in business. The virgin OEM.zip is stock factory rom. Only concern is how you will be able to enter the terminal emulator.

You can also just try running the update.zip from here.

AllDroid - View topic - [ROM] Bugless Beast [950MHz & Wifi] V0.7.2 (2/1/10)

I am by no means an expert, just presenting options to possibly unbrick, since worse case scenario is that it remains bricked. Read the threads, ask some questions if you decide you wanna try it. There are people who will know far more than I posting in those threads.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
First off if the device even turns on it is NOT bricked... people REALLY need to STOP posting about bricked phones... there has not been a 'screwed' up Droid that has been completely brick and nonrecoverable. Now with that check this thread, guy did the same thing and starting around page 3 he found the solution...

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/19676-bricked.html

Last edited:
OP
B

B-Lot

Reaction score
Thanks for the thread links. I have tried several of the update files no luck as of yet. The phone will turn on to the boot screen flashing battery low Cannot program if i leave the phone on there it will continue flashing that statement and then it reboots then will continue and reboot again. reboots continually and will not charge no luck with any of the update files. I am still trying some of the step by steps. Hopeful that i can get it to live. I have one script that errors on a cdma file and then aborts that seems to be the closes to getting anything to stick. I have one update (1).zip that seems to give me a successful root. but the phone still only powers to the boot screen. Anyways I will keep trying. Thanks again.

OP
B

B-Lot

Reaction score
No the battery will not charge. that is with an OEM cable and charger plugged in to the puter or wall. While plugged to the computer i have the LED indicating a connection, on the wall it is not there (I assume the LED states connection or charging) I am thinking it is something software related and hopefully if I can finally get an update image to work that it will begin to charge.

OP
B

B-Lot

Reaction score
Ok current situation is: I have been able to install the signed voles....... file as an update.zip to the droid. I can (while the phone is plugged in to the wall charger) power the unit on and boot successfully, connect to wifi and surf and what appears to be use the phone to most of its capabilities. I am still unable to get the unit to charge. I had asked in the droidmod irc if the droid relied on a software parameter to allow charging. One of the replies was that i needed to enable usb debugging. I have done so but the unit still does not seem to want to charge. voltage off of the battery connector in the phone only shows about 2 volts which is not adequate for charging. Cable is producing full 5 volts of current. Is there a modification that needs to be placed in the .zip file to allow higher voltage for charging?

droidkm

Reaction score
if i were you i would totally wipe and go back to stock to make sure it is working properly. then if it still won't charge it can be returned or whatever, and if it will you can go from there and re-root off a cleanly working phone.