Possible Ways to Crack the Bootloader

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
^a lot of people on this forum have nothing better to do so they come on here trolling & being a contrary Nance.Someone posted this on twitter the other day. You can replace the iPhone reference with any android issue. I think it fits this thread like a glove.
aefc979d-4a94-02dd.jpg

PalmerCurling

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
^a lot of people on this forum have nothing better to do so they come on here trolling & being a contrary Nance.Someone posted this on twitter the other day. You can replace the iPhone reference with any android issue. I think it fits this thread like a glove.
aefc979d-4a94-02dd.jpg

Head of nail has been hit.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is the entire issue: we are not unified. Wug is the only one with a plan, as solid or not as it may or may not be. Unless anyone else can come up with something concrete, I am with Wug. The dude knows what he is looking at, and knows what's going on. Im with Wug till his plans sink or sail.

I think the people who are saying it won't work are seeing the realism in the situation, and not just being negative for the sake of being negative. Many people, including Wug, have already stated that they know that cracking the bootloader (in the conventional sense of brute forcing or somehow "discovering" the keys) is not going to happen. The petition thing, it's a great idea but the fact of the matter is, less than 1% of anything is never going to make a change, no matter how awesome it would be if it did. Let's be real, Moto is not going to say "OMGGGGG, .07% (made up number) of our customer base is going to boycott us, we must take stern action!!"

The final thing is Wug's "plan" which he hasn't revealed. Whatever that is, I can't comment on cuz I don't know it. But, as stated before, if something realistic is provided, people, myself included, would not be negative about it. So far, that hasn't happened.

Saying "Solidarity, brother!!" doesn't work in this case, because (1) there is no solidarity and (2) the people you're complaining to don't care.

armedmonkey

Reaction score
This is the entire issue: we are not unified. Wug is the only one with a plan, as solid or not as it may or may not be. Unless anyone else can come up with something concrete, I am with Wug. The dude knows what he is looking at, and knows what's going on. Im with Wug till his plans sink or sail.

I think the people who are saying it won't work are seeing the realism in the situation, and not just being negative for the sake of being negative. Many people, including Wug, have already stated that they know that cracking the bootloader (in the conventional sense of brute forcing or somehow "discovering" the keys) is not going to happen. The petition thing, it's a great idea but the fact of the matter is, less than 1% of anything is never going to make a change, no matter how awesome it would be if it did. Let's be real, Moto is not going to say "OMGGGGG, .07% (made up number) of our customer base is going to boycott us, we must take stern action!!"

The final thing is Wug's "plan" which he hasn't revealed. Whatever that is, I can't comment on cuz I don't know it. But, as stated before, if something realistic is provided, people, myself included, would not be negative about it. So far, that hasn't happened.

Saying "Solidarity, brother!!" doesn't work in this case, because (1) there is no solidarity and (2) the people you're complaining to don't care.

This.

Seriously though. I know I'm aggressive, but my point is along the lines of what czerdrill said. I'm tired of people coming up with useless, futile ideas and getting everyone's hopes up for nothing. We don't KNOW Wug's plan yet, but when he tells us, we probably want to be all behind him, not off trying to do different crap.

PalmerCurling

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I cannot discuss the plan, but Wug gave me a brief summary.

What I can say is this:

You WANT to be behind us if you wanna win (assuming it comes to the plan)

We NEED you behind us if we wanna win (once again, if it comes to using Wugs plan.)

Im not at liberty to say any more.

armedmonkey

Reaction score
I respect that. Do you understand what I'm saying though? For every person who thinks it's better to "write a petition", that's one less person you have behind you.

PalmerCurling

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Absolutely but I counter with this:

the petition is phase one.

Depending on how it turns out, phase two may or may not be necessary, depending on the success of the petition.

If the petition succeeds, phase two is moot.

If the petition fails, then we initiate phase two and those who signed the petition are more then likely to join the cause.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Absolutely but I counter with this:

the petition is phase one.

Depending on how it turns out, phase two may or may not be necessary, depending on the success of the petition.

If the petition succeeds, phase two is moot.

If the petition fails, then we initiate phase two and those who signed the petition are more then likely to join the cause.

But this falls back to my original point. There is no solidarity. Most of the people here with their "VZW sucks bro, I'm boycotting them" are the same ones who bought the TB en masse and will buy the next cool when it comes out. It's a lot of smoke blowing and internet bravado. When it comes down to it, you're not gonna see thousands of people behind you. It's just the truth.

shadow559

Reaction score
I like the "pass around a petition". Lets go the democratic way lol

Sent from my VM670 using DroidForums App

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Just so you guy knows. I am not trying to be all secretive and have every intention of releasing what I have been working on, it just needs revisions. I don't want to release it preemptively without really making sure I am happy with it, and that my thoughts are well organized. I am also aware that the community really wants a solution, so I am very motivated to pull through and present you all with something that is well thought out and realistic. Please note, that when I release it, I am not going to be offended one bit by people scrutinizing every detail, in fact I encourage it. Although this is something that I personally came up with, I think it will become much stronger once we have everybody thinking about it, giving me feedback, and asking questions. I have a lot of it written out, but like I said, it needs revisions. I wish I could give you a brief description, but the plan is reliant on every single components and really needs to be laid out as one complete thought. I understand that people are impatient and I almost regret stating that I had a plan until I had more of written out, but I am working very hard to get it completed asap. I may be able to release it tonight, but lets just say tomorrow to give me an extra days buffer. Again, I am sorry for making the claim without having the writing ready to back it up, but I promise you all that am not just making things up. Thank you again for those who believe in me and I will do my very best to not let you down.

{{ WugFresh }}

Last edited:

armedmonkey

Reaction score
Petition if you must, but saying that "petition is step 1" is analogous to saying "well, I'm going to sacrifice a goat, and if after two full moons the cancer isn't gone, i'll see some doctors". Just wasting your time.

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I don't know if they would, but it would be really nice If I could get groubal to send out an email to all the petitioners to redirect them to the new plan when I publish it to the web. Just a thought...

Alright.. back to writing, talk to you all later.

{{ WugFresh }}

Brennan_Huber

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Alright Ive gotten the word out some and got over my sickness so is the plan the same? App for email and petition and an @home for fun?

bplewis24

Reaction score
I haven't kept up with this thread, but I felt this was a relevant news topic: Sony Ericsson to Provide Bootloader Unlocking Website for New Line of Xperia Phones

XperiaBlog.net spotted a comment by one of their engineers who confirmed that the process would be publicized in the upcoming weeks.

They’ll have a website for those interested to go to where they can submit their IMEI number. Upon doing so, you’ll receive an unlock key for the bootloader that you can use in Fastboot to free those proverbial chains.

This is similar to what we have discussed as a compromise between the manufacturers protecting against warranty fraud and the users having ultimate control over their devices.

Also, if Wug is still working on his letter to the manufacturers/carriers, he can use this stance by Sony Ericsson to bolster his plea.

Brandon