Possible to Load an Alternate Android UI/SBF onto Droid X?

Redjak

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've seen a lot of posts on modding and using ROMs and such. I just went through the process of updating to Gingerbread on my Droid X. When I say process, I mean it was an ordeal I don't wish to repeat anytime soon...I tried multiple times, around 6, to update by going to Settings>About Phone>System Updates, to no avail. It would always download the update, reboot, and stop the installation at about 1/4 of the way through. I was rooted with Z4Root and had Droid 2 Bootstrap running (Droid X Bootstrap wasn't available when I got my version), and I read system updates don't work with it running. I tried getting the rooted version of the .sbf that's floating around the internet, but the first part wouldn't install and my phone got stuck in a bootloop. I then had to completely wipe Android off my phone, download the original Droid X .sbf file from Google, and, using Ubuntu Linux, put it back on my phone, wiping out all my apps and data and such that doesn't sync with my Google account. Anyway, I'm starting to get everything back that I used to have, but I never really realized how much I HATE Motoblur, because I always used an alternative launcher. I'm trying to stick with stock for a little while because the performance is better, and I actually prefer the new Gingerbread keyboard over Better Keyboard 8.

ANYWAY...to the meat of the topic...as I stated, Motoblur is awful. It's ugly, doesn't feel like Android, and just all around awful. It's focused on social networking, which I don't do much of. I was wondering, since I was able to re-flash the original Droid X .sbf that came on the phone, would it be possible to run a different UI? Not a ROM, mind you...when I think of ROM I think of a modded version of the .sbf file. I'm talking like, if I could find the TouchWiz.sbf file, the one that comes on the Fascinate, or SenseUI somewhere online, the untouched, unmodded, completely stock version of the UI, would it be possible to put it on my Droid X and run it? Any advice/problems would be useful, so I'm open to any input besides "I don't know." :) Thanks!

WilfulHippo

Reaction score
Well you could use a aosp rom, Android Open Source Project... http://source.android.com/ it is pure android with no blur components ie. Blur or sense which if you don't want a rom which you think of as with mods just compile a build from source and you will have a aosp rom and a pure android rom why not try liberty aosp rom it is very basic and no blur and fast. I can compile a aosp rom for you if needed

androidgeek

Reaction score
Try using the stock launcher, its what I do. Pulled it out of android 2.3.5 rom for Droid 1

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
R

Redjak

Reaction score
Wilfulhippo, I just might take you up on that offer for help...I very much want to have a sort of hybrid OS, but I was looking through the steps and I don't think I even have enough space on my computer to run all the stuff they need for making the custom ROM. If you wouldn't mind helping me, could I PM you the kind of features I'm looking for and either have you compile it for me or give me a basic walkthrough? I'm fairly good with computers so chances are I'll be able to do what I need to do if you give me a sort of starting point.

Androidgeek... >.< that's really not at all what this post is about...like, in any way haha. The point of this is that I want to make my own version of Android.