Possible to extract .APK for VPN Client?

cybrwulf

Reaction score
I am not sure how the built in VPN Client on the D2 Global is to the OS, but can someone see if its possible to extract an .apk of the VPN client to be used on the Droid, D2, DX?

Thanks!:icon_ banana:

leobg

Reaction score
I am not sure how the built in VPN Client on the D2 Global is to the OS, but can someone see if its possible to extract an .apk of the VPN client to be used on the Droid, D2, DX?

I did extract it last night using a dump somebody posted. But there is a huge show stopper - vpn client uses special kernel module called vpnclient.ko which of course won't load on a kernel that it is not compiled against. On the beta Milestone 2.6.32 kernel I was trying on, this module refuses to load. Without the kernel module, VPN client will not function.
Situation is similar to get-a-robot-vpnc and OpenVPN both of which require tun.ko module supported by kernel.

OP
C

cybrwulf

Reaction score
I am glad someone gave it a shot. I sort of figured there would be kernel hooks in there. Oh well, will just have to wait it out for a real Cisco vpn client... coming any day now.... zzzzz

leobg

Reaction score
get-a-robot-vpnc is not bad at all considering you can find working tun.ko module for your kernel. Most of the devices have tun.ko available, all you need to do is just look around. As long as manufacturer released kernel source code, you've got no problem compiling one yourself either.
I can confirm get-a-robot-vpnc works excellent with Cisco ASA/PIX - split tunel and everything is just fine. Even RSA token authentication if you are using one.

arich57

Reaction score

I did extract it last night using a dump somebody posted. But there is a huge show stopper - vpn client uses special kernel module called vpnclient.ko which of course won't load on a kernel that it is not compiled against. On the beta Milestone 2.6.32 kernel I was trying on, this module refuses to load. Without the kernel module, VPN client will not function.
Situation is similar to get-a-robot-vpnc and OpenVPN both of which require tun.ko module supported by kernel.

Since I have a D2G, would there be a way to use the vpnclient.ko to create an openVPN connection? I'm new to Droid stuff and I'm not sure what all I need to do to get openVPN to work. I think I need to find a tun.ko but not sure if that is there by default.

Thanks for the help.

leobg

Reaction score

Since I have a D2G, would there be a way to use the vpnclient.ko to create an openVPN connection? I'm new to Droid stuff and I'm not sure what all I need to do to get openVPN to work. I think I need to find a tun.ko but not sure if that is there by default.

Thanks for the help.

I won't be surprised if the kernel module in D2G provides some sort of tun interface. If that's the case, it should be relatively simple to adjust OpenVPN to work with it. I will be experimenting with VPN as soon as I receive my D2G, which hopefully will be tomorrow... The support of native VPN's like Cisco and Netscreen is the prime reason I am getting this phone.

shagoyjo

Reaction score
OpenVPN, a solution to most vpn questions. Also, usually better to try and use a community supported open source program than a kernel module we can't see inside. :)

leobg

Reaction score
OpenVPN, a solution to most vpn questions. Also, usually better to try and use a community supported open source program than a kernel module we can't see inside. :)

I love OpenVPN too, but the problem of how do you get tun support on most (all) stock devices remains. OpenVPN is a nice thing (SSL VPN), very flexible and easy to use, but it is still dependant on tun device which, for whatever reason, manufacturers keep NOT including in the retail kernels. Neither built-in nor as a loadable module.

D2G has got a true IPsec VPN client which is teriffic, however documentation on how to provision the client is lacking (FAQ on Moto support forums say "refer to documentation", but that documentation is nowhere to be found at least for now.

shagoyjo

Reaction score
leobg, I guess what I was saying was that one should be able to compile tun.ko, but one cannot possibly compile vpnclient.ko, as we don't have the source. In other words although it still would require some work, it'd be easier to get ipsec openvpn running on any given device than this thing that verizon sent us. But then again, I don't think we're really in disagreement about that. We compile ourselves tun/tap drivers for a given phone, and openvpn is golden.