Possible to disable Canadian tower signals acceptance?

Darev

Reaction score
I work in Detroit at the Renaissance Center and my phone will periodically connect to the Canadian (Verizon) cell towers. Is there a way to prevent this? I've tried to update the PRL via *228 but it apparently doesn't work on 4G phones with a SIM card. I'm not convinced it would work anyway as my 2nd phone (work) is a Blackberry and it does the same thing (I am able to update the PRL on that device).

I'm hoping someone knows how to prevent it from connecting to the Canadian signal. The phone asks me if I want to enable data while roaming, which is nice, but I don't want it to see/use the signal at all.

Thanks.

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
Have you tried from the home screen... settings/wireless&networks/mobile networks/system select and click home only... its defaulted to automatic... lemme know if that works... I'm not in an area where I could ever test that and I've wondered if it kills roaming all together

OP
D

Darev

Reaction score
Have you tried from the home screen... settings/wireless&networks/mobile networks/system select and click home only... its defaulted to automatic... lemme know if that works... I'm not in an area where I could ever test that and I've wondered if it kills roaming all together
I had previously seen that option, but it was grayed out. The system select options aren't available when the Network Mode is set to CDMA/LTE. When I set network mode to CDMA only, I could change the System Select as you suggested. I then put Network Mode back to CDMA/LTE. The system select grayed out again, but I think the 'home only' choice was kept. As I very rarely travel, I'm not concerned about roaming being disabled as a whole (if that is what will happen).

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
I had previously seen that option, but it was grayed out. The system select options aren't available when the Network Mode is set to CDMA/LTE. When I set network mode to CDMA only, I could change the System Select as you suggested. I then put Network Mode back to CDMA/LTE. The system select grayed out again, but I think the 'home only' choice was kept. As I very rarely travel, I'm not concerned about roaming being disabled as a whole (if that is what will happen).

Shoot... I didn't think of that... I don't have 4G in my area so I'm always leaving my phone on CDMA to conserve battery... I think if you're in CDMA/LTE it's still gonna try to hookup to the strongest signal

z96Cobra

Reaction score
If you're on a stock ROM try..... Settings-battery & data manager-data delivery and check box for disable data while roaming. I'm running Liberty ROM and no longer have this option, YMMV.

OP
D

Darev

Reaction score
Shoot... I didn't think of that... I don't have 4G in my area so I'm always leaving my phone on CDMA to conserve battery... I think if you're in CDMA/LTE it's still gonna try to hookup to the strongest signal
After I switched it yesterday I didn't have any further issues. So far today it's been working fine as well. As a bonus, so far, it hasnt' even dropped out of 4G to 3G as the phone has been doing lately. I think it's working. Thanks for your help!