possible to browse the web while on a plane??

crspang

Reaction score
no it has logic.
its already been proven that one doesn't interfere on many myth shows. So either many could or its just another why the government wants to control everyone.

I think its the airline's way of enforcing "courtesy".

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
no it has logic.
its already been proven that one doesn't interfere on many myth shows. So either many could or its just another why the government wants to control everyone.

Does not matter what the myth shows have proven...Failure to follow the rules on an aircraft can land you in handcuffs....Once they shut the door, passengers are required to follow their rules, period.....So to each his own.

sockmess

Reaction score
Does not matter what the myth shows have proven...Failure to follow the rules on an aircraft can land you in handcuffs....Once they shut the door, passengers are required to follow their rules, period.....So to each his own.

like i said the government way of keeping more control. Obviously 9/11 shown that many cellphones can be used while the plane is close to the ground. So the only other issue is maybe it can do something during liftoff and landing.

Which is unlikely.
Just because its a rule doesn't mean its there for a reason other than annoyance.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

like i said the government way of keeping more control. Obviously 9/11 shown that many cellphones can be used while the plane is close to the ground. So the only other issue is maybe it can do something during liftoff and landing.

Which is unlikely.
Just because its a rule doesn't mean its there for a reason other than annoyance.

Want to test it first hand? I'll pay for the flight after your released from custody....

sockmess

Reaction score
i left my phone and other electronics on many times... by accident of course. And the flight was unaffected and not even noticed. Keep your phone on in your pocket and watch nothing happen.

MrTommy

Reaction score
While I don't want to get into the discussion (he says as he types in a comment), I frankly wouldn't want to fly on an airplane that could be so easily disrupted simply because of a phone - or phones. If that were the case, terrorists would be flying in droves, turning on cell phones all day long and doing whatever you have to do to cause disruptions in flight.

I agree with the poster who said it's probably just the FAA's (and airline's) way to keep droves of inconsiderate people from sitting there all through the flight talking and talking and talking - and irritating everyone else. I hate being around people who MUST talk on the phone all the time - in stores, busses, trains, restaurants, bars, or just walking down the street. :mad:

sockmess

Reaction score
but they let you talk on their pay phone service while in the air and if you have a satellite phone you can talk as soon as the plane is at its assigned altitude. Plus one could easily be annoyed with music or movies. The FAA is just lazy on updating.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
but they let you talk on their pay phone service while in the air and if you have a satellite phone you can talk as soon as the plane is at its assigned altitude. Plus one could easily be annoyed with music or movies. The FAA is just lazy on updating.

I'm glad they are lazy...Who wants to sit next to anyone yaking on their phone for a 3 or 4 hour flight....considering that when you fly you are almost sitting in one anothers laps....

sockmess

Reaction score
you would never have them talk that long Lift Off is rarely more than 30 minutes. And thats with a lot of holding and a bad crew at the tower. Cellphone service stops at around 20,000 ft. You either would need a satellite phone or use the aircraft wifi and use a VOIP service.

Remember FAA rules say you cant use electronic devices on lift off and landing. So if it was possible to get normal cellphone service that high you can talk all you want and the FAA won't care.

skiahh

Reaction score
"No" is not the correct answer. As long as the plane has wifi (sometimes they offer it at a small cost), you can connect to the internet via a wifi connection. Just make sure your phone is in airplane mode to avoid interference

Hmmm... forgot about the onboard wifi systems.

well you never see a car electronics go haywire when your phone goes off right? and theres a lot more cars than planes so it would be more likely if a phone could interfere with an electronic system it would happen in a vehicle.

as for the number, it was pulled out of my ass. But that has to be the only reason why we have to turn off all electronics (phones, mp3 players, portable game systems and dvd players) Just on the freak chance that many of them will send off a signal on the same frequency at the same time.

You're comparing car electronics and airplane electronics and deeming a car's more likely to show impact because there are more cars? Have you considered the complexity between the two?

And, it's not the airplane's electronics as much as its communication and navigation systems. The signals a plane receives for its navigation (GPS, VOR/TACAN, transponder, ACARS, HF, LORAN, though I don't know of anyone who uses this anymore). Interfere with the reception of these signals and you might wind up in Africa or something.

Personally, I'm skeptical that they interfere. But, I guess some engineer somewhere probably showed that there was the chance (maybe it was if 50 phones were all operating at the same time or something) that cell signals could interfere with those other signals.

I also heard it was an FCC rule where the alititude of the phones could cause them to hit multiple towers simultaneously causing system problems.

Who knows?

sockmess

Reaction score
Trust me a car electronics is just as sensitive as the aircraft.

Vor opeartes on VHF and tacan on UHF. Cell phone siginals are in the FM range which is why if you had a descrambler you can pick it up on a childs walkie talkie if you come upon one on the same ferquency. GPS of course is sateilte