Possible solution for "low on space" notification

parfu

Reaction score
Seems to me that this is a system issue. So many of us never had this problem until the last couple of months. It would be nice if VZW/HTC would issue some sort of notice acknowledging the problem and advise us when to expect a fix.

I had the same issue with short batter life right after the 2.2 update. Within a couple of days the problem went away and my batter life was actually better than before the update (I did make some tweeks but still had the battery life issue for a day or so).

Anyway, I'm betting that it's a system glitch. I'm not making any radical changes just yet.

parfu

Reaction score
Well, I didn't make any drastic changes...

1) I went into menu, settings, accounts & sync and opted out of Background data as well as changing manage accounts settings to turn off those I'm not as interested in (though I actually did it in reverse order so I think the opt out would have turned off all the accounts).

2) also went to menu, settings, applications, manage applications and moved my Dolphin Browser to my SD card. I guess I had only moved the Cache last time I was in there.

As usual, since I did 2 different changes I'm not sure which one made the message go away this time. I'll alert if it comes back.

parfu

Reaction score
I call B/S on this msg crap

I give up.
Msg was gone for a few days. I installed 2 new apps and msg came back. I uninstalled those apps and msg went away for most of the day. Then it came back - with a vengance: no updates allowed and texting blocked.

Went and deleted more apps and moved all available to SD card. Now I have the Low on Space message AND Not Enough Storage Space for SM (something - it's cut off on my screen but assume SMS) = says my phone's storage is almost full (versus low application space).

Internal Phone Storage Total = 6.60G Available = 6.41G
SD Card Total = 14.96G Available = 11.23G

This is ridiculous....

parfu

Reaction score
Reboot

Well, after moving all available apps to SD card, deleting others and then doing *228, option 2 (per another forum), my phone entered the boot-loop death spiral.

Only option was to restore phone. VZW dude was unaware of the low space issue. He did suggest I give HTC and/or Google a call if the msg comes back.

Thank goodness for AppBrain, Flickr, Ringdroid, Google/Gmail and the many other Apps that provide a smooth restore functionality.

If you're still getting the msg I suggest you make sure to back up all info before you end up having to reboot.

MagicMiloX

Reaction score
If you're rooted, download Root Explorer and browse to /data/data. It's a separately created partition on the phone. If the free space in this folder drops below I think it's 15MB, you get the warning.

This is correct. You could have 500mb free and if somehow the data folder gets past 135mb or so, you will get the error.

I've been tracking this problem, and this makes total and complete sense. When people are saying "I deleted X app and it went away for a bit, but then came back." I can only assume that when people are deleting these apps, yes, they are freeing up some of the associated data in this partition, but then it quickly gets filled back up. They think they're deleting 12mb, but the actual amount they are freeing up is much smaller, just the data. And then, people like me are seeing they have 500 mb free for apps, yet the message keeps coming back! This problem really isn't a bug, per se, just poor engineering by HTC. I'm going to go through and delete DATA on the offending apps through my app manager as you can see what apps have written data in there.

There has to be a way to get some kind of sticky for the "low space" warning, or does everyone just have few enough apps installed for it to not matter?

MagicMiloX

Reaction score
Just deleted a bunch of data, I was right around the 15 mb which would have triggered my low space warning, and now I have about 26mb available. I'll update on here to see if this solved my problem.

parfu

Reaction score
Reboot Fix?

Since I had to reboot back in mid May I haven't had ANY problems with low space or anything else. I've reinstalled virtually all the apps I previously had. I have not activated Lookout this go around.

The one odd thing I've noticed is that I now have 7 home screens. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't I used to only have 5?

Anyway, it might be worth it to make sure all your information is backed up in some fashion, including your apps (I used BrainApp and was able to reinstall my entire lineup) and then do a reboot. So far it's been better than dealing with the warning and trying to figure out every couple of days what to delete.

Good Luck!

alphanumerritt

Reaction score
Is it possible to make the data partition causing this problem any bigger? Anyone know if/how? Seems like it could save some headaches.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

JLG1329

Reaction score
I've been having this same problem and I have been constantly deleting apps but it keeps coming back today. It usually comes back when I had downloaded a new app but today it just started on its own.
I currently have 7.16 GB free on the SD card, 6.19 GB on Internal Storage and 605 MB on the phone memory. I'm barely using 10% of the memory but it says I'm low on space.

Has anyone actually come up with a solution?

This is getting frustrating, because I currently can't receive emails because of the warning.

snakep

Reaction score
It seems like the amount of available phone memory you have isn't the issue. When I first got the message, I checked my usage and only had around 10 MB available. Since then, I've followed all of the suggestions for deleting cache, removing unnecessary apps, etc. and now I have 38 MB available, which still isn't much. Something is using a lot of space, but I don't know what. Also, it seems like a lot of other people have plenty of phone memory available, and still get the same problem.

I don't have root (and can't get it currently because I can't install a terminal emulator or any other app), but I think I saw somebody mention that there is a separate section of /data/data that might be filling up. Could somebody confirm this? Also, could somebody explain the partition structure?

Nepherael

Reaction score
I didn't read every single post so this may have been mentioned but this is what I do to fix this problem. When i get the warning I actually fill up my phone storage more. I put all apps that are on my sd card over to my phone then I power off and back on.

Boom problem solved. It'll come up once a month or so and I just rinse and repeat. Oh and after the warning goes away I will put a couple large apps over to sd card so I have something to move back to my phone when the warning comes.

This leads me to believe there is some sort of error in programming that causes the phone to think once it gets to a certain MB usage that it's lot more full than it really is and going over this arbitrary amount or under it takes the warning away.