Possible solution for "low on space" notification

CBLJazz

Reaction score
A FACTORY RESET is not an option for most people so i've been looking elsewhere for solutions to this annoying notification memory problem.
My research has shown me that this error doesn't appear to be the same for everyone.

1. Some people have a problem with the HTC mail app (better settings below)
  2. Some people have a problem with the internet browser cache.
  3. Some people have a problem with the Peep cache.
  4. Some people have too many messages- have to delete
  5. Some people have an insanely large call history- have to delete

HTC MAIL SETTINGS- these settings changes had a short term affect (one week)

SETTING 1
MAIL>Menu>more>Settings>General settings>Temporary attachment storage> sd card

SETTING 2
Send & receive> mail size limit> no limit

My possible solution- hopefully long term
Clear the contact storage cache
SETTINGS>APPLICATIONS>MANAGE APPLICATIONS>CONTACT STORAGE>clear cache

I'm curious if this solution is longterm or not.
I cleared the peep and browser cache but it only helped for 2 days.
Taking off the HTC MAIL app also only had a temporary effect.

Does clearing the CONTACT STORAGE cache have a long term effect?

Last edited:

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I had this problem the day before yesterday. I went through, manually cleared the caches through manage applications in settings and removed some old apps, even though i was nowhere near the limit. Somewhere, something along the way freed the memory up again. Honestly, I'm still not sure what did it. But my gut feeling is along the way the memory doesn't necessarily get filled, it develops a "logjam" with an app or program and you just have to hit the specific area to free it up. If it comes back up again and I find out anything more solid, I'll let you know immediately.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
I still have the same problem but now I can't update or download any apps. Any idea on how to fix that?

haru3173

Reaction score
Got the same problem yesterday all I did was uninstall the apps that was recently updated or installed and it went away.
SETTING 2
Send & receive> mail size limit> no limit

Just a question but doesn't that setting applies when you open your mail and you have the option to load the images because of the kb limit size. Why would you make it no limit when it just adds more data on your storage? I have it set to 5kb btw.

OP
CBLJazz

CBLJazz

Reaction score
My worst nightmare came true

The error came back yesterday so the Contact storage cache solution attempt was short term.

I had to delete an app.
I also emptied the trash on all email accounts.

Those two steps appear to have made a difference. The error went away.
who knows how long.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
The error came back yesterday so the Contact storage cache solution attempt was short term.

I had to delete an app.
I also emptied the trash on all email accounts.

Those two steps appear to have made a difference. The error went away.
who knows how long.

Just wondering, what app was it that you deleted?

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
I still have the same problem but now I can't update or download any apps. Any idea on how to fix that?

I know I had that problem and for some reason, I went through and deleted a bunch of apps I no longer used and it seemed to clear up the problem. I read somewhere - though I have no idea if it's true - 75-100 apps might bog it down to where updates might not want to download.
I had about 85 and took it down to about 50 and it worked fine after that. Was able to get the pending updates installed.

Now, it could have been one specific app I deleted, or coming in under that ceiling. Can't say for sure - but just throwing it into the discussion.

smoknjo

Reaction score
low space

for me it ended up being Twitter, I cleared the cache on twitter and poof, low space notification gone ... I only have twitter cause there is a problem with Peep

just an FYI ... thank you guys

mthokie21

Reaction score
I just got the low space message today for the first time. Now I can't receive any text messages, I'm getting a notification message that says texts are being rejected because the text message memory is full...I deleted all my texts, but still getting the text message full/texts rejected error. Any solutions?

OP
CBLJazz

CBLJazz

Reaction score
I just got the low space message today for the first time. Now I can't receive any text messages, I'm getting a notification message that says texts are being rejected because the text message memory is full...I deleted all my texts, but still getting the text message full/texts rejected error. Any solutions?

it's complicated. I wish it were a matter of simply

• deleting apps
  • not using htc mail/ changing settings
  • deleting cache
  • turning off twitter contact sync
  • deleting call history
  • deleting old sms messages
  • delete extra htc facebook account
  • reseting your phone
the sad truth is i've done all of the above and that was the only solution.

RESET PHONE
was big- took an hour to get everything back with APP BRAIN.
These apps are helping the problem never happen again:

QUICK APP CLEAN CACHE

Quick App Clean Cache - Android app on AppBrain

SMS CLEANER PRO

SMS Cleaner Pro - Android app on AppBrain

CALL LOG CLEANER PRO

Call Log Cleaner Pro - Android app on AppBrain

i also deleted the extra htc facebook account- cause it was unnecessary.

Turned off facebook and twitter sync and put in photos manually.
'The photos was time consuming but worth saving memory.

Last edited:

haru3173

Reaction score
if that doesn't help I would suggest not using the stock email and messages app. This bug never appeared again after I deleted some apps and used K9 email app and handcent mms. From what I've heard the main cause of this is the stock mail app.

OP
CBLJazz

CBLJazz

Reaction score
if that doesn't help I would suggest not using the stock email and messages app. This bug never appeared again after I deleted some apps and used K9 email app and handcent mms. From what I've heard the main cause of this is the stock mail app.

those solutions were only temporary for me.
i had to reset and make major changes.
the dinc is an amazing phone with battery and memory bugs.

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
I tried all the things mentioned in your thread too with no luck. I had forgotten about this thread though when I ended up doing the factory reset myself. And I keep my phone log and text messages pretty clean - so I doubt it comes from that.
As far as the email theory: The email isn't stored on the phone - it simply polls the email servers and shows what is there. So it's not like Outlook where you can store the messages on your computer and build up huge pst files. So unless the glitch is somewhere in the polling system, I doubt that is it either.

I'd like to keep this thread active and see what we can come up with. I only got this problem sometime around my first post in the thread. I just can't remember what I did before it to get the problem.