Possible PE5x memory problem solution......

Discussion in 'Project Elite' started by buckmarble, Mar 16, 2011.

1. buckmarble

buckmarble Developer Theme Developer Developer

First off, all credit goes to peteralfonso on the bugless forum. I came across this and decided to give it a try on PE5. What it does is makes the autokill less aggressive. So far I have had good luck with it. Maybe some of you could give it a try and see if you have some possitive results with missed texts and such. The app is free in the market.

1) Install "AutoKiller Memory Optimizer" from Market.
    2) Open AutoKiller > Menu > Settings > Enable advanced mode
    3) Set the following values:
    Foreground app: 6
    Visible app: 10
    Secondary server: 20
    Hidden app: 24
    Content provider: 28
    Empty app: 28
    4) Apply new values
    5) Reboot device
  2. jim1974

jim1974 New Member

I'm always up for trying something new. I'm giving it a shot with the values you have listed.
  3. A.C.Sanchez

A.C.Sanchez New Member

Alternately - give Swapper2 a shot. It's made a HUGE difference in performance for me. I would get FCs every time I tried to listen to music with other tasks open, now I'm back to being just fine.

Give it a shot, it's a difference maker.
  4. rabbitfoot

rabbitfoot Member

thanks, guys!

have those values on autokiller and swapper2 affected your battery life in either direction?

best,
    rf
  5. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid New Member

6. buckmarble

I tried your settings as well. I did notice however, with peters settings, I could bounce between apps without them resetting. For example, the browser would reset and go back to homepage after answering a text and likewise with going from browser back to mms app, I would be back to the list of people I have conversations with rather than the last person I texted.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  7. gunit34328

gunit34328 New Member

seems to be working pretty well. i'm using the OP's method and GLD's method. seem to be working fine. thanks!
  8. buckmarble

If you are doing both, which ever one you did last is the setting you are using because the both change the same values, just two different ways of doing it. A bit easier using a gui though. Able to change quicker to play with different settings.

9. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid New Member

I'm getting ready to try the values buckmarble put in the OP, to see if I can see a difference, but I'm going to do it using Gscript (i.e., terminal command) rather than using a separate app. Actngrezy, awesome guy that he is, calculated those values for me. So if you want to use terminal or Gscript rather than a separate app to try the values from the OP out, the command is:

su
    echo "1536,2560,5120,6144,7168,7168" > /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree

Once I determine which one is better, I'll put the command in init.d so it survives reboot, following actngrezy's instructions here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/pr...elite-v5-gingerbread-aosp-26.html#post1376206.

It would be great if folks tried both sets of values and reported back on what seems to work best.
  10. actngrezy

actngrezy New Member Developer

If u don't want to download and install another app u can enter the command below into terminal and it will changes the values to the ones equal to the op. To go back to orginal just reboot the phone.if u don't like these values then I suggest using the ones gld has posted in the link she provided in the above post. Before releasing we didn't realize how aggressive gb task killing was andwe are working to try and fix this for the next release.if not completley fixed the task killing will be better then the first release. Below is the command
    su
    echo "1536,2560,5120,6144,7168,7168" > /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree

EDIT: sorry I must have been writing this as gld was lol
  11. buckmarble

Just to update on my trials. I found glds still a little too aggressive and the one from my OP worked fine but system bogged down a bit after opening quite a few apps. So I tried some values right in the middle of the two. These are what I'm using at the moment.

2048, 2560, 5120, 6656, 7680, 7680
    8, 10, 20, 26, 30, 30 for those using app in OP
  12. AZDroid09

AZDroid09 New Member

Thanks, trying this out, was just getting ready to go back to 4.2 but I will try this for a couple days to see if it makes a difference on my Droid.
  13. ZooMob

ZooMob New Member

I tried this for a day and it seems to work good but then my phone was really slow and laggy this morning and had force closes for some programs, i restarted and it seemed good again.

Not sure but probably going back to PE4.2 especially since it has the Honeycomb theme now
  14. danceswithbongs

danceswithbongs New Member

The lag quite possibly is due to either needing to restart compcache which allows it to dump that cached mem which then reopens all that mem space.
    Also a general cache clean as well as clearing the dalvik cache, will do wonders regarding getting rid of the lag.
    Same thing will occur on 4.2 if you don't remember to clean these once in a while, even a hot reboot which takes less than 20 seconds will clear some out for you.
    See if those will help in avoiding any lags.
    Hope that will help.
  15. buckmarble

I can't seem to get these values to stick and survive reboot. Which files have to be changed in order for it this to stick?

16. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid New Member

17. buckmarble

Thanks. I was looking in wrong init file.
  18. Paleogirl2003

Paleogirl2003 New Member

Definitely going to try this, I didn't start having the missed texts thing until yesterday, now I don't get any picture messages :( was ready to go back to 4.2, but I will definitely try this first!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  19. actngrezy

actngrezy New Member Developer

We have found in testing if u have handcemt or a third party mms app that it will cause this issue. If u. Uninstall you should get pic messages again. Do you have a third party messaging app installed?
  20. buckmarble

In the past 24hrs, I've had the best results with the second set of values I posted. I put them in the init.d to survive reboot. So far I've received all calls/texts, no random reboots, no slow downs and no fc's. With my OP values, I got a couple random reboots and system would slow down and lag. GLDs values works fine, but I still had apps being killed too quickly. Has anyone else tried my second set of values?
Search tags for this page

droid x2 would sqleditor and root explorer interfere with ea

root, link2sd, swapper2 laked problem