Possible malware?

dburd48778

Reaction score
I received a myspace friend request notification earlier on my phone, checked out the profile, saw it was a newly created account and obviously fake. So I hit the back button on the phone to go back and decline the friend request and I got a phone dialog box saying something about malicious code but it was horribly worded so I figured it was fake and I hit "cancel" instead of "okay" or whatever the affirmative answer on the left was. Now occasionally when I go to my phones home internet page instead of going to "www.google.com" like it always did before now I sometimes get sent to http://m.yp.com/search... That website wanted to know my location which I clicked "decline" for but it didn't look like the usual android menu pop up style. So I thought I'd come here and ask if anyone else has had anything similar happen? I tried scanning my phone with my pc's av it only took like 1 sec and said that it didn't find anything but since it was so fast I'm not sure it worked at all.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't know that getting sent to that site is a result of the myspace notification; but the site you mention is itself legit. It's the mobile version of yellowpages.com - and it uses location info to show nearby results.

OP
D

dburd48778

Reaction score

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
It sounds like one of those browser redirects that would have resulted in one of those fake malware scans and subsequent infections had you been on a PC. Since those don't exist for Android, i'd say you are safe. The redirect to yellowpages was probably a part of the whole thing, but is harmless.

OP
D

dburd48778

Reaction score
I hope they don't. I'm kinda surprised it was susceptible to the misdirect.