Possible fix for "sound issue"?

grunt0300

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6
Just got off of the chat line with Moto rep. His answer to the sound problem was the dreaded factory reset, plus do not select "auto restore". According to him, this will erase all the security updates, since the phone was first made. I have my doubts. Has anyone in these forums tried this? He also said that i would be able to refuse any of the updates, as they started to come in, after the phone booted up.:confused:o_O:rolleyes:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I don't believe it personally. If that was the case then why didn't the Moto forum manager put that on their forum when he said a software fix was being worked on?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Also a FDR does not erase software updates and security patches, you would still have the same version numbers after the FDR. His advice would work great if an App was causing the problem. Since the forum manager said it's software and will require a software fix, I would not believe a Tier 1 / Tier 2 phone support rep that a FDR will fix it.

Last edited:
OP
grunt0300

grunt0300

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Also a FDR does not erase software updates and security patches, you would still have the same version numbers after the FDR. His advice would work great if an App was causing the problem. Since the forum manager Sid it's software and will require a software fix, I would not believe a Tier 1 / Tier 2 phone support rep that a FDR will fix it.

Good points. I'll wait, but i'm not sure how much longer. That galaxy 8 sounds pretty good.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Good points. I'll wait, but i'm not sure how much longer. That galaxy 8 sounds pretty good.

Just curious, are all of your notification sounds too low? if so, do you use the shorter, built in sounds? Since owning this phone the only time i notice this issue is on calls. The first ring is silent, then each subsequent ring gets louder. But all sounds for texts, e-mails, forum messages are very loud each and every time. My wife has asked to turn down the volume several times for notifications from this forum (Tapatalk). I use the shorter built-in system tones. Not sure if that makes a difference?

OP
grunt0300

grunt0300

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Just curious, are all of your notification sounds too low? if so, do you use the shorter, built in sounds? Since owning this phone the only time i notice this issue is on calls. The first ring is silent, then each subsequent ring gets louder. But all sounds for texts, e-mails, forum messages are very loud each and every time. My wife has asked to turn down the volume several times for notifications from this forum (Tapatalk). I use the shorter built-in system tones. Not sure if that makes a difference?

They are all low. Incoming calls will ring 6 times before going to voicemail. I only hear the last 3 rings. I'm using Verizon's msg app, and MyMail for email. I've tried different sounds of various lengths, and i still get no sound.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
That's strange. It must have something to do with when that one security patch was installed vs newer phones that already had it applied, like mine. All I had to update was the OS from Android M to N. And my only issue is with call sounds. Strange behavior. Hope the fix comes sooner rather than later.

OP
grunt0300

grunt0300

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
That's strange. It must have something to do with when that one security patch was installed vs newer phones that already had it applied, like mine. All I had to update was the OS from Android M to N. And my only issue is with call sounds. Strange behavior. Hope the fix comes sooner rather than later.

That fix should have happened already. I'm not waiting too much longer.

OP
grunt0300

grunt0300

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Got an email from Moto. I can return the phone, and get a replacement, for $24.99. How do i know that the replacement phone won't have the same problem? More than that, why should i pay Moto any money, when the problem was there's, not mine?:rolleyes:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Got an email from Moto. I can return the phone, and get a replacement, for $24.99. How do i know that the replacement phone won't have the same problem? More than that, why should i pay Moto any money, when the problem was there's, not mine?:rolleyes:
Based on my experience with them the $24.99 fee is for an Advanced Replacement. Where they ship you a new phone first with a pre paid envelope to return the defective phone in. Since they are sending you a new phone first without receiving your defective phone they charge and advance fee for that service. That's normally the only time they charge that. If you offer to send your defective phone to them first and wait for the replacement there should be no fee.

There is no guarantee the new phone will not be affected as well. I bought mine in November and I do have an issue with low call sounds on the first ring, (edit: first alarm tone also). But all other notification sounds are loud right from the start.

OP
grunt0300

grunt0300

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Based on my experience with them the $24.99 fee is for an Advanced Replacement. Where they ship you a new phone first with a pre paid envelope to return the defective phone in. Since they are sending you a new phone first without receiving your defective phone they charge and advance fee for that service. That's normally the only time they charge that. If you offer to send your defective phone to them first and wait for the replacement there should be no fee.

There is no guarantee the new phone will not be affected as well. I bought mine in November and I do have an issue with low call sounds on the first ring, (edit: first alarm tone also). But all other notification sounds are loud right from the start.

OK, i'm going to send them the phone. I'll take out the sim card, and put it in my N6P so i'll still have a phone. I guess i'd better back it up, and then wipe it before i send it.:p

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
OK, i'm going to send them the phone. I'll take out the sim card, and put it in my N6P so i'll still have a phone. I guess i'd better back it up, and then wipe it before i send it.:p
I would double check with them that there is no fee for sending your current phone in first. Just to be safe. Good luck with whatever happens, hope you end up with a better functioning phone.