Possible Fix for falling back to 1x and not holding a 4g/3g connection

lettuce chief

Reaction score
ok well this is my topic on verizons site. problems with phone moving back to 1x a lot of the time - Verizon Wireless Community

well my problem was dropping back to 1x and not being able to hold a solid 4g/3g connection.

well it was suggested to go into the Wireless Settings/Mobile Network menu and uncheck the Data Roaming box and change the Select System from Automatic to Home Only. After you do that, turn the phone off and back on.

i did that today and i got substantially better coverage. i held onto my 4G and i didnt go into 1x until i got into the VZw "deadzones". it was out in the woods on my dirtbike so i expected that.

anyway, switch yours and then try it out for a day! i hope today wasnt just my lucky day on the network lol... hopefully this is a fix.

TommyLive

Reaction score
I'd like to try your solution but I can't even establish a data connection. Wifi is fine, data is ng! Moblie Network keeps flashing between "Connect to Internet" and "Use phone for data connection when wifi is unavailable." I just got the Thunderbolt yesterday so I have absolutely no history with it. But, if it's not me, please tell me what to do!

drew

Reaction score
I'd like to try your solution but I can't even establish a data connection. Wifi is fine, data is ng! Moblie Network keeps flashing between "Connect to Internet" and "Use phone for data connection when wifi is unavailable." I just got the Thunderbolt yesterday so I have absolutely no history with it. But, if it's not me, please tell me what to do!

I had a similar problem too. When I was @ home, my WiFi worked great. Went to a dog park, and couldn't get ANY data connection. I could make calles, send / receive text messages, but couldn't connect to any internet apps.

With that said - I had to do two things right after I got my phone:

1) Pull the battery to fix the SMS issue of sending my SIM card number
2) Rebooted the phone to solve the data issue.

Hope this helps.

DroidStang

Reaction score
throwing my 2 cents in...go to settings, wireless & networks, uncheck wifi, uncheck internet connection mode, make sure mobile network checked, pull battery one min. see how does.

TommyLive

Reaction score
Tried that DroidStang, thanks but didn't work. Drew, when you say "rebooted the phone" did you mean you rebooted after you pulled the battery?

TommyLive

Reaction score
...now Mobile Network says, "Connection Failed" although check box is checked. Unckecked then rechecked now it says it's good but still no internet without wifi.

DroidStang

Reaction score
you don't have home only checked do you? and just throwing this out there, airplane mode not checked?...can you tell I do tech support ?

hdeez

Reaction score

I had a similar problem too. When I was @ home, my WiFi worked great. Went to a dog park, and couldn't get ANY data connection. I could make calles, send / receive text messages, but couldn't connect to any internet apps.

With that said - I had to do two things right after I got my phone:

1) Pull the battery to fix the SMS issue of sending my SIM card number
2) Rebooted the phone to solve the data issue.

Hope this helps.

I had both issues as well and pulling the battery solved both of them.

DroidStang

Reaction score
as when I troubleshoot our blackberries at work, leave it on when pulling battery, turning off pulling battery does nothing at least on a BB

TommyLive

Reaction score
No good... Going back to the original post my phone never shows 1x 3G 4G anyway.

DroidStang

Reaction score
then you just need to go back to store where you bought unless there is just something no one here is seeing or you just have no network sorry not able to help. I am new to this and mine worked right out box.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I myself have been wondering what Automatic and Home Only means? But I don't have the issue that the OP has. So I probably shouldn't play around with it too much :p.

TommyLive

Reaction score
Yeah, going back to the store with a not-so-pleased look on my face. Thanks guys!