1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Possible DIFFERENT kind of redraw issue solution...

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by Phreaker47, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

I had noticed lately that more redraws were creeping back in for me on SS 4.6. On 4.5 I had reduced the LP redraws to very reasonable levels. So why had they come back? I installed 4.6 over the top and basically hadn't changed anything... in fact, I had actually uninstalled more things than I added.

Then something occurred to me... now, keep reading, this is NOT what you'd expect at first. On 4.5 I had tried the trick of using MinFreeManager and trying the "aggressive" settings. It hadn't improved my situation. So I then told MinFreeManager to set everything back to "default" presets, and apply at boot. Things eventually got faster again although I didn't attribute it at the time to that particular action.

So on 4.6 with more redraws, I thought, what if that default setting actually changed and iimproved things? If the default ROM settings are different, then repeating that step might change something. So last night, I opened MinFreeManger, applied default settings at boot, then rebooted.

And wouldn't you know it... immediately, less redraws! More speed! :icon_ banana:
    When I took my Droid off my desk dock this morning, the home screen even came up right away THEN... and usually, that particular action ALWAYS causes a redraw.

Anyone with SS 4.6 and launcherpro experiencing too many redraws still... give this a try... help me see if I'm not just smoking crack or something.

Oh and for the record... I use Widgetlocker with the home helper enabled, but I no longer use quickdesk or anything else that gets in the way. 3 screens, only a few widgets, 2D app drawer... and yet I was still getting those pesky redraws before doing this.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  2. fbm111

fbm111 New Member

I have this same problem but your solution did not work for me. I think the reboot helps temporarily but then comes back after bit. Anyone else with a solution?
  3. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

I don't know.. but reboots in the past haven't helped me because I considered that right away.
  4. ecfiffer

ecfiffer New Member

i too kinda have the redraw issue, and i know a reboot fixes it so to me its a mem usage problem rather then software/hardware. but currently i am trying the minfree default settings deal and will report back later.
  5. jbrock98

jbrock98 New Member

the redraw issues in 4.6 were so bad for me i couldn't stick with chevy which is sad b/c i usually spend 2 to 3 days on a rom b4 switching and he was still in my rotation but since i've flashed Ultimate Droid 6.0.0 i've had virtually no redraws the best since 2.1 even with 5 screens and few widgets(this was with stock launcher also which on Ultimate Droid has 4 dock positions) then i tried adw & LP and the redraws started back so i went back to the UD launcher and no redraws
  6. ecfiffer

ecfiffer New Member

j- that sucks. maybe on 4.7 it will run better for you. so far mine is working a little snappier but then again it just rebooted while listening to pandora and posting on FB
  7. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

Well I have to say that I did drop Task Panel and tried Minfreemanager, clicking the default and apply at boot, then rebooted. After 24 hours of normal use, I have noticed a marked difference for the better.

What I don't understand, is what the app is supposed to be doing for me. What do the different setting affect and so on.

But it helped.
  8. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

It sets default memory allocations that can be made temporarily or at boot (permanent.. hence root access required). Initially the advice was to try the "aggressive" mode. But you'll notice this attempts to keep a lot of memory (96MB) free all the time, which can have other consequences. I don't pretend to understand how or why one type of setting might be better over another to keep the home screen from redrawing and/or to keep the phone running faster in general...

But now that I'm thinking about it, I'm going to try "mild" for a while (just applying now but not permanently at boot) to see how it goes for a day.
  9. anderson620

anderson620 New Member

I had a terrible redraw issues 01 s s 4.6 But what is fixed it 4 me Was checking the "keep launcher in memory" box in LP preferences. Not a single redraw since.
  10. fbm111

fbm111 New Member

Where can I find "lp preferences "?
  11. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Also ... someone else just mentioned that they had an app or widget that was installed to SD ... moved it back to phone and the lag went away!
  12. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

It's a strange thing though... sometimes you think you solved the issue, then it creeps back in, even without making any real changes. I have very few things installed to SD (I have only used the native ability to move a few things, not app2sd.)