Possible Data Loss "Fix" (Or maybe work around?)

OP
S

Scribble

Reaction score
I used to never have any problems a couple weeks before verizon put up 4g in my area. One month of solid connection before 4g. At home on the edge of 4g I have it set to cdma only. Every other night I will lose data sometimes for an hour or two. Once it was out all night. Rebooting, airplane mode, turning data off several times would not help. In every case there is a Droid 3 and samsung fascinate sitting next to me with full 3g signal. Still happening even though I went to the 893 ota. I'm waiting until the official update and if I still have problems I will raise hell. The .893 ota did help a little in other situations but it is not much better.

Yeah this is why I think the Data on Roaming thing is working fo me at least... I live in the woods. :p Seriously, in a state forest, and we just barely get 3g coverage here. I noticed I would loose the data whenever I would go from somewhere more civilized back home.

I know for a fact the only local towers aren't owned by Verizon so, I think it has a hard time knowing that when it drops off of 4g, and the only thing available is a 3rd party tower, that it's ok for it to come back online in 3g mode. I think maybe it keeps trying to find a Verizon owned 4g tower or something and that's why we loose all data. It just doesn't know it needs to switch because it's waiting for a stronger Verizon 3g signal to tell it to do so.

Whatever the case, the data on roaming thing doesn't seem like a permanent solution. They need to put something in place.

mikespe

Reaction score
I had called Verizon a few weeks ago when everyone was having data outages (shortly after the iPhone 4s was released. The tech told me to check this option as well. I too was worried about roaming charges & had her mark my account that she told me to check data roaming...just in case I got a HUGE bill. Bit so far things have been working great...even while using Juice Defender. I did the 5.7.893 update and haven't tried unchecking the data roaming yet to see if the update fixed the data issue. But right now I am very happy with how the phone is working!