Possible Data Loss "Fix" (Or maybe work around?)

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by Scribble, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Scribble

Scribble New Member

So the other day while skimming through my settings I saw the one labeled Data Roaming was unchecked.

Verizon has contracts with other towers so you don't get charged anything extra for using data while on another network, so I checked it- Haven't had a data drop off since. (Now watch as soon as I post this I'll have one. :))

From what I understand the sole exception is if you live like on the border with Canada or Mexico and grab onto one of their towers. You WILL get hit with a fee then, so if you live there this might not be a good option. :(

Still seems like it's an issue whatever it is, but... If you can give it a try and see if it helps or if I'm just getting lucky lately.
  2. scdown

scdown New Member

It hasn't affected my dropouts (at least the 4G to 3G ones, which I wouldn't expect, because no other operator is doing LTE on the same band as Verizon)
  3. Scribble

Scribble New Member

So it's been since Friday, and no dropouts for me so far...
  4. sunshineferris

sunshineferris New Member

The same has worked for me for the last four days (fingers crossed!).

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  5. Howling

Howling New Member

What area in the settings did you find the data roaming?
  6. 318Droid

318Droid New Member

Battery/data manager, data delivery go check it. Mine has been like this for a week now and hasnt dropped signal yet. Looked back at my OG settings and it is also checked on there. Never had a signal issue with thay phone.
  7. Scribble

Scribble New Member

Glad to hear it seems to be working for others. :)
  8. Fumbles93

Fumbles93 New Member

Wait so checking that option doesn't require any fees? Only if u live near a border to another country?
    And so far it's worked for people?
    Sorry for the obvious questions - i just wanna make sure before i try it..
    Also, when u enable it, do u have to restart your phone?

9. mdb533

mdb533 New Member

Mine has been checked since owning phone. Experienced problem 1 or 2 times. Ever since 4G had blip a wk ir so ago phone has been worse. Did notice battery saver was checked, so I unchecked saver and checked performance. Hopefully this will help. Any thoughts?

10. Scribble

Scribble New Member

From what I've read this is the case.

Seems to be so far for a few of us, but there are others who say it hasn't. Obviously this is not a good enough test to determine one way or the other, but I say it's worth a shot. :)

Understandable- no apologies needed.

I didn't.
  11. Fumbles93

Fumbles93 New Member

Oo ok thanks for helping!

12. gsbjackson

gsbjackson New Member

:icon_ banana: This has been working for me for the last 24 hours w/o a single lost data connection. Far better option than the forced OTA to 5.5.893 that I tried last night that almost Bricked my phone due to incorrect mount permissions on mount_ext3.sh after editing.
  13. wseyller

wseyller Member

I used to never have any problems a couple weeks before verizon put up 4g in my area. One month of solid connection before 4g. At home on the edge of 4g I have it set to cdma only. Every other night I will lose data sometimes for an hour or two. Once it was out all night. Rebooting, airplane mode, turning data off several times would not help. In every case there is a Droid 3 and samsung fascinate sitting next to me with full 3g signal. Still happening even though I went to the 893 ota. I'm waiting until the official update and if I still have problems I will raise hell. The .893 ota did help a little in other situations but it is not much better.
  14. Scribble

Scribble New Member

Been about 2 weeks now with no data drop outs.
  15. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Fingers crossed, thanks for the tip guys :big smile:

...I'll keep you posted on my results

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  16. Scribble

Scribble New Member

Yeah this is why I think the Data on Roaming thing is working fo me at least... I live in the woods. :p Seriously, in a state forest, and we just barely get 3g coverage here. I noticed I would loose the data whenever I would go from somewhere more civilized back home.

I know for a fact the only local towers aren't owned by Verizon so, I think it has a hard time knowing that when it drops off of 4g, and the only thing available is a 3rd party tower, that it's ok for it to come back online in 3g mode. I think maybe it keeps trying to find a Verizon owned 4g tower or something and that's why we loose all data. It just doesn't know it needs to switch because it's waiting for a stronger Verizon 3g signal to tell it to do so.

Whatever the case, the data on roaming thing doesn't seem like a permanent solution. They need to put something in place.
  17. mikespe

mikespe New Member

I had called Verizon a few weeks ago when everyone was having data outages (shortly after the iPhone 4s was released. The tech told me to check this option as well. I too was worried about roaming charges & had her mark my account that she told me to check data roaming...just in case I got a HUGE bill. Bit so far things have been working great...even while using Juice Defender. I did the 5.7.893 update and haven't tried unchecking the data roaming yet to see if the update fixed the data issue. But right now I am very happy with how the phone is working!