1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Possible bug?

Discussion in 'Project Elite' started by Timberwolf, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Timberwolf

Timberwolf New Member

I am currently running Liquid Frozen Yogurt 1.95. I decided to mix it up and try PEv4. I liked it a lot right away ran real smooth and everything, but the market would force close every time, so i reverted back to LFY. Has anyone else had this issue or is there a fix I missed somewhere?
  2. mxnut

mxnut New Member

I too came over from LFY and my market is working. I followed the install directions from GLD and everything has been smooth.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  3. Timberwolf

Timberwolf New Member

Okay I suppose ill give it another go and try and work it out. Quick question though. I went to install the second zip. I forget what its called. But after that install I got the little android guy on my screen that was telling me to click him to start, the screen you get when you do a factory reset. When I clicked on him nothing would happen so I had to bypass it.
  4. mxnut

mxnut New Member

Just FYI, I made a backup of my LFY with TiBu and followed the instructions I referenced in the previous post. I prefer Clockwork for my Rom installs.

I think maybe you should reinstall the Rom itself. "Andy" that you refer to as the android guy, is how you sync up your contacts, etc. with your gmail account. Make sure you follow the instructions GLD provided as I know they work. ;)
  5. Timberwolf

Timberwolf New Member

Okay I guess ill have to look over that link more carefully here. I know what the initial setup does I just found it odd it didn't prompt me on the initial rom install, only after I installed the extras update.zip I like SPR for all my roms. But anyways thanks for your help. Ill hopefully be working on it soon. Ill report back after.
  6. Timberwolf

Timberwolf New Member

Just one quick question before I move on here. They explain how to use clockwork and TiBu and Clockwork. I know how to correctly use SPR. The reason I don't flip to clockwork is because I remember reading, before I rooted, to get as much knowledge as possible so I didn't mess it up, that it was recommended that you use SPR, because at the time it was significantly more stable. I see a lot more people using clockwork so I don't know how true SPR being more stable is. But is there anything in clockwork that it appeals to peopleor any specific advantage of using it over SPR?
  7. mxnut

mxnut New Member

That is odd. I am still on the stock Rom. Hope you get it worked out soon.

Just saw your post. I just find it simpler to use.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  8. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid New Member

There's some good stuff in this thread about the advantages of ClockworkMod recovery: SPRecovery vs. Clockwork ***Poll Added*** - Android Forums.
  9. Timberwolf

Timberwolf New Member

Okay. As I read I understand it all. But per say I do not want to buy a TiBu license. Is the premium required? or am I able to flash without it?
  10. EbE404

EbE404 New Member

Just to toss in my two cents-

Several months ago, after trying both, SPR was vastly more stable for me, and CWR actually caused me a bit of pain, so I loyally stuck with SPR for quite a while. About 3 months ago, I decided to give ROM Manager and CWR another spin to see if it had improved (Koush is great about regular updates and fixes).

Since then, I've flashed dozens of ROMs and really put CWR through its paces and haven't had any problems, so in my experience, it's been fine and very stable.

Both are perfectly valid recoveries, but CWR gives the added convenience of slightly easier use via ROM Manager.

As far as the license for TiBu, you don't absolutely need one, but it's recommended, i t will save you a lot of clicking when running the batch restore and it would be nice to support the Dev for the great work he's done. When I bought mine, I was a little twitchy about having to purchase the license via PayPal, but I received the license quickly and the Dev is a great guy.
  11. Nuance

Nuance New Member

When following GLD's restore method (the best method available, by the way), be sure you're not restoring Liquid Frozen Yogurt settings. Look through ALL your settings and apps in Titanium Backup and de-select anything that was associated with LFY. And, as always, wipe and clear cache.
  12. Timberwolf

Timberwolf New Member

I have run into a few problems with CW and Rom Manager today getting ready to switch roms. I was curious about TiBu because it looks like it does close to the same thing CW does. Yet again I'm just starting out and new to both CW and Tibu. Wiping and clearing is always a must before switching roms for me (found that out through tons of trial and error!). I didn't realize the work put into it to get this rom working 100 percent! It better be worth it! :)
  13. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid New Member

It's not just THIS ROM -- I use the same methodology no matter what ROM I'm testing/installing. To me, it's always worth it. TiBu backup and the nandroid backup you do with ClockworkMod recovery (or SPRecovery, for that matter) are very different. The nandroid backup is absolutely essential, because it backs up your boot image, system, apps stored to SD and all your data (essentially, your entire setup). Having a nandroid to turn to when a ROM/kernel or theme install goes bad is essential. There are situations that TiBu simply cannot get you out of. However, TiBu is a wonderful method for restoring all your user apps and all the data after you do a factory reset (also known as wiping data and cache).
  14. EbE404

EbE404 New Member

They are related, but completely different animals.

TiBu is an application that can backup and restore apps, app settings and system settings, and it can do this in a nuanced and selective basis.

ROM Manager and CWR are two different, but intertwined applications. ROM Manager is essentially the GUI to navigate and download ROMS, then it will use CWR to actually flash a ROM or make a nandroid backup.

The confusion some people have is the difference between the backup/restore functions that are performed by a recovery program like SPR or CWR, vs. the backup/restore functions carried out by TiBu.

The recovery programs create a backup called a nandroid, and this is essentially a snapshot of your entire system-apps, settings, kernel, etc. This is a global snapshot, and a backup/restore function using recovery and a nandroid is an all or nothing prospect.

Now, TiBu, on the other hand offers the ability to select how, what and when you want to back up, but this only applies to apps and system settings. This does not store things like kernels, framework or other system components that are part of a ROM.

The reason most of us use both, is because they do different things. When flashing a new ROM, using TiBu to restore apps has a lot of benefits vs. letting the market reload you apps because:

1. It's much faster
    2. You get your app settings and data back (particularly important for Angry Birds addicts ;) )
    3. System settings, like WiFi passwords, are also restored

TiBu is a huge time saver, and convenience item, and well worth a couple of bucks for the full version, although the free version is also perfectly functional. It can also be useful if a bad app update is pushed out and you want to go back to a previous version.

Now, nandroids are the more critical backup, because these are "the nuclear option" that you can use to restore EVERYTHING on your phone to a known working state, at least as it was when you made the backup.

Finally, there is no such thing as backing up too much or too often, IMHO. Always, always, always make a nandroid backup using CWR or SPR before you do anything major to your phone, like flashing a ROM, kernel or theme.

Hope that helps clear up the differences.

Can you elaborate on the issues you were having with ROM Manager and CWR?
  15. Timberwolf

Timberwolf New Member

Yeah I know what the nandroid backup is and do one before every modification. Ive always just used SPR. Advanced Nandroid Backup. Wipe clear wipe clear. Install update.zip
  16. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid New Member

I'll add one other BIG reason I use TiBu rather than letting the Market auto-restore -- "Force to same location." Assuming that option is checked in TiBu preferences, my apps all restore to the same location (SD card or internal, as applicable) as I had them when I did the TiBu backup. Market restore does them probably 90% or more internal, and I have so many apps that I get low storage errors and all kinds of FCs and things because I don't have any memory resources left. And if that's not bad enough, then I have to move the apps, one-by-one, to SD. So it's always TiBu restore for me!
  17. Timberwolf

Timberwolf New Member

The issue I was having with CW and ROM Manager was that it erased my recovery. What I did was. Downlaod Install Rom Manager + Premium. I had SPR. So I went to install the new CW through ROM Manager and it a few seconds into it. I would get a non responsive message. So I hit wait and then a few more seconds a message would pop up saying it was complete. Something didnt seem right so I went to boot into recovery and I would get stuck at the M boot logo. Same thing happened when I went to revert back to SPR.
  18. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid New Member

This is a pretty common Froyo bug with flashing recoveries. Try flashing SPR/then ClockworkMod recovery again. If CW flashes fast, it probably flashed corrrectly. Also, I've found that CW version 2.0.2.4 works much more reliably than the latest version 2.5.0.1. You can find that at the botton of the menu list, under All ClockworkMod Recoveries.
  19. Timberwolf

Timberwolf New Member

Alright. Ill give it a shot. Thanks for the fast reply. :)
  20. Timberwolf

Timberwolf New Member

Just to let everyone that helped me know, all worked out good. Except I'm still getting use to TiBu.