1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Possible Brick...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by madspeed, Apr 8, 2010.

1. madspeed

madspeed New Member

I have some previous posting regarding my problems, but overview, I was rooted using BB v7.4 on the 2.01 update. Tried to update to the newer ROM's, when i messed something up. Now I only get the M logo, can occasionally get it to go into SPRecovery, though none of the data seems to be good, as I can't get it to boot on any of these nandroid files. I can get the boot loader, but battery is currently too low and I have it charging, so I get the message "battery low, cannot program". Assuming I can get into SPRecovery sometime when the bat charges, what should I do?

I was planning on going back to stock to set a baseline using [How to] Back to stock (2.0.1) the easy way from http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/15766-how-back-stock-2-0-1-easy-way.html#post143581. This uses nandroid and SPRecovery. I was then going to go back and root and upgrade to the newer ROMS.

Now obviously I messed something up on my phone. What files should I have on my sdcard? Should I have an update.zip file on there? Or is this "pre" update? I do have the .99.3 recovery on there currently. Will this wipe out all the extra "stuff" that was put on there during previous "rooting" and changing ROM's??
  2. MNTNBKR

MNTNBKR New Member

Well, the good news is, you're phone is NOT bricked...or even close to it. When you get into SPRecovery, you can do a Nandroid restore to get back to stock (provided you made a backup before you started modding. Otherwise, you can follow the procedure in that link with the downloaded rar file. Either way, you don't really need to worry about what files are on the SD card. Everything that the phone needs to boot is (or will be) located in the internal memory.

Another option is to use RSDLite and the appropriate SBF file to flash back to stock.
  3. madspeed

madspeed New Member

Got to let the phone sit and charge for a while. I don't have a wall charger with me. Charging vis USB is alot slower for sure!! Once I get it charged up a bit, if I use the .rar as listed above, I extract it to a folder, then just put the folder into the nandroid folder on the sd card correct?
  4. MNTNBKR

MNTNBKR New Member

I believe that's the correct process, but I've never used the .rar method before, so I can't say for sure.
  5. madspeed

madspeed New Member

Thanks for your help here! Let her charge a bit longer and we'll see!!
  6. toddegreene

toddegreene New Member

If your battery is that low, you should get it on a wall charger and leave it that way overnight. Always have a full charge when working with the phone. Updates use the juice.
  7. madspeed

madspeed New Member

Yeah, I'ma thinkin thats what happened!!
  8. gavron

gavron New Member

Here's what I've done many times...
    1. Connect your phone via USB. Boot into SPR (hold down X while powering up)
    2. Select the filesystem options and then MOUNT sdcard
    3. On your PC you should see it show up or prompt you. (I use Ubuntu linux and I have it prompt me)
    4. On your PC go the sdcard... then to the "nandroid" folder/directory. Then create a NEW folder/directory
    5. In that folder/directory unrar or unzip the nandroid backup
    6. ON YOUR PC unmount the sdcard
    7. ON YOUR PHONE select to unmount the sdcard
    8. ON YOUR PHONE go to backup/restore and restore the backup

You never need to boot it past the recovery console. I made it look like a lot of steps just to go through it without missing anything but really it's three easy steps:
    1. Mount sdcard
    2. Unpack nandroid backup into a subdirectory /sdcard/nandroid
    3. Restore backup :)

Good luck. If you do this, your phone can be USB powered while you do it. It won't charge MUCH but enough to get it going again :)

E
  9. madspeed

madspeed New Member

Just to be sure, the folder for the backup should belocated at /sdcard/nandroid/**** (where **** indicated the folder that the files are located in)
  10. gavron

gavron New Member

Correct. Let's say you decide to name it "MYGOODBACKUP" it would be /sdcard/nandroid/MYGOODBACKUP

Inside this folder you'd see file like
    system.tar
    data.tar
    boot.img
    nandroid.md5

Some of those may not be there but if system.tar is there you can recover your SYSTEM: partition. If data.tar is there you can recover your DATA: partition.

/sdcard/nandroid/YOURBACKUPNAMEHERE/system.tar... means that SPRecovery when selecting "YOURBACKUPNAMEHERE" for advanced nandroid recovery can recover it.

I hope that has more detail than you wanted ;) We want all the phones to be back online asap! :)

Ehud
    Tucson AZ
  11. madspeed

madspeed New Member

sweet, now just gotta charge the batttery back up first. Dang USB charging in only getting me to the M logo cycling. Can't turn it off or anything, but once it does this for a few minutes, there's enough juice to get into SPRecovery.

Thanks for the help, hope it's hot there in Tuscon cause it is here in PA!!
  12. gavron

gavron New Member

79F and rising -- it's a cool day today :)

Good luck!

E
  13. beneharris

beneharris New Member

doesnt sprecovery have an option for factory reset? wouldn't that work?