Possible battery life extension test

cpjr

Reaction score
Currently unplugged for 8 hours....

Moderate usages, several phone calls, txts, playing around and mobile hotspot for about 20 minutes.

Im running rooted, Perfect Storm 1.2 ROM, Drod's 1.8 Kernel - overclocked to 1.5ghz w/ profiles, brightness still set to auto, 4G on...etc, etc.....

Im at 73% right now :)

Reaction score
Currently unplugged for 8 hours....

Moderate usages, several phone calls, txts, playing around and mobile hotspot for about 20 minutes.

Im running rooted, Perfect Storm 1.2 ROM, Drod's 1.8 Kernel - overclocked to 1.5ghz w/ profiles, brightness still set to auto, 4G on...etc, etc.....

Im at 73% right now :)

Just a question, and please don't take this the wrong way as I mean no ill-will, but why overclock this phone? I understand the ROMs, but what does a Kernel do? How did you overclock the phone? Finally, can you in contrast underclock it and see what the battery does?

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Just a question, and please don't take this the wrong way as I mean no ill-will, but why overclock this phone? I understand the ROMs, but what does a Kernel do? How did you overclock the phone? Finally, can you in contrast underclock it and see what the battery does?

I've run 1Ghz kernels, 1.2Ghz kernels, and 1.4Ghz kernels. Why overclock? Everything is smoother, if you can believe it. When I got this phone, unrooted, for the first time, I thought it was the smoothest fastest phone out there. Now that I've rooted, yeah it can get even smoother and faster.

Also, the quicker the CPU can get something done, the less CPU time an app has to use so it can actually net a savings in battery life.

Good question about underclocking - I've compared the battery life with a 1.2Ghz kernel and a 1.0Ghz kernel. I'm getting about the same battery life. With the 1.4Ghz kernel there was an obvious 1-3 hours off my total battery life and the phone ran much hotter (the kernel was an overvolt too not undervolt).

The biggest difference is running a kernel that undervolts. Getting INSANE battery life with those.

Reaction score
I've run 1Ghz kernels, 1.2Ghz kernels, and 1.4Ghz kernels. Why overclock? Everything is smoother, if you can believe it. When I got this phone, unrooted, for the first time, I thought it was the smoothest fastest phone out there. Now that I've rooted, yeah it can get even smoother and faster.

Also, the quicker the CPU can get something done, the less CPU time an app has to use so it can actually net a savings in battery life.

The logic seems sound...

Good question about underclocking - I've compared the battery life with a 1.2Ghz kernel and a 1.0Ghz kernel. I'm getting about the same battery life. With the 1.4Ghz kernel there was an obvious 1-3 hours off my total battery life and the phone ran much hotter (the kernel was an overvolt too not undervolt).

The biggest difference is running a kernel that undervolts. Getting INSANE battery life with those.

So is over/under volting the phone with kernels basically like a "perminant" SetCPU in that you can't change the settings on the fly? Do you happen to have any good undervolting kernel threads, downloads or suggestions? (I am willing to sacarfice some performance for insane battery life.)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Good info! I'm running the drod 1.8GHz kernel and actually am getting much better battery life. I also have a screen off profile in SetCPU.

This thread has been Thunder struck!!

Reaction score
SetCPU Profiles: 768/768 ondemand, screen off 245/245, charging 1024/768, Battery <15% 245/245

Rooted (Y/N): Of course

Rom/kernel: "stock" with most bloat removals (Blockbuster, Golf, BitBop, etc. removed)

Screen Brightness setting: 33%

3G/4G area: 3G at work, 3G/WiFi at home

Time off charger: 3:30pm EST 4/6/11 (only 20 minutes so far)

Noticeable improvement yes/no: "Battery Left" app is claiming my battery will currently last for ~17 hours. I will be on 3G only from 3:30pm to about 5pm, then WiFi & 3G at home. I will let this run through the night until I go to bed and update with my estimated time left.

Tomorrow I will be creating a new "Battery Left" Profile to see if there is a big difference between being on WiFi vs 3G only. What I like about the Battery Left program (paid) is that I can create a ton of profiles and it doesn't do any battery conditioning or app killing, it just gives a lot of detail on what is using the battery power and lots of detailed usage reports.

So, my first day using SetCPU is almost halfway done and here are the stats so far:

Off charger for 4 hours, no phone calls, tons of emails, 3G-only connection (no 4G, BT, GPS or WiFi) Lots of emails received and responded to, minimal time on vibrate only.

Battery left says 72% estimated life left, which equates to 9:32 left. Total estimated uptime is 13:18, which is basically what my Droid X did with the extended battery in it.

Amazingly enough, last night with much lighter use and WiFi turned on, my Battery Left estimated total uptime of 118:30, or nearly 5 days! Seems to me like if you can use WiFi for data, it is much better than 4G or even 3G on your battery life.

I'm not sure if I should load a custom ROM or not and/or undervolt the kernel... I may need some convincing.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Using WiFi for data saves quite a bit of battery life.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

BennyJr

Reaction score
Have u guys done the battery calibration? Im getting good life right now but im not getting what u guys are lol getting like a lil over 12hrs rooted running das bamf and the kernel update.

DroidStang

Reaction score
Full charge at 6 AM..been on and using all day..Stock , not rooted, but have the extended battery I'm at 80% left...the Battery Left widget has some sort of auto calibrate I think?

Reaction score
Well, my standard kernel w/SetCPU didn't seem to have much of an improvement--12.5 hours at work on my 3G and only used it for one phone call.

I just loaded the 1st kernel by utkanos (XDA Link). Will create a new Battery Left profile and see how much the undervolting improves my battery life. Results to follow.

Reaction score
So far with the first of Adrynalyne's Kernel changes, Battery left is estimating 16.5 hours on 3G-only connection at work. Not much (if any) improvement compared to using SetCPU with stock kernel.

BennyJr

Reaction score
Yeah mine is lookin like that too. I'm running the newest das bamf and kernel. And I even bump charged it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk