Possible battery life extension test

OP
P

perfoliate

Reaction score
The tweaks you are doing sound very interesting. Is there a good way to log the battery drain to get more detailed results?

I was running some tests on my own and finding the 'what is using my battery' counts that the software calculates seem to be very far off. The breakdown that the phone reports seem to be very display heavy.

Is there a good way for you to log the results of your tests other then just seeing how long the phone lasts to dead?

I've heard about an app called "System Panel" that may be a help in finding out what program's may cause unneeded drain. I read the Blockbuster app was giving some people excessive battery drain. I'm running a debloated rom, so I no longer have that app installed. Thinking there is something else. I may look into this further.

OP
P

perfoliate

Reaction score
I'd be happy to test this out. Just rooted my phone this evening. I'll post the stats below. I'm about to go to bed so I'll leave it off charge overnight and see what happens.

Perfblock disabled. 80% charge

Screen off - 245 mhz min and max
Normal settings - 368 min, 768 max
Charge - 768 min - 1024 max

I'm not sure if SetCPU is running correctly, been about 5 months since I configured it. We will see, but it doesn't seem to be setting the freq's correctly.

Edit: Got SetCPU to set freq's after 3 reboots and playing with settings. Also deleting a huge block of almost 6000 texts from the phone so that will be running as well. Hopefully the phone survives the night lol. 76% battery life as of right now.

I'd love to see your results. I only lost about 6% battery overnight off charger with those screen off settings.

DroidStang

Reaction score
I lost 12% from 1130 to 730, biggest culpret...cell standby 23% screen display 2nd.. checked internet 3 times, checked mail twice now at 82%....acting normal..you think?

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I lost 12% from 1130 to 730, biggest culpret...cell standby 23% screen display 2nd.. checked internet 3 times, checked mail twice now at 82%....acting normal..you think?

I'm assuming you mean 11pm to 7am. In that case it makes sense of you weren't really using your phone. Sounds normal to me, a 12% decrease in 8hrs sounds good to me. And even if you meant 7am to 11am 12% in 4hrs is still good lol

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

DroidStang

Reaction score
no.....went bed at 11 last night...looked at phone 730am.....right now after no charging, checked mail, play 10 holes of lets play golf 2, it is at 71%

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
no.....went bed at 11 last night...looked at phone 730am.....right now after no charging, checked mail, play 10 holes of lets play golf 2, it is at 71%

Oh lol didn realize it was only 8am lmao. Your battery life sounds good though usually I find this battery depletes at %10 and hour with moderate use. So after 8hrs of standby, email, and golfing %30 depletion seems really good.

Canefan

Reaction score
Here's my question for you. On my D1, when I underclocked like that at idle, there would sometimes be problems with incoming calls. The phone would not be fast enough to do the lookup in the contact list and no caller id information would appear. Are you seeing these issues at all with the TB or does it wake up faster and ramp up clock speed quick enough to avoid problems with incoming calls?

Edit: Also are these battery times in 4G areas with 4G left on all the time?

Last edited:

Mikedd_87

Reaction score
I'd be happy to test this out. Just rooted my phone this evening. I'll post the stats below. I'm about to go to bed so I'll leave it off charge overnight and see what happens.

I'm not sure if SetCPU is running correctly, been about 5 months since I configured it. We will see, but it doesn't seem to be setting the freq's correctly.

Edit: Got SetCPU to set freq's after 3 reboots and playing with settings. Also deleting a huge block of almost 6000 texts from the phone so that will be running as well. Hopefully the phone survives the night lol. 76% battery life as of right now.
Well, woke up about 15 mins ago my phone had just started displaying that it was hungry and wanted to eat up some of my electric... I believe it was at 15%

I think Handcent was the culprit overnight with the batch job that I had given it to complete. But, even with handcent running that job, My battery lost 60% in 6.25 hours. That used to be normal for me or more in that amount of time so I can tell that underclocking with the screen off is helping.

I'll try again tonight before bed with a full charge (I can't afford for my phone to die at work) see what happens.

By the way...Are you guys running any Custom ROMs on your TB's? All I did was root mine and remove some of the bloatware that was running in the background.

I'll post more results up this evening of my usage today and battery drainage.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here's my question for you. On my D1, when I underclocked like that at idle, there would sometimes be problems with incoming calls. The phone would not be fast enough to do the lookup in the contact list and no caller id information would appear. Are you seeing these issues at all with the TB or does it wake up faster and ramp up clock speed quick enough to avoid problems with incoming calls?

Edit: Also are these clock speeds in 4G areas with 4G left on all the time?

I know what you mean, I hated that about the Droid. Surprised to say that I haven't run into that problem yet. I was able to receive calls perfectly fine on standby with the lowest clockspeeds.

@Mike
I'm running stock with a bunch of apps frozen in titanium backup. I'm pretty happy with stock but would consider a rom if the performance boost is great enough.

OP
P

perfoliate

Reaction score

Edit: Also are these battery times in 4G areas with 4G left on all the time?

I haven't run into any of these issues. I'm currently spending most of my time in a 3g area only with occasional trips into the 4g zone.

OP
P

perfoliate

Reaction score

Well, woke up about 15 mins ago my phone had just started displaying that it was hungry and wanted to eat up some of my electric... I believe it was at 15%

I think Handcent was the culprit overnight with the batch job that I had given it to complete. But, even with handcent running that job, My battery lost 60% in 6.25 hours. That used to be normal for me or more in that amount of time so I can tell that underclocking with the screen off is helping.

I'll try again tonight before bed with a full charge (I can't afford for my phone to die at work) see what happens.

By the way...Are you guys running any Custom ROMs on your TB's? All I did was root mine and remove some of the bloatware that was running in the background.

I'll post more results up this evening of my usage today and battery drainage.

I've been running adrynalyne's Basic debloat rom, with the newer kernel from march 1.

OP
P

perfoliate

Reaction score
Went on another hike this morning so I haven't used my phone at all really. But it's been off charger for 4 hours without dropping below 100%. Actually it just dropped to 98% after taking this drocap image, lol and emailing it. But anyway this tweak isn't gong to affect battery life during actual usage, but it sure seems to improve standby time immensely.View attachment 30136

Mikedd_87

Reaction score
Charge status is at 99% right now on a "Bump" Charge. Going to make sure this is at capacity before I begin my testing on the battery. Looking at putting VirusROM on here, looks pretty slick.

swamp

Reaction score
Very encouraging results. I have pretty bad drain overnight when powered off if I am not plugged in and charging.

Why oh why can't HTC get this stuff done at the OEM level? It is not rocket science.

One more good reason to root!

DroidStang

Reaction score
right now I am at 19 hrs. w/o charge...2 20min. calls..2 emails with pics sent, camera used, updated 30 contacts, some golf, using live thunderbolt wallpaper, checking mail, it goes in standby, at 34% now, screen set low low...71% usage

Last edited: