Possibility?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by microsnook, Mar 10, 2010.

1. microsnook

microsnook New Member

On the 2.1 launcher or whatever, it has the phone and browser buttons build right in.

But we already have the browser button right next to the "home" button (the magnifying glass)

So I was wondering, if instead of that being a browser, it could be made into sms. (preferably handcent)?

Let me know if it can be done!
  2. ShowTime

ShowTime New Member

I believe you can change the shortcut buttons at the bottom to whatever you want. I'm not exactly sure how since I've never used the 2.1 launcher, but I'm nearly positive you can. Also, the magnifying glass doesn't exactly launch the browser, at least not in it's normal form. It just launches the phone's search function, which will give you Google results along with phone results and such.
  3. microsnook

microsnook New Member

Yes, agreed it isnt exactly the browser... It would just be more convenient for me if it was sms.
    I ran adamz rom which had the 2.1 launcher, but I didn't really try rerouting the browser button to sms. I don't know how to do that.

Anyone know or can point me in the right direction?
    I do not have 2.1 launcher running right now. If the hack is possible then I want to get 2.1 launcher with sms hack!
  4. microsnook

microsnook New Member

Yes, agreed it isnt exactly the browser... It would just be more convenient for me if it was sms.
    I ran adamz rom which had the 2.1 launcher, but I didn't really try rerouting the browser button to sms. I don't know how to do that.

Anyone know or can point me in the right direction?
    I do not have 2.1 launcher running right now. If the hack is possible then I want to get 2.1 launcher with sms hack!
  5. joshnichols189

joshnichols189 New Member

I don't believe you can change those buttons on AdamZ's..

This is probably more work than you want to do but it is an option and I'm running it very nicely right now..

You can install this rom
    [ROM] First REAL Eclair ROM. CyanogenMod. v1.0.2 3/6/2010

It's really fast, based off ESE53 I believe, 2.1, etc. and then apply this theme
    [Release] NexTheme - Droid Port - Koush/Cyanogen Mod 1.0.2 - Update.zip

and it gives you four different slots on the bottom by the launcher that can be made to access ANY app you want, be it phone, sms, etc.

Again, probably more work than you want to do for this particular fix, but it's a great rom and an awesome theme, plus the four customizable shortcuts at the end are awesome =]
  6. microsnook

microsnook New Member

I can set it to handcent?
    I'll take a look at it tmrw!
  7. joshnichols189

joshnichols189 New Member

Yes, you can set it to anything you can drag onto the homescreen =]