Porting a theme

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by xxlostsurferx16, Jul 6, 2010.

1. xxlostsurferx16

xxlostsurferx16 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,
    I know basic ADB/Terminal commands and I'm looking into porting themes from one ROM to another. I tried creating my own theme but that failed and I had Fc's up the *ss. Is porting themes basically moving the .png files from the framework-res.apk into the new one for the ROM? If someone could either answer here or pm me I would appreciate it. Thanks,

surfer

2. INSANENEIVIESIS

INSANENEIVIESIS Active Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    yes essentially you would have to move pngs and xmls from the old framework(themed) to the new one (themed) you may need to also edit the services.jar depending on the theme to make clock and other notifications text white. and if you want the full theme you will need to do the system apps as well

3. xxlostsurferx16

xxlostsurferx16 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Alright thanks for such a quick reply. Yes I was having some trouble with some of the .png's and xmls when trying to make my own theme. But I'll give porting one a shot later on. I wanted to make sure that with porting a theme I didn't have to mess with anything else besides images. Thanks man.

4. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would say don't give up. Theres a lot to learn but it's all here. Yes, at first you will get a lot of issues but you can learn the basics in time: Like 9-patch PNG images can be edited but then have to be patched and compiled, and XMLs are reverse hex for editing colors, you have to re-sign market apk files to use them, and stuff like that...

I would say keep trying. It's fun making your own themes. Plus if you port other peoples designs just make sure they are cool with that before you post them online. Have fun! If you need any help PM me man...

5. INSANENEIVIESIS

INSANENEIVIESIS Active Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    no problem and make sure if your going to be releasing this port for others to use. ask the original developer if you can use his work first.

6. xxlostsurferx16

xxlostsurferx16 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you both of you. I have used both your themes and I respect both of you guys and thanks a lot for all the help. I'll tell you that's what makes the android community better than any other. Thanks a lot guys I appreciate it.