Portable battery chargers Don't work?

RedTarget

Reaction score
I won't deny that it is a little larger than others, but that comes with the capacity I chose. However for 7000mah it really isn't too large.

View attachment 44665
The New Trent is slightly thicker than the razr at its thickest point.

View attachment 44666

There are smaller models, but this let's me go away for a weekend without any concerns of finding an outlet. Chargers my razr and my touchpad.

OP
Z

zadam123

Reaction score
man this nightmare aint over. i am going away tommorrow and need a portable charger, I just bought the verizon igo charger and this thing dont wrok , it shows charging but you can watch the battery go down while its pluged in, going back to try to exc hange it for there other charger. fingers crossed:mad:

robert70

Reaction score
Ok it sounds to me that you ha e a charging port issue, that many differsnt chargers can't all be bad or not work, I would have the techs at the store check the port itself.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

OP
Z

zadam123

Reaction score
the charger that verizon sold me dont work . if you go to there website read the reviews all say the same thing it shows charging but dont. I went to target today and saw a energizer xp4001 and gave it a try and low and behold it works:icon_ banana:.

mark7step

Reaction score
I got the mycharge 3000 three days ago and it's pretty useless. Seems to drain the phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

SallyC

Reaction score
Here's an update on my Anker - I was surprised when it wasn't charging when the screen went off because I'd not had that problem before. I wrote Anker and they wrote back right away and were surprised too. Asked me if it did it on other devices or just the Razr. I tested it on a Kindle DX and an iPod Touch and found it did it with them too. There was a bit of communication delay because of Christmas, but they have been very prompt and helpful in their replies. They said it must be defective and gave me a postage paid USPS Priority mailer to send it back! I wish it wasn't defective, but they are standing behind it and being very helpful.

I use this one and it works great for what I need. It is not the biggest but heck its really small and fits in my pocket and will charge my phone up almost all the way from being dead. I think it is great knowing I dont have to find a outlet immediately and having this for a backup.

Yes, that's the way I feel. You're not going to get every last drop of juice out of a portable charger (nor should you try to, just like with any Lithium Ion) so I wanted a little "head room" plus the ability to get multiple charges in the event of heavy use or extended lack of an electrical outlet.

How many full charges do you get on your Razr?

It's going to depend on how low you let your phone get. The phone is 1780 mAh and the charger is 5600 mAh so I guess the potential is a little over 3 complete charges, but I don't run my phone down that low and I wouldn't want to drain my Li Ion charger to 0 either.

Nyobie

Reaction score
I'm using a ZAGG Sparq 2.0 and it works quite well for at least 2 full charges of my 3500 mAh extended battery. I bought it about a month ago for $50.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

Deron

Reaction score
Just got the energizer xp4001. It works with my regular Razr charging cord. I will post more once I can test it out. I will also be getting a New Trent charger as well. Here is the energizer one next to an iPod classic to get a comparison.

44cc1144-9270-5d48.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

buscms

Reaction score
This might be a lot to ask.....but I'm looking for one that could actually go on a keychain. Any out there? And a second question.....do you have to carry the charging wire around with you also? That seems inconvenient and annoying. They should have one with a build in micro USB charger that pops out or something. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Deron

Reaction score
And a second question.....do you have to carry the charging wire around with you also? That seems inconvenient and annoying. They should have one with a build in micro USB charger that pops out or something. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

The Energizer xp4001 had its own proprietary charger that plugs into a wall outlet. So you are limited on how you can charge the unit.

I think the New Trent ones can be charged with your Razr's own stock charger. But don't quote me on that. I will be getting my New Trent battery in the mail in a few days.

SallyC

Reaction score
I have the New Trent IPM 70D 7000mAh. It charges using a micro USB I believe although I think their site says mini. But it comes with adapters for both, along with a short, coiled USB cord. Just plug into your wall adapter to charge it.

Bigger than something for your key chain though :) 4.4 x 3.4 x0. 6. I think I'd want more charge power than would fit on something keychain size.

It's working great. I've used it on my Razr and Kindle DX. It will also charge an IPad 2, but I don't have one.

Deron

Reaction score
Hold up on buying the Energizer xp4001, anybody, because it appears to be a bit of a dud. I will do further testing and may need to exchange it for another xp4001. It only recharged my Razr one and a half times. :(

Deron

Reaction score
Fully recharged my Energizer XP4001 overnight so there was no doubt it was fully charged. And I got the exact same result. It can charge the Razr from 4 to 100% for the first charge and then can only charge up 45 percentage points on the second charge. One and a half charges.

Let me try the New Trent IMP99D. It is a 9900 mAh battery. I am wondering if I will see an analogous result.

Now that I think about it, I should not expect the Energizer to squeeze out every last bit of energy into the Razr. The transfer of power probably follows some energy gradient in a passive manner. Similar to electrolytes passing across a semi-permiable membrane. The Energizer can only charge the Razr so much since the energy gradient diminishes as the Razr is charged. Once the two devices reach an equilibrium of energy, no more can flow from Energizer to Razr. I notice that when the Razr is on its second charge,it will slow down and eventually stall half way. The Razr still reports it is being charged, although the battery percent remains the same. Equilibrium has been reached at this point.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
This might be a lot to ask.....but I'm looking for one that could actually go on a keychain. Any out there? And a second question.....do you have to carry the charging wire around with you also? That seems inconvenient and annoying. They should have one with a build in micro USB charger that pops out or something. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

The Anker 5600 is small. Dont know if it fits on a keychain, I read that somewhere but seeing clips of it....it would probably be a lil too big for that....lol. But it is smaller than most with that much juice. Do a search on Amazon.com. There are some others small like the Anker, some smaller, but with less battery.

[video=youtube;a5FZNuqL3WI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5FZNuqL3WI[/video]

All I know is after seeing how small this is....no more extended or spare batteries for me. No need to worry about form factor or weight changing on my phone. And you can turn these external chargers off n on. That should make the external battery last even longer.

Last edited:

Deron

Reaction score
Several posters in different forums have reported that the Anker battery doesn't work properly with the Razr. This is why I skipped it and ordered something else.