pop3 email question - leaving mail on server

pengoons

Reaction score
Just got my TBolt and got exchange set up; problem is I can't find a way to set it so as to leave email on the server after deletion from the phone. I'm probably missing something simple but I'm stumped. Help?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
In your mail program. Hit Menu > More > Settings > Send and Receive > Look at the bottom. Uncheck Delete mail on server.

OP
P

pengoons

Reaction score
thanks but on the screen you mentioned, the last option shown is 'always bcc me' - no toggle or anything regarding leaving mail on the server.

MadScientist

Reaction score
thanks but on the screen you mentioned, the last option shown is 'always bcc me' - no toggle or anything regarding leaving mail on the server.

I have the opposite problem. It doesn't delete and I also don't have that check box.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
This is what mine looks like.

ForeverInOur

Reaction score
mines doesnt have a delete off server option either. wonder if its a settings on the exchange activesync-

edit. oops that was just for exchange

Last edited:
OP
P

pengoons

Reaction score
odd...under 'send settings' i just have two options:

reply with original text, and
always bcc me

the middle option shown on your screenshot isn't there.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
That's what it looks like for my hotmail and my personal domain server. I wonder why you don't have that.

ForeverInOur

Reaction score
i use k9 mail for hotmail and such. it has the options in there. maybe try that app?

TheOldFart

Reaction score
odd...under 'send settings' i just have two options:

reply with original text, and
always bcc me

the middle option shown on your screenshot isn't there.

What phone do you have? I know that there are differences between menus on different phones. For instance, my wife's Ally has no option to manually set the time and time zone, while I have it on my Droid.

Edit: Oops. This is the TB forum and you said you have the TB. Too early in the morning.

Last edited:
OP
P

pengoons

Reaction score
i was using touchdown on my old droid but was hoping to be able to use the thunderbolt's mail/calendar apps without the need for a third party workaround but maybe i need to go back to that program.

or maybe give up and get an iphone...i'm setting up a new ipad this morning also, and the tbolt isn't benefiting from the direct comparison in terms of intuitive features... :)

nateccnn

Reaction score
Your thread title says POP3 and your message body says Exchange. Pick one or the other.

In Exchange Mode there won't be an option asking you to leave mail or delete mail from the server because that is not how Exchange Mode works.

In Exchange Mode all your devices sync to the server through the "Cloud". The server is the central database or repository of data related to emails, calendar and contacts. Exchange mode uses Active Sync instead of a POP3/SMTP relay. Active Sync stoped using the SMTP virtual server all together in 2007. It uses it's own send connector.

The idea is that when your desktop poles the serrver it finds the exact same database that your phone sees when it poles the server. No more need to sync the phone to the desktop via USB cables. If you delete a mail on the desktop then the next time the phone syncs to the server it will find a database that does not have that deleted mail and it will show on the phone that the mail was deleted also. It works both ways. If you have "PUSH" set on the phone and the desktop it all happens in real time because the server does not wait for the phone to send a sync request...it just sends all changes in real time. Of course, that will cost in terms of battery consumption.

If you leave your desktop set to POP3 / SMTP and use your phone in Exchange mode you will run into frustrations where you don't see mail that you know you got. Reason is that the POP3/SMTP settings on the desktop may be set to delete mail once it is deleivered. If you do that then it wipes the database where mail is stored and then the phone syncs and sees an empty database so it deletes everything off the phone too. The desktop stores that mail in the PST file but the phone doesn't since it is in exchange mode.

In Exchange Mode there is also a setting on the destop Outlook client that allows you to CACHE mode the desktop. This will place a cached copy of the exchange server's mail store on the desktop so that you can read and reply to emials, see calendar items and use your contacts even when you don't have a connection to the server...ie...you're internet is down or you are on the road and don't have access to an internet connection. The new emails you create will sit on the desktop (laptop presumably) until the next time you connect it to the internet and it connects to the exchange server. At that time it will compare the databases (stores) on the server and client(PC) and send any new mail it finds.

Hope this clears up what your trying to do. If you have a more specific question, ask away.

Nate

OP
P

pengoons

Reaction score
@nateconn - that makes sense, but in the touchdown application, there is a feature to leave messages on the server notwithstanding their deletion on the phone. from earlier responses to this post, it appears that other droid phones have this function also - is there any way to obtain it on the tbolt or will that require a third party workaround, such as touchdown? i'm leaning that direction in order to get a synced task list in any event, but want to make sure i understand the options. thanks.

MadScientist

Reaction score
My apologies. I set up the wrong type. I have since changed it and all is functional. Ty for the help.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

cellopoet

Reaction score
maybe it's gmail

I think this problem may be due to the type of email account you are using. I have three accounts on my phone and I have all the options on two of them, including "Delete mail on server", "always bcc me", and "sync deleted items from server". However, for some reason, on my gmail account I don't have these options listed. Is your email a gmail account? That may have something to do with it. Although, I have no clue as to why gmail would be different from other email accounts.

Update: I posted before I read nateccnn's post. I just checked and realized that the two email accounts that have all the options are set to POP and the gmail is set to IMAP, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Last edited: