POP3 email account works, then stops

lynxfish

Reaction score
I've seen similar threads on this, but no answers yet, so I thought I'd start a new one. I set up my POP3 account, correctly, on the Droid, and everything worked fine for a while, then it just stopped receiving email. When I go to Account Settings and check the incoming server settings, it just gets stuck. If I just pop the battery out and restart the Droid, it immediately starts getting email again, so it's clear that the security and port settings are fine. This looks a lot like a bug. Unless someone has another idea...?

Thanks all.

mcinvaille

Reaction score
I use the quick launch bar for managing apps on one page. From there I disable synch for Gmail. I doubt thats your issue but mail will not come in with it disabled.

Imemine

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my pop3 account. It will work if I delete it and set it up again but then it only works for a while. Seems it is worse since the update. Any ideas since you last posted?

M

scrming

Reaction score
I had the same issue... Some times it would work, some times it would just hang. I finally switched from the default e-mail app to the K-9 e-mail app. Works great! No more hangs!

oh no droid

Reaction score
So far, I have been able to remedy the e-mail application hanging up on checking mail by turning the phone off and back on again. It is a pain because there is no warning that it is not working until you look to see it "stuck perpetually checking. Going to Settings and trying to close the running e-mail application will not cure the problem as it does not actually close the application.

Good luck!

jbirdawg

Reaction score
I had the same issue... Some times it would work, some times it would just hang. I finally switched from the default e-mail app to the K-9 e-mail app. Works great! No more hangs!

I have the same email freeze problem from my pop3 account set up and removing the battery works. I can not reply to any of my email in the pop3 ATT account. I have to go over to gmail and type in the address and email folks back that way. It is frustrating. What is the "K-9 email app?"

reefsrt4

Reaction score
What is the "K-9 email app?"

An app that you can use in place of the native email app.

Where can I get it? Market? Or is it on the phone now and I just don't realize it?

It's in the market. search K-9 and it will show up. i am using the new beta release. What I like most about it is the native email app wasn't working with my company's exchange security settings. K-9 works and I can now sync my work email as well.

jbirdawg

Reaction score
An app that you can use in place of the native email app.

Where can I get it? Market? Or is it on the phone now and I just don't realize it?

It's in the market. search K-9 and it will show up. i am using the new beta release. What I like most about it is the native email app wasn't working with my company's exchange security settings. K-9 works and I can now sync my work email as well.

thanks. I will check it out. I have ATT/yahoo and I can't reply to anything. It is frustrating. I had a blackberry storm before rolling a kayak with it on my waist and it was great for messages, email and otherwise. the browser an navigation are so nice on this one I would like to keep it. I could hook up my blackberry to my mac and immediately sync contacts, etc with one click. Nothing close to that here. Can you sync your contacts?

macarunni

Reaction score

I agree K-9 Mail is very close to Blackberry push mail service..... but not quite yet. I also have issues with my Hotmail address on my Droid running through the default mail service on the Droid.

ConnieMarie526

Reaction score
This is my first smart phone and I'm having a lot of fun with it. But I do want the email to work. I have Comcast and it won't send.

jbjr

Reaction score
POP freezes, IMAP runs fine

I've been having the same issue with my POP account. I use two accounts, one IMAP, which works just fine, and one POP, which works for a few minutes or hours, then hangs in an "always checking" state. Usually a power reset solves it. I can't afford to be turning the phone on and off constantly to see if I have mail.

Unfortunately this is pretty common in my experience for Google-authored software. Buggy, no support, and laid back attitude about fixing things. That was fine for 'free' (ad-supported) products, but my Droid wasn't exactly free...

Imemine

Reaction score
k9 versus droid email program

I started using K9 and I don't have any problems with email anymore. But when I was using the program that came with the droid, I fund that if it stopped recieving email, I would to into one of the security settings under the email set up, change it, then change it back and it would start recieving email again. Then I tried K9. I love it. I can also put a signature line on all emails.

Sent from my Droid, better than the iPhone.