POP setting in Gmail

tj1772

Reaction score
What does enable or not the POP setting in gmail. I've tried enable and not and can't see the difference. I do forward my cox (pop) email to gmail and it seems to work fine either way. Also, does it matter as far as battery life.

Thanks

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What does enable or not the POP setting in gmail. I've tried enable and not and can't see the difference. I do forward my cox (pop) email to gmail and it seems to work fine either way. Also, does it matter as far as battery life.

Thanks

Here's a writeup I did for a battery saving thread:

[FONT=&quot]Emails: I don't know what email app you use, but try this. It saves battery power and in some cases emails arrive quicker. This scheme will have you using only the Gmail app on the phone for all email accounts whether they are pop3 accounts or Gmail. Go to the Google Gmail inbox on your computer and log into the Gmail account. On the top right of the screen is an option called Settings. In there is an option to have the Gmail program poll your regular, non-Gmail accounts (From the inbox; Settings/Accounts & Import/ Check mail using POP3). Provide the email address and the password. The Google Gmail program will then poll your other accounts on a frequency from 1-5 minutes and push the email immediately to your phone. The polling frequency is determined by each account's activity - more emails = faster polling. This saves battery power because on the android OS pop3 accounts are polled at a frequency of 1-30 minutes and that really eats battery. Because the phone goes and checks those accounts for mail whether there is mail there or not.[/FONT]

OP
T

tj1772

Reaction score
I'm using stock gmail app. What about the pop setting under Forwarding and POP/IMAP. Is this only forwarding my gmail. So this doesn't matter unless I forward my gmail.

Thanks again

Last edited: