Pop e-mail via Wi-Fi ?

Eric

Reaction score
Anyone else have trouble sending "POP" e-mail while using Wi-Fi? I keep getting error messages saying there is a settings problem. It works just fine through the mobile network, however.

rmartin00

Reaction score
me too

I can logon to my home WIFI but I have been unable to setup my Droid to receive email directly from my Internet Service Provider as one would with Outlook. The ISP uses a POP server for download and SMPT for uplaod. I keep getting the error message Authentication failed. Please verify your username/password.

I was able to set the ISP home page as the default on the Droid and use webmail through the browser to read and send email.

Any help would be appreciated.

OP
E

Eric

Reaction score
Anyone? Let me try this...has anyone successfully used POP/SMTP e-mail via WiFi?

rmartin00

Reaction score
Anyone? Let me try this...has anyone successfully used POP/SMTP e-mail via WiFi?
I finally got mine set up and I like it. It downloads a copy of the email message to the Droid but the message stays on the server. When I turn on my desktop at home all the messages are still available to download to Outlook.

I did a manual setup of my email account entering both POP and SMPT server names, email address, password and security settings. The Droid accepted all the account information but did not start downloading and sending email until I deleted the default gmail account. Then when I opened the email application it said the account had been deleted would I like to add another account. I answered yes and "wal lal" it brought up the account I had set up and everything is working great.

OP
E

Eric

Reaction score
rmartin - I also set up my accounts manually the first day I got the phone, and it has worked just fine....over 3G. My problem is when I connect to a WiFi network. Then I get these error messages. I don't understand why the configuration should be any different for 3G or WiFi. It's the same POP and SMTP servers, and accounts & passwords in either case. Are you saying yours is working over WiFi?

rmartin00

Reaction score
Yes I have WIFI in my home. The Droid email seems to work over the WIFI when connected and the 3G network is on standby.

When not connected to WIFI, email is delivered over the 3G network. I never know how the email is delivered unless I check the settings.

I could not receive email on the Droid from my local Internet Service Account until I deleted the Gmail account which had been set up by the Verizon Tech when the phone was purchased. I was able to connect to the WIFI and use the Droid Browser from the get-go but the email was not delivered directly to the Droid until the Gmail account was deleted.

I believe it has something to do with the SYNC for email delivered through the WIFI connection and the 3G connection. The messages go to the same inbox and are not duplicated.

OP
E

Eric

Reaction score
OK. So something is weird here. I was able to send and receive e-mail just fine over 3G with the gmail app intact. It's just over WiFi that I am having trouble. Your case is apparently different for some reason. It sounds like you are saying you couldn't receive e-mail at all (not on 3G or WiFi) until you deleted the gmail account.

rmartin00

Reaction score
Eric, Once I connected the phone to my WiFi network, I never took the phone out of range of the Wifi until after I got the email problem resolved.
I do not know if there was a period when I could have received email over 3G and not over WiFi.

When I first tried to setup the account I received error messages about username, password and servers. After I deleted the Gmail account, I am almost positive I used the same account information and was successful.

I have taken the Droid on several trips since the problem was resolved and I am sure it receives POP/SMPT email over 3G when I travel and WiFi when I am home. I can toggle the Droid between Wifi and what the phone calls Mobil Network. When I turn off the WiFi connection the mobile connection is active. When I turn the WiFi on the Mobile Connection is in stanby.

I haven't tried to setup a connection to any public WiFi networks. There could be a security issue. My home WiFi is secured using WPA personal encryption.

Hope you get the issue resolved. I am pleased with the way mine is working.

Last edited:
OP
E

Eric

Reaction score
rmartin - Thanks for the reply. My problem seems to have a different signature than yours. I sent my carrier an e-mail, and I'm actually on the phone with them right now. They're trying to trouble shoot the problem, and are getting someone from HTC to join the call, too. Hopefully they can help. They're checking something right now. Gotta go!

OP
E

Eric

Reaction score
Update:

The suspected problem was/is with the port used for outgoing (SMTP) e-mail. The default the phone uses is port 25. (I actually wondered about that, because that's the only setting I could see that might not be right.) The folks at HTC suggested that perhaps my internet service provider does not use that port, and suggested I contact them.

So I did that. Well well...the ISP says they also use port 25 for outgoing e-mail, so they claim the problem does not lie with them. They gave me an alternate port to try, but that didn't resolve the problem, either.

Called HTC again, and they stand by their assertion that there is nothing wrong with the phone. They say this because I can connect to the WiFi network with the browser, and receive incoming e-mail, and that I can send/receive e-mail over the 3G network.

Both HTC and my ISP questioned the router, but I contend that it is not the issue since I have no problems connecting to it from other devices. And I have also tried doing e-mail over other WiFi networks, but get the same symptoms...incoming e-mail is OK, but outgoing can't be sent. They both found that arguement compelling, but HTC seemed unwilling to totally rule it out. (At least the second person I spoke to wasn't.)

So I'm going to try calling my ISP back and ask if there is any other possible difference. If a laptop can connect through port 25, but the mobile device can't, is there some other possible setting or subtlety that may need to be corrected on their end.

Edit: It occurred to me I should try seeing if Gmail worked over WiFi, to help narrow down if it is the phone, router, or my ISP. Surprise surprise...a test Gmail sent from my phone through my home WiFi network, went just fine. So to me, that might also implicate a problem on my ISP's end.

Last edited:

Jolest

Reaction score
If the problem is only on outbound email, I'd try playing with the "security type" setting in the OUTGOING server settings for that email account. (While you're at it dbl-check the Smtp server field on the same dialog to be sure it matches what your provider says it should be.)

rmartin00

Reaction score
setting up POP/SMPT email on the Verizon eris Droid

Eric, I still contend it has something to do with the sync and Gmail. Gmail is the default account unless its changed. The Droid is syncronizing POP/SMPT email received from two sources WiFi and 3G. You double that when you add a gmail account. Try deleting the gmail account and then setup your POP/SMPT account. If you can get that working you can go back and add Gmail. It worked for me.

I also had to use the full email address as the username. not just "JohnD0e" but "[email protected]"

Last edited:
OP
E

Eric

Reaction score
Jolest - Thanks for the reply. I don't have any security set, which is what my ISP says to do. SMTP server field is correct. (If it wasn't, I couldn't send via 3G, either.)

rmartin - Gmail is not my default account. I have changed that to one of my other POP/SMTP accounts. I also use my full e-mail address for my user name on each account, so that isn't it, either. Thanks again.

Verizon tech has logged this as an official problem on the Eris phone now. The way I have it set up, it should work, but it doesn't. It seems to be just a problem with my ISP.

chrisjett

Reaction score
Update:

The suspected problem was/is with the port used for outgoing (SMTP) e-mail. The default the phone uses is port 25. (I actually wondered about that, because that's the only setting I could see that might not be right.) The folks at HTC suggested that perhaps my internet service provider does not use that port, and suggested I contact them.

So I did that. Well well...the ISP says they also use port 25 for outgoing e-mail, so they claim the problem does not lie with them. They gave me an alternate port to try, but that didn't resolve the problem, either.

Called HTC again, and they stand by their assertion that there is nothing wrong with the phone. They say this because I can connect to the WiFi network with the browser, and receive incoming e-mail, and that I can send/receive e-mail over the 3G network.

Both HTC and my ISP questioned the router, but I contend that it is not the issue since I have no problems connecting to it from other devices. And I have also tried doing e-mail over other WiFi networks, but get the same symptoms...incoming e-mail is OK, but outgoing can't be sent. They both found that arguement compelling, but HTC seemed unwilling to totally rule it out. (At least the second person I spoke to wasn't.)

So I'm going to try calling my ISP back and ask if there is any other possible difference. If a laptop can connect through port 25, but the mobile device can't, is there some other possible setting or subtlety that may need to be corrected on their end.

Edit: It occurred to me I should try seeing if Gmail worked over WiFi, to help narrow down if it is the phone, router, or my ISP. Surprise surprise...a test Gmail sent from my phone through my home WiFi network, went just fine. So to me, that might also implicate a problem on my ISP's end.
Eric,

I am new to this forum and only found out about it after being so totally frustrated by the Eris and setting up my email that I did a Google search and found y'all. I too am having problems with sending my email. No problem receiving email though. I am on a wireless network at home. My MacBookPro runs fine with my email as does my iPod Touch. Why I can't use the Eris is beyond me and highly frustrating.

Actually frustrating is belittling what I feel. I just wish Verizon had the iPhone and I would call it a day. That said, my other phone was crushed this past weekend and I wanted a phone that was similar to the iPhone since I did not want to leave Verizon. I love the look of the Eris and hate the navigation. I tried looking for assistance on HTC's website and found that even their website has little to be desired.

I hope to find out more about this phone and fall in love, but this email thing is driving me insane, especially since my iTouch, (a very similar device), sends and receives email just fine. If I find a solution, I will post it here. In the meantime, I will continue to look here to see if you found a solution.

chrisjett

Reaction score
Eric,

It looks like I got mine working. The solution? Just reading the settings off of my iTouch. For my email carrier (Optonline.net), I had to use the outgoing port of 587. Why don't you give that a try.

Now to figure out how to turn off the buzz/vibration that happens every time you press near anything.