Poor wifi reception?

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by mista22, Jul 9, 2011.

1. mista22

mista22 New Member

I just got my Droid Charge and noticed that the wifi reception in my house is terrible. It would get 1 bar, while my ipod 3rd gen would get almost full bars reception, from the same location.

The ipod also blew the Charge away in a speedtest, with the Charge getting about 4kbps download. It's so bad I have to resort to using 3G in my own house.

Any ideas?
  2. BeefJerky

BeefJerky New Member

It sounds like your Charge may be defective. I have no problems with Wi-Fi reception or speed.
  3. mista22

mista22 New Member

My wife got a charge the same time I did. I've run speedtest on both phones, from the same locations. The results are equally poor. The only time when it's good is if I'm right next to the router.

Do you think it's just how the phone is? I mean the chances of getting two defective phones is pretty low I would think.

I may get a wifi extender and see what that does.
  4. BeefJerky

BeefJerky New Member

It's possible it's just a weird compatibility issue between the phone and your particular model router. Even though there are "standards," sometimes a particular Wi-Fi card and Wi-Fi router/AP just don't work well together.

Also, if your router is an N model, there are sometimes settings that can help performance and compatibility with older non-N devices such as the Charge. I don't remember what they are, but a Google search can probably pull that information up.
  5. mista22

mista22 New Member

Hmph go figure. I had naively assumed that since the Charge was the latest greatest thing, that it had wireless N. :)

Wait I just checked... the Charge is wireless N....

But yeah maybe it is an incompatibility issue between the router model. I'll see what the wireless extender does.
  6. BeefJerky

BeefJerky New Member

You're right, I just assumed the phone was not wireless N. Here's a thought, can you try it on a friends router to see if it works better?
  7. Shurple

Shurple New Member

I have the same problems with mine. I even had it replaced and it's still the same problem. The wifi signal is either non existent or goes from full to one bar to full as if it's going nuts.

When I am at work there's a few wifi locations but the phone does not see them. I installed WIFI Analyzer and it sees all the wifi locations around.

SpeedTest shows horrible speeds on wifi, and almost NO connection on 3G.
  8. BeefJerky

BeefJerky New Member

That is a very weird issue you guys are having. I've checked a few times, and the Charge seems to detect and show the same networks that my laptop sees; and I consider the laptops Wi-Fi reception to be quite good. In addition, I've used it at work, where it has to switch AP's as I move around to different locations, and it handles that switching fine as well. I still have had no issues with speed on any of these networks.

At home I use a Netgear WNDR3700. At work, they use a variety of Cisco AP's.

Shurple: Are you sure the replacement isn't defective too? It happens.
  9. Shurple

Shurple New Member

No, unfortunately I'm not sure.... but after going through 3 iPhone4s because of phone issues (and well AT&T), I sold that for the Charge and to come back to Verizon. I really would rather not go through this again. :(:(
  10. TJF2011

TJF2011 New Member

I also have the same problems.. Right now my wifi has one bar.. My wifes incredible has 4 bars snd droid x also has 4 bars.. This happens everywhere i go.. The range on my wifi router is the best range i can buy without buying pricey extenders

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums
  11. Shurple

Shurple New Member

Yup. wifi at home is next to the couch but i swing from full to one bar when my bf iphone always shows full. Same everywhere i go

12. mista22

mista22 New Member

What router are you guys using? Mines a linksys wrt draft N router... not sure of the model, I'm at work right now.
  13. Shurple

Shurple New Member

Lynksys or however you spell it. I wouldn't know more about it. My bf bought it years ago

14. mista22

mista22 New Member

Solved it. Switch your router from mixed mode to wireless n. Now the phone is flying compared to what it used to be.
  15. Shurple

Shurple New Member

Cool Ty. Ill ask the bf to change it. As long as that doesn't affect our computed

16. Shurple

Shurple New Member

Computers

17. TJF2011

TJF2011 New Member

Ya.. That doesnt work for me.. Aldo im using a netgear type n600 router. . Has nothing to do with my internet..

18. iamdlux

iamdlux New Member

Just saw this thread and thought I would chime in. I too have been having problems with the Wifi, I had gotten use to the 4g/3g cutting off here and there, but once in a while my Wifi would cut off as well. From there I decided to use a speedtest to see what actual speeds I was getting on this phone. I didn't do a speedtest earlier because I assumed it would be the same as other phones i've tested or had. Also to note that even with the phone sitting next to the router, the Wifi signal bounces up and down from 3 bars to 2 bars. At about 8 feet from the router my signal bounces from 2 bars to 1 bar. Anyway I took screenshots to see the difference in speed i get from my desktop, a droid incredible and the charge.

To note, I'm using Verizon Fios as my home internet, which all these are connected to. Also tests were done right next to the router. These are not "best of" scores, I did the test numerous times on each and just grabbed a screen of each. Ill put the results list for the charge to show the discrepancy in ping as well, which the other devices didn't show.

Here's the desktop test:

[​IMG]

Here's the test for the Incredible

[​IMG]

Here's the charge (signal strength showing 2 bars next to router)

[​IMG]

Results list for charge

[​IMG]
  19. mista22

mista22 New Member

I don't see any attachments or pictures in your post.
  20. Sakofsky

Sakofsky New Member

WIFI reception

I have the same issue, although my WIFI reception is better in my office than in my house. It must be the type of router because proximity to the router doesn't seem to make much of a difference.
Search tags for this page
bad wifi signal on android

droid charge poor wifi

droid charge weak wifi

motorola xoom wifi weak signal
my wireless connection on xoom is weak
poor connectivity with verizon samsung wi-fi

poor reception motorola tablet

samsung charge weak wifi

samsung charge wifi reception

samsung droid charge poor wifi reception

why does my droid charge get poor signal