poor reception?

dannyg

Reaction score
do any of you have reception problems?i have had my eris and verizon for a month now at least a dozen dropped calls no service a few times and not able to call out while in a supermarket tonite,20 years with cell one at&t what ever you call it and never had these problems,is it my phone or verizon?

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It could be your phone, it could also be the area you live in. How long have you been with VZW? You have a 30 day test drive. It's recommended you do a PRL Update (preferred roaming list) every 30-60 days by doing *228 and hit Option 2. No carrier will ever guarantee service inside of a building. What part of the U.S. are you in? Have you called CS and did some troubleshooting steps?

goingup

Reaction score
My wife and I have had Verizon for years now...and have lived in the same house as well. We are on the edge of coverage from the nearest cell tower. I had a Motorola Z6TV and she a Moto Razr V3c I think. We both never lost one call here in our home ever. She now has the Eris and I the Droid. She loses calls in our home now. Not alot but at least twice a week. I have once. We have had them for a month and a half. So reception is not as good. But the other qualities of our phones have us happy still at that.

OP
D

dannyg

Reaction score
i live on the south shore of mass and do business in r.i. and mass some of the dropped calls have been on the highway where i know i had some service before in both states,pretty frustrating.

scajjr

Reaction score
I've read that the internal antenna in the Eris isn't as adept as some other phones. I know in my house (So. NH) where I got a great signal (4-5 bars)with my Samsung Gleam and my wife gets great reception with her Razr, I now get 1-2 bars with my Eris and sometimes on cloudy/stormy days have to go upstairs to get any signal. More dropped calls too.
Have done *228 a few times since I got the phone, doesn't help. It's the hardware in the Eris.

Sam

OP
D

dannyg

Reaction score
i do like the phone,so sam, i guess my options are just to live with it?

wyzzerdd

Reaction score
Does this happen all over or in one area? I've never had any problems with my Eris dropping calls even indoors.

goingup

Reaction score
In our situation only in our home and large buildings like supermarkets or price club more so with the Eris

wyzzerdd

Reaction score
I'd call up Verizon and ask them about the problem.

hlaalu

Reaction score
my two different phones both had ****ty reception and would drop calls in my house. when the eris does have a few bars, it sounds great and hasn't dropped me.

lowtech

Reaction score
I wrote on here not long after I got my Eris that it is not getting service where my Palm Treo had no problems... in my house, in various place in my area in Maryland. Dropped calls - many! Little or no signal, even where other people are getting good reception. I have had several phones from Verizon whille living here for 20+ years and this is the worst for reception.

I did call Verizon, and the tech said that it is the hardware - that some of the phones Verizon carries have stronger reception than others.

It is more than annoying. If the updates to come do not help (which I somehow doubt that they will...) I am going to have to consider another Android phone. I absoultely love the Eris otherwise, and that would be really sad, but I am paying for calls I cannot make or receive, and frustrating myself and also other people who are saying, "Can you hear me now??!!" :mad:

OP
D

dannyg

Reaction score
thanks ereryone sounds lke it is the phone,i'll give it more time and see what happens just getting sick of my buddy saying how he has no problems with his moto droid.

ronjr123

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my droid. Called customer service and they sent me another phone and all is fine now

cheesecake

Reaction score
My Eris has done better than most phones I've had. My ATT phone had no reception at all where I work, but people with Verizon had full bars! Anyways, the first Verizon phone I had an LG Eny Touch 3 which had full bars in the main building, I walk through the doors to my office, and I had no service, no matter where I put it, so I got rid of it and canceled my contract. My Eris gets 2 bars in my office if I am not touching it, which is perfectly fine with me since i only use it to text at work and if I want to make a call I walk less than 10 feet and have full service....

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is a data service problem happening right now. Your issues may be related to this data services issue. Verizon is working on it and hopes to have it cleared up in next 2-6 hours.