poor quality musical instr. apps

lennywc

Reaction score
Is their a weakness in the droid hardware that can be blamed for the lack of even halfway decent guitar or piano apps? All the apps I tried are laggy and lack polyphonic abilities. My touch has some really great little apps. Is the iphone musically superior to the droid? Can anyone shed a little light on this subject?

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Lol....

I didn't think they were THAT bad....have you tried the guitar apps like Guitar: Solo....and there's another one I for the life of me can't remember the name of, but it's icon is a little Android holding a guitar if that helps....but they aren't bad simulators IMO

OP
L

lennywc

Reaction score
I have tried them and can say , without a doubt , "the droid apps suck". The iphone/touch musical apps are incredible. I want Those apps or ones half as good on the droid, but I am beginning to think the droid is not capable of being polyphonic. My touch has at least 6 note polyphony. Those apps are poor toys compared to what has been written for the touch/iphone

John.Edwards

Reaction score
I have used the solo app, and the droid is definately capable of polyphony, at least six simultaneous notes, probably more. The usability might be lacking, but the limits on the sound quality have more to do with the speaker than the hardware.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ahhh man, you're just gonna have to give the Android Market some time to flourish.....it's been around for what, a couple years....while the Apple App Store has been around double or triple that....

They'll get better

baniels

Reaction score
On a similar note, none of the metronome apps keep time. They all rhythmically all over the place.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I agree with you that the apps aren't that great. I also agree with the comment that the market hasn't been around nearly as long as Apple's.

All of that said, I don't give much care to touchscreen emulators of musical instruments. No matter what they're capable of, to me, they'll always just be toys. No real strings or keys=not a guitar/piano.

So the apps suck...play a real piano or a real guitar. If you can't, learn how while you wait for better pretending tools from the market. If I'm somewhere and want to play guitar, I find a guitar. If I don't have my own, or if I'm not hanging out with someone who has one, chances are nobody around cares thattheres not one for me to play. Sure, a good music app would be fun to play with, but if I was somewhere and saw someone tried to serlously play an app like a guitar, I'd probably have to sock them in the face with the nearest blunt object.

Voiceband is simple autotune crap. Like the rappers that couldn't sing to keep from being shot use. That does not impress me.

That's just what we need is a bunch o people running around with their phones thinking they're harass like so many did because they were awesome at rockband and guitar hero when those first came out. Pushing buttons doesn't make you a musician. Callouses on your fingers, soar vocal chords, and hours of dedication do.

Insert soapbox emoticon here because I can't bring it up on my Droid and can't remember what to type to create it...

Thanks for you patience while I b**** and preach.

Last edited:

tarkus00

Reaction score
I don't think it's a matter of playing a real piano or guitar, I think it's just having some fun with a toy here, that's all. I went to Julliard when I was 9 years old, then in my teens shipped off to the Royal academy. I have been with some major bands, and continue to collaborate with some great people. "see my picture??" I see where you are coming from, I have played Progressive rock all my life, This is the hardest form of rock music, this is why it's so hard to find people to have a good jam.LOL this why I have so many frequent flier miles racked up. Hey brother, I know how you feel. you can show me your blisters, and I can show you a bad ulna nerve in my lead arm. It's the price we payed for R&R. Go on you tube and see how many hits that Bieber kid has, or Lady Ga Ga then you see how many a great band has, it's disgusting. As far as playing apps on a tablet though I have nothing against it. Matter of fact I use the I Pad on stage all the time. Now this is the kicker,, I hate Apple and everything it represents, yet the apps are fabulous. You can't find a Droid app that cannot even come close to the stuff I have on this piece of garbage. Motorola just announced a dual core machine that blows away the I pad today. Yet you will not be seeing Megga synth, Morph wiz, etc on this superior machine. Apple knows that most of the world is stupid, this has been their mantra since the start. You only get what ever they tell you is good, and people buy in to it. I like the good old fashioned PC tower where I choose each part. Later I can reach in and change out parts as things progress. I found I can build my own computer that is far superior to any Mac for much less money. I love technology, and this is why I guess I'm a prog. musician. We are the pioneers of the world. I wonder what Les Paul said about Jimmi Hendrix when he was playing with distortion, and feed back. Bob Moog was blown away when Kieth Emerson brought out the giant modular synth, thought it could never be done. I did something on the I pad and had one of their reps get in contact with me.. I told her "politely" I'm just sitting here waiting for the Android to evolve, thanks anyway. Blew her mind to pieces.. Just don't start a conversation on beatmaker and those loop machines, and the guys who call themselves artists, I will find you, I will come to your house, and talk your ear off...Good luck man, and see you on the road!!!

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Seriously, you people want to play a musical instrument on your phone now? This new "phone age" is getting out of hand.

baniels

Reaction score
Good story.

I don't think it's a matter of playing a real piano or guitar, I think it's just having some fun with a toy here, that's all. I went to Julliard when I was 9 years old, then in my teens shipped off to the Royal academy. I have been with some major bands, and continue to collaborate with some great people. "see my picture??" I see where you are coming from, I have played Progressive rock all my life, This is the hardest form of rock music, this is why it's so hard to find people to have a good jam.LOL this why I have so many frequent flier miles racked up. Hey brother, I know how you feel. you can show me your blisters, and I can show you a bad ulna nerve in my lead arm. It's the price we payed for R&R. Go on you tube and see how many hits that Bieber kid has, or Lady Ga Ga then you see how many a great band has, it's disgusting. As far as playing apps on a tablet though I have nothing against it. Matter of fact I use the I Pad on stage all the time. Now this is the kicker,, I hate Apple and everything it represents, yet the apps are fabulous. You can't find a Droid app that cannot even come close to the stuff I have on this piece of garbage. Motorola just announced a dual core machine that blows away the I pad today. Yet you will not be seeing Megga synth, Morph wiz, etc on this superior machine. Apple knows that most of the world is stupid, this has been their mantra since the start. You only get what ever they tell you is good, and people buy in to it. I like the good old fashioned PC tower where I choose each part. Later I can reach in and change out parts as things progress. I found I can build my own computer that is far superior to any Mac for much less money. I love technology, and this is why I guess I'm a prog. musician. We are the pioneers of the world. I wonder what Les Paul said about Jimmi Hendrix when he was playing with distortion, and feed back. Bob Moog was blown away when Kieth Emerson brought out the giant modular synth, thought it could never be done. I did something on the I pad and had one of their reps get in contact with me.. I told her "politely" I'm just sitting here waiting for the Android to evolve, thanks anyway. Blew her mind to pieces.. Just don't start a conversation on beatmaker and those loop machines, and the guys who call themselves artists, I will find you, I will come to your house, and talk your ear off...Good luck man, and see you on the road!!!