Poor Mic Quality on Calls

jamjen831

Reaction score
I've had multiple people tell me they cannot understand me when on a call.I have a good friend, also with the Moto Droid, who gets the same thing all the time. I was on the phone with him yesterday, and every other word out of each of our mouths was "What? huh?". Have other people noticed this? Love the phone, but the audio quality on calls needs to be better. Hopefully that isn't a hardware problem...

jimnutt

Reaction score
Do you have a case on your phone? If you look closely at the top of the back of the phone you'll see a small (very small) rectangular hole. It's the input for the noise-cancelling microphone. If it's covered it will adversely effect your voice quality.

OP
J

jamjen831

Reaction score
Do you have a case on your phone? If you look closely at the top of the back of the phone you'll see a small (very small) rectangular hole. It's the input for the noise-cancelling microphone. If it's covered it will adversely effect your voice quality.

Hmm, I've got the plastic snap on case, and so does my buddy. I'm going to pull my case off and see if it sounds better... time to do a scientific test!

Thanks for the heads up,
CHeers
JJ

OP
J

jamjen831

Reaction score

KineticYellow

Reaction score
I have waited a long time to post this because I love my Droid, but my call quality is horrible too. Others can't hear me half the time. I have done every single suggestion on here with no success. I'm even on my second Droid. My mom has a Droid and has the exact same problem of sounding muffled.

Here is a forum on Google for others with the same issue. Please add your name to the list and star it so that the problem with hopefully be addressed.

Issue 5175 - android - Call quality on Droid is poor - Project Hosting on Google Code

s_hinerman

Reaction score
probably a moto issue more than a google... But i added my name there anyway.

mersh21

Reaction score

That hole is covered by my case but I haven't seen a case that doesn't cover that hole. I've been told only once that I sound muffled. You really think that little hole being covered is the culprit?

artt

Reaction score
I tried removing the case today and was told it was a significant improvement in sound quality.

I bought the case when I bought the phone at the Verizon store. I wonder why they're selling cases that cover the mic and undermine the quality of the phone.

TrueFangz

Reaction score
My Company just switched to Moto Droid on 02/08/2010. So far 3 out of 12 people have had this complaint. (myself included) We have 4 spare Droids. I personally tested all 4 of these, plus exchanged my first Droid at a Verizon store. In short, I had 6 Droids in my hands on Friday. Had my phone number hooked up to each one of the phones, and made test calls to two people on each phone. They all sucked. One phone would rate 90% clear, another way down to 40%. I then had Verizon put my number on my co-workers handset, and called my two people, and they both said it was 100%. Couldn't even tell I was on a cell phone. So I know it's not my number, or area or signal or anything else of the kind.
I find it ridiculous to have used 7 droids in one afternoon, only to have 1 result in 100% outgoing voice clarity.

I never have used any cases or anything. I just now made two test calls to two different people. During half of each call, I had my index finger covering this little hole as mentioned above, and they did say it sounded worse. When I talked without my finger on that, they said it sounded better, but still not as good as it should. Hung up and called again without any contact of that hole, and same result.

I think that hole may have a little part in it, but not completely.

What I find funny, is that when I went to the Verizon store, and also spoke to 4 different people on the customer service 800 line, NONE of them said that they ever have heard of this problem.

I don't want to give up the Droid, but I don't know if I can with crappy sounding calls to my customers, and friends.

What's next???