Poor battery performance Razr HD

heyhay5

Reaction score
Hi,

I have had my Razr HD for a week now and have found the battery to be no where near expectations. With light to moderate use, it lasts about 12 hours.

Here is the current battery status for today:

8h 5m on battery 39% battery left

Screen 75% (TIme on 2h 13m)
Chrome 5% (11m)
wakelock 4% (9m)
Phone idle 4% (5h 51m)
Android OS 3% (7m)
Cell standby 3% (8h 5m)
Android system 3% (6m)
Voice Calls 2% (3m)
Facebook 2% (3m)

Is my phone faulty or I have I got a settings problem or something else? I read people's comments about their phone lasting over a day with heavy usage, but I don't go anywhere near that!

Thanks for your help

Lightninrod

Reaction score
Same high battery usage on my RAZR HD. I even installed the all-black, No Wallpaper wallpaper to try and reduce the screen's high battery usage but it still sucks.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Hopefully others with a Razr HD will chime in on their typical battery for the HD...but if the Razr HD is similar to the og Razr, then 12 hours is reasonable, whereas the Maxx can expect over 24 hours.

Tips to conserve battery:
*check to make sure it is not on global data. Go to settings --->more... (under data usage) ---> mobile networks ---> network mode ---> select LTE/CDMA.

*In Smart Actions, enable battery extender. It will turn off Wi-Fi, data, and sync when your screen is off and automatically turn it all back on when you unlock your screen (Wi-Fi, data and sync use a lot of battery...no reason to have it running when you are not using your phone).

Do a battery meter training:
*with phone powered off, charge it to 100% (you can check the % of charge by pressing the volume button).
*When it reaches 100%, turn phone on, unplug, use your phone without charging it until it gets to the low battery warning (10-15% charge).
*Turn phone off and charge it while off until it reaches 100% again.
*Turn phone on and use it and charge it as you normally would.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
TisMyDroid said:
Tips to conserve battery:
*check to make sure it is not on global data. Go to settings --->more... (under data usage) ---> mobile networks ---> network mode ---> select LTE/CDMA.

To extend what Tis said, if your phone is anything like mine, it goes back into LTE/CDMA/EvDO/Global/GSM EVERY TIME you power off/on, so make sure you are changing it back!

YellowChicken

Reaction score
I've had the same problem as well. I've turned off all GPS, Bluetooth and wifi when not available and the battery still drains fairly quick. About 1 hr of screen time, didn't download anything or watch videos and I'm already down to 72 percent as I type this. I've done the battery meter training but I have not seen a big difference.

On a similar note, I'm not sure if its only for the Razr HD but I do not see a battery extender option under smart actions, only battery saver which only gives me the options to adjust brightness or restrict background data when my phone is not charging. I don't see any options that let me turn off data when the screen is not on. All helps appreciated thanks!

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
I get about 4:30 minutes of screen on time if I use it heavily, otherwise I get about 20+ hours if I barely use it. Post screen shots of your battery usage. Screen shots can be taken by pressing power + volume down simultaneously for a second or two.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
YellowChicken said:
I've had the same problem as well. I've turned off all GPS, Bluetooth and wifi when not available and the battery still drains fairly quick. About 1 hr of screen time, didn't download anything or watch videos and I'm already down to 72 percent as I type this. I've done the battery meter training but I have not seen a big difference.

On a similar note, I'm not sure if its only for the Razr HD but I do not see a battery extender option under smart actions, only battery saver which only gives me the options to adjust brightness or restrict background data when my phone is not charging. I don't see any options that let me turn off data when the screen is not on. All helps appreciated thanks!

Hmm, guess you might have to create one (or two). Here's what to set:

Smart Action 1
Triggers:
*charging status, not charging
*display status, off
*my phone is not moving (optional)
Actions:
*Adjust background data, only when using that app
*Set Wi-Fi, off
*set mobile data, disable

Smart Action 2
Triggers:
*My charging status, not charging
*My display status changes, on
Actions:
*Set WiFi status, on
*Set mobile data, on
* Adjust background data, only when using that app
*Set my screen brightness, automatic brightness or smart brightness

YellowChicken

Reaction score
Screenshot_2012-12-03-21-05-29.pngScreenshot_2012-12-03-21-05-34.pngScreenshot_2012-11-26-12-23-32.png
I get about 4:30 minutes of screen on time if I use it heavily, otherwise I get about 20+ hours if I barely use it. Post screen shots of your battery usage. Screen shots can be taken by pressing power + volume down simultaneously for a second or two.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

This is from today. You can pretty much ignore the straight line near the beginning because I was sleeping at that time and put my phone to sleep as well so I would assume the battery wouldn't change much at all. Then as soon as my day started (the moment screen turns on), the battery starts depleting really quickily. Surely, this isn't normal. Again, I have only used it for one quick phone call, texting, surfing the web (no video or downloads) and the battery seems to drop 1-2% everytime I'm on it for only a few minutes. As you can, the screen has also been on for only 2 hours 14min. Is this normal? Seems rather low imo. I decided to pick this phone over many others mainly for the battery and figured it wasn't much different than the MAXX HD.

The last screenshot shows something pretty odd. This was taken 2-3 weeks ago, so i don't remember the screen on time, however, as you can see, whenever Wi-Fi is on, the battery falls at a greater rate than when it isn't. This is my school's Wi-Fi if that makes any difference. Is it possible for 4G to eat less battery than Wi-Fi? Just a few points though, this last screenshot was taken before I performed the battery meter calibration and it seems that atleast the battery falls at a smoother rate despite me turning the screen on every now and then. The first two screens were taken today after I performed the battery meter calibration a few days ago.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
A few things... I believe 23 hours is pretty good for the regular HD. This is not the Razr Maxx HD, right? Also 4g drains a lot of battery and data was on most of the time. In the last screen shot, with the drain with WiFi on, data was also on... typically WiFi does not drain much unless it's fighting for a signal but your battery graph shows you had a strong data signal also.

YellowChicken

Reaction score
Yup this is the regular DROID RAZR HD. I'll try as you suggested with the customized smart actions to turn off data when the phone display is off but I have a question. Does this mean that I will never be able to receive email/Facebook notifications until I turn on my screen? Because I would prefer to receive instant notification about my emails and such as soon as they become available. Or would I have to frequently check my phone often to see if I got anything?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Ummm, yeah. You can set your email and Facebook to check every hour or how often you like but if you really need to know right away, then that is a major battery drain...because your phone will be checking frequently, whether there is something there or not.

YellowChicken

Reaction score
Sorry but I'm new with the android. Would you know how to set that up so that it could automatically sync the e-mail and facebook to sync every certain time period while the screen display is off/idle, lets say 15 or 30 minutes? I don't see any option that allows me to automatically sync selected accounts every set number of time. Would this ignore the rule that mobile data is set off while the display is off?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
In your smart actions, don't choose the action “Adjust background data" so your phone will do background syncs. For Facebook, go into the settings for the Facebook app (menu icon in lower right corner) and select “refresh interval." It will check and update in the background.

For email, go into your phone settings, select email accounts, select account settings, choose your email, and go to data usage.

YellowChicken

Reaction score
I will try and see who it goes for the next few days. By the way, is there any suggestion for turning the phone off or leaving it on while charging it overnight? (this is after the battery meter calibration and I'm just regularly charging it because I don't charge it much during the day hoping it will get me through the entire day. I appreciate the help. Thanks alot!