Poor Battery Life: Kernels Fault?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by bump47, Jul 16, 2010.

1. bump47

bump47 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So last night I changed my kernel from the stock 800 mhz on BB .4 to Chevy's ULV 1.2 Ghz. Im using battery left widget and it is saying that I have a full battery life of 2 hours!!! What? What's going on? I thought ULV kernels kept temps cool and gave it higher battery life. When I had the stock kernel I got about 22 hours of battery life. Any ideas? Thanks

2. chron12

chron12 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ulv gives you lower temps only sometimes. You also have to Realize that your jumping from 800 mhz to 1200 mhz. Their should be a big difference in battery life. Back to the temps. A 1200 mhz kernel will probably run a little hotter regardless of voltage due to the increase in performance. You might have to recalibrate your widget also.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

3. bump47

bump47 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I did recalibrate. When I was still on 2.1 android platform I was running 1 ghz and I was getting 23 hours of battery life. It was fine last night. And then just today my battery has gone down so much. It ran from about 4 in the afternoon to midnight without any problems. Maybe it's just the widget's error. I guess will see around 2 pm if my phone dies or not.

4. MansterRock

MansterRock New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When I was using chevys ulv 1.2 I was getting about 3 hours. I dropped to chevys ulv 1.0 and now I am getting about 12 hours before I get to 40% left which is long enough for me to get back to a charger

It also seems zippier throughout.

Using BB v0.4 froyo release.

Also, for emergency situations I have an xpal portable charger. Really small to carry and I get 2 full charges out of it before I have to recharge the xpal.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

5. bump47

bump47 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Man I really hope I can get more than just 2 hours on this 1.2 kernel. Everything is soo snappy

6. bump47

bump47 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know every droid is different but for those of you running an overclocked kernel, what kernel is it and what is your battery life?

7. TuBitMittens

TuBitMittens Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm using the low voltage p3 125-1000 kernel right now. It seems like my battery life has been less than ideal since I rooted but I guess it's cuz I'm using much more now. Simply put it, I'm lucky to get 8 hours it seems like with my use. :(