Poor battery life after last update

Wadzii

Reaction score
on the original firmware and dj05 I had great battery life. I'm pretty sure its a DJ09 issue, my phone shows alot of time w/o signal along with phone standby eating a good bit of battery.

to give you an idea of a typical day.. I spend about an hour and a 1/2 on the phone, a good amount of text messages, get at least 100 emails, check engadget and the forums quite a bit as well as use gps, maps and surf the web. Its unplugged from 5:30am till about 9-10pm

I used to have between 35 and 45% battery left at the end of the day.

With DL09 I reach the 30% mark about 5-6 hours earlier. The phone seems to work better on DL09 so its something I can deal with.

This is WAYYYYYYYYYY better than the Droid Incredible I had before, that phone barely lasted 7 hrs even with a slightly upgraded battery. The stock battery on that phone is 1350mah, I used an EVO 1500mah battery a friend gave me.

AllForNaught

Reaction score
This all serves to make me curious as to how froyo will affect battery life...

But I'll say this: the soft keys being lit longer certainly isn't helping battery life, and I think it was a ridiculous update.

It's especially annoying when reading ebooks in a low-light environment.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

fascinateme33

Reaction score
I should of specified that I work at an animal shelter and use my phone taking pictures and videos during the day, so it mainly stays on. Then I download a lot to our facebook. So this is where most of my drain goes and I use auto brightness for screen. So I'm puling my phone in and out of my pocket at least 50 times a day. I am a Droid novice, this being my first and learn more each day..mostly from playing around with it and reading the forums.and think I will now try the juicer thing I've been hearing good things about.

celtlion

Reaction score
48 hours of standby with light certainly use isn't unheard for a smart phone. I get that much life from my Droid X with the extended battery, no airplane mode and always connected to 3G or wireless.

OP
J

jimv2000

Reaction score
@jameson

The problem is that my battery life has dramatically decreased even when its not being used. Maybe I'll just try a dj05 rom.

Sent from my SCH-I500

denlem

Reaction score
People tend to forget that signal strength will effect battery life too. If you have a full signal and sitting under a cell tower, your battery will last what seems like forever. If you're on the outskirts of reception and your phone is in and out of a signal all day, you're battery will be dead faster than you can imagine.

At work, I have no signal most of the time. If I sit the phone on a desk, I constanly go from no signal to barely one bar. I have an extended battery, and with the phone going in and out i'm luck to get about 6 hours out of it, and that with NO USAGE.

These devices also have poor reception. I can take my Fascinate and my original Droid fully charged and sit them togehter, and my Fascinate with extended battery will be dead before the Droid with standard battery.

This last update does seem to eat the battery more, but it's hard to tell since my battery goes dead fast anyway.

Rafael

Reaction score
I have really poor battery as well. Today I played abduction 2 and browsed the web probably a combined usage of 3.5 hours and my phone was dead. Charging is also painfully slow, about ~10% an hour on usb. Is this normal?

Mcbrocker

Reaction score
I'm getting about 15 hours out of my battery. With use of texting,playing games,very few calls,and droid forums on all day. Refreshing it when I go back to it. So I'm not disapointed with anything on the phone at all.

Marklar45

Reaction score
This thread is a bit weird to me because it seems like my battery is doing way better since the update. Before the update my phone would be almost dead by the time I got home from work, I would have to be careful how much I used it so it wouldn't die. Now it seems to be way better, after work the other day when I got home the battery indicator was full I was like yay update works. One thing I noticed before was in the battery use menu there were all kinds of apps eating the battery and what looked like system apps but now the biggest user of the battery is the display then standby mode then phone idle. Seems to me like this update keeps alot of background apps from running and saving the battery.

Rafael

Reaction score
Just did a short test with my phone and my battery seems to drop about 1% ever minute and a half when i'm using it. It drops about 1% every 4 minutes on standby. =/.

Mcbrocker

Reaction score
Just did a short test with my phone and my battery seems to drop about 1% ever minute and a half when i'm using it. It drops about 1% every 4 minutes on standby. =/.

Sounds like you need to change settings. Like in your email,display,even things like facebook if you use it. I have mine to never refresh, it will do that when you open it. No live wallpaper. Its cool but a waste.

Rafael

Reaction score

Sounds like you need to change settings. Like in your email,display,even things like facebook if you use it. I have mine to never refresh, it will do that when you open it. No live wallpaper. Its cool but a waste.

Display is on the lowest setting possible. Wifi and auto sync are off and there are no background apps running. I honestly think I have a bad battery but a week ago battery life was great. Do you know of any good apps that will tell you the status of the battery health?

Mcbrocker

Reaction score
Not really. But if it was doing ok a few weeks ago then I would say the battery could be bad.
Has it got really hot when charging?
My wifes phone did but I think I noticed in time it didnt hurt it as far as I can tell.

Mcbrocker

Reaction score
I also have my display up pritty high when I'm outside and down just a little when inside. Sync is on. And I only use wifi when I'm downloading music.

Hope you get it figured out.