Poll: Since 2.1 Is Coming Will You Remove Root?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by hookbill, Feb 8, 2010.

1. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    So what do you guys think? I don't know how I feel about this right now. I'd like some feedback.

2. agent42o

agent42o Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, I will just wait for 2.1 custom roms to hit. I think most of the stuff that they are giving us is already in most of the custom roms. Especially since it doesn't look like the new launcher or live wallpapers will be included in the update.

3. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I for one won't be upgrading. Until I can put Flash on either as a download from Adobe or a ROM update...no point. What does 2.1 offer that I don't already have besides Flash that makes it worth losing different ports from the Milestone, the ability to overclock, the ability to monitor real time temps, the ability to take a screenshot without having to use a home replacement app, etc etc?

Nothing.

It would have to be pretty considerable for me to even remotely think about it. Some minor bug fixes or changes aren't going to justify losing everything I have with Bugless Beast and overclocking. What is so great about this update, anyhow?

(copied from another thread)

4. hydrogenman

hydrogenman Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    where's the poll?

lol

My answer is a resounding "no"

I'll wait for the Sholes team to get a hold of this update and do their thing.

Even if 2.1 is faster than stock 2.0, I highly doubt it's as much of a performance increase you get from overclocking to say, 800 mhz.

The 2.1 app launcher will be ported soon after launch (if it even exists in this update, Engadget says it doesn't)....and really with the 2.1 stuff already on here from the Nexus 1, what's the point of updating then until it's rooted?

5. BoxcuttaStyle

BoxcuttaStyle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I had just had an issue with one of the ROM's and had removed everything. Then I see this and get excited :icon_ banana:, what timing!

Then I read a little more. Sounds like we're getting the shaft when it comes to included features on this. 2.1 but without all the features? What's the point. I'll be rooting again tonight and waiting for the developers to root 2.1 as well. I don't imagine it will be all that hard given the sourcecode has been out there for a month now.

6. MM1 Payne (US Navy)

Ratings:
    +0
    Unless it includes something that my rooted ROM dosent have i think not.. I do remeber seeing something saying that flash will need 2.1 to run. or something.. I'm quite comfortable with my beast phone. =)

7. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    1) Most likely the ROm developers will figure this out

2) I also heard a rumor (note, RUMOR) that it would be available for download from Adobe as a separate upgrade or app...

8. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    I will not update to 2.1 until it has been rooted and some good roms are out.

9. thesandman51

thesandman51 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm gonna give 2.1 a whirl.

I honestly haven't been all that impressed with overclocking so far, and that's the main reason I rooted (though Bugless Beast does look really awesome).

If we do end up getting the shaft on some of the new features that we're supposed to be in the 2.1 update, or if overall I just liked my BB experience better, I'll go back to root.

10. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The thing is with BB is that I can take screen shots, monitor temps, and a bunch of other crap.

11. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    If removing the root is as simple as just pushing that button on my Shoals app, then I might do it. I could always go back. But I think there is more to do then just push that button. I need to research.

12. Greaser

Greaser Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Totally staying rooted, just like what others are saying, no reason to upgrade to 2.1.