Poll: Random Reboots?

djmwilliams1

Reaction score
I'm not rooted running stock. Have been having random reboot sense the update. Today it has Rebooted 4 times. I called Verizon about it on the 12th, they said I was the only one reporting any issues. I called again today and spoke with a tech, he checked the Verizon forums and found a few people complaining about it, but said no alerts have been issued because not that many people are having that issue. He advised me to do a factory reset, and that should solve the issue.

You folks need to call Verizon and let them know what's going on. If you just keep taking about it on the forums only, the longer it will take to get a fix. Please call Verizon!!!

Houston THUNDERBOLT!!

tc3

Reaction score
I really don't think its the phone its the new network with bugs. If I wasn't rooted running a rom with no reboots,lucky I know. Stock and reboots I would be mad too

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

I don't think the network or lack of signal can cause a reboot. The screwed up something with the firmware.

jseah

Reaction score
Not rooted and installed the update yesterday. Didn't notice any performance changes, didn't notice any improvement to battery life. Random reboots started last night. The phone would reboot anywhere from every hour to every 3-4 hours. Did a factory reset and the random reboots stopped. Haven't had it reboot at all in the past 6 hours. And battery seemed to have improved as well. Battery was at 28% after phone restored all of the apps that I had previously installed (although it was a bit of a pain having to go through and manually download and install all of my Amazon App Store apps again). 3 hours later, battery was still at 28%.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I had no random reboots on stock, and have had none with Twisted Sense 1.3 to 1.5.1.

Filosophic1

Reaction score
After installing the OTA update yesterday, my phone has rebooted itself twice...(once per day) Also, I noticed that my phone does a lot of switching between 3G and 1X now. GPS is still inaccurate, and still takes upwards of 5-10 minutes to lock on to my exact location. Running totally stock, no root.

Update: Since the OTA update, my phone is now up to rebooting itself 2 to 3 times a day. It has done it while plugged and unplugged. One interesting thing I have noticed is that when it reboots by itself, I do not hear the Thunderbolt start up sound. When I reboot it by long pressing the power key and then selecting restart, I hear the Thunderbolt start up sound.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I was warned not to buy HTC products before I bought this phone. I should have listened. Going to be a lot of pissed off customers

I know you frustrated and you have every right to be. Vzw and HTC did a poor job by pushing this update with out doing thorough testing. With that said HTC have made some good devices and the tbolt is one of them. Thanks to the devs we are running fine but as a user you should not have to root to get a stable device. If you call vzw and you do not get an answer send an email about how disappointed you are about the software update. Vzw has to respond to an email and normally some one will call you about your email the next day.

kparks

Reaction score
I was warned not to buy HTC products before I bought this phone. I should have listened. Going to be a lot of pissed off customers

I know you frustrated and you have every right to be. Vzw and HTC did a poor job by pushing this update with out doing thorough testing. With that said HTC have made some good devices and the tbolt is one of them. Thanks to the devs we are running fine but as a user you should not have to root to get a stable device. If you call vzw and you do not get an answer send an email about how disappointed you are about the software update. Vzw has to respond to an email and normally some one will call you about your email the next day.

I disagree HTC is one of the best company's alongside MOTO at the moment and when u talk about phone support HTC is #1 then MOTO . I have only had 2 reboot sense launch and none after update.. and no I'm not 100% happy with the phone the data in my area goes in and out and I can be standing in the same exact spot 1 day and get 4G then the very next day get nothing but I have confidence that it will be fixed. Only person I blame is Verizon. I wish I stuck with Sprint is the one thing I do know! I'm running stock at the moment no problems

jseah

Reaction score
After installing the OTA update yesterday, my phone has rebooted itself twice...(once per day) Also, I noticed that my phone does a lot of switching between 3G and 1X now. GPS is still inaccurate, and still takes upwards of 5-10 minutes to lock on to my exact location. Running totally stock, no root.

Update: Since the OTA update, my phone is now up to rebooting itself 2 to 3 times a day. It has done it while plugged and unplugged. One interesting thing I have noticed is that when it reboots by itself, I do not hear the Thunderbolt start up sound. When I reboot it by long pressing the power key and then selecting restart, I hear the Thunderbolt start up sound.

I had the same problem, but once I did a factory reset on my phone, the rebooting disappeared. My phone had been "up" 19 hours without a single reboot. It is sad that, for a stock phone, installing a factory update requires the user to do a factory reset. While almost all settings are automatically restored, it still took almost an hour in order for me to get my phone back to where I had it before.

reefsrt4

Reaction score

I had the same problem, but once I did a factory reset on my phone, the rebooting disappeared. My phone had been "up" 19 hours without a single reboot. It is sad that, for a stock phone, installing a factory update requires the user to do a factory reset. While almost all settings are automatically restored, it still took almost an hour in order for me to get my phone back to where I had it before.

I've been dealing with 6-7 reboots per day since the update. Took it to VZW and we did a factory reset. No change....still rebooting just as often. This is pathetic.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I disagree HTC is one of the best company's alongside MOTO at the moment and when u talk about phone support HTC is #1 then MOTO . I have only had 2 reboot sense launch and none after update.. and no I'm not 100% happy with the phone the data in my area goes in and out and I can be standing in the same exact spot 1 day and get 4G then the very next day get nothing but I have confidence that it will be fixed. Only person I blame is Verizon. I wish I stuck with Sprint is the one thing I do know! I'm running stock at the moment no problems

I saw a co-worker's evo do the same thing and that made me glad I was with Verizon.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
those having random reboots email vzw:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/contact/email.jsp

Email actually works better than calling because they HAVE to respond to it via email or email and call.
Explain how testers reported the software would cause random reboots because they were experiencing the same exact issue. Testers expected vzw/htc to fix that issue. Testers explain that the ots is the exact same build they tested and expected people to complain of random reboots.

You paid good money for your device and you should not have to root to fix your phone. Root should be a choice, not a requirement. The d1 did not need root for it to be a good device root made it better. Android devices with bloatware and rushed software are causing more people to feel the need to hack their device out of the box and that is a bad trend.

djmwilliams1

Reaction score
I did the master reboot after the update and after all the random reboots, the factory reset worked, no more random reboots so far. Gps locks on in a split second. All seems well at this time.

HOUSTON THUNDERBOLT

shark86x

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Stock TB since launch date. It has never rebooted on its own, either before or after the OTA.