1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Poll: Looking to swap ROMs

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by Dan at Marquette, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Dan at Marquette

Dan at Marquette New Member

After doing a bunch of research on these two, I've settled on either Sapphire or Ultimate Droid as the ROM I'm switching to from Bugless Beast v0.4 (never moved up to 0.5 because of Black Glass).

I can't decide which direction I should go in, but I value stability and dislike changing ROMs often because of some of the complications of wiping then reloading everything without losing important data (even with TiBu).

So I'll just put up a poll to get some thoughts on these two ROMs, feel free to post them in the thread. I hadn't seen any threads that compared them head to head, so I thought I'd start one. I appreciate any input.
  2. shiznic

shiznic New Member

I am currnetly using saphire and is by far my fav. I would recommend downloading the 1100 mhz standard volt kernel for it because saphire1.1.1. Is clocked to 800. Now there is nothing wrong with ultimate droid. Like it too. My wife uses it on her droid. Way too many options for customization for my taste. if your looking for some thing very different try using MIUI. Reminds me of an Iphone. Anyways try them out and see which is best for you.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  3. bodean

bodean New Member

Saphire hands down between those 2 choices.
  4. astevens54

astevens54 New Member

Have you tried Liquid?

5. Dan at Marquette

I have not. What do you feel sets it apart?
  6. justin82

justin82 Super Moderator Premium Member

so many choices why are you limiting yourself to 2

if you want a nice theme download regular 2.2 and put dark edge on it

or sapphire and put avalon on it.

UD roms have a lot of choices and are good roms

i run sapphire on my orginal droid and incredible they are smooth and quick
  7. shiznic

shiznic New Member

Have you already loaded a recovery program to load ur roms? If not I perfer the sprecovery. Make sure u back up ur phone before u do anything with the rom. I always name my back ups and do an advance back up so I can load everything back the way it was. I have four different roms saved as back ups. I switch back and forth. Make sure you wipe the cache and data before loading either rom u choose. But like before "I" like saphire. But u might like UD better. Try both for a week or so. Make a back up of it and if u don't like ur new rom go back to the one u do like. For battery convervation use set cpu app and make some battery profiles. Enjoy whatever rom u choose and good luck.
  8. Dan at Marquette

Thanks for the advice, guys. I've used ROM manager for all mine in the past, from BB 2.1 to BB Froyo 0.4 and chevys kernels. I'm going to try to get away from ROM manager. I think Sapphire will be my first experiment, perhaps with Avalon (though I love my black glass theme on bb .4 right now).

I'm looking into how to apply GAPPs right now.

9. UltraDroid

UltraDroid Super Moderator Staff Member

Take a look at Succulent Desire 7.0. It's a very smooth running, hassle free rom which has the unusual distinction of coming pre-themed. There are three or four different themes for the 7.0 version, and I understand there will be even more in version 8.0 when it gets released. See Droid Concepts under the Custom Roms area of the forum.

-Mike
  10. astevens54

astevens54 New Member

I guess I am going have to look at. I am new to rooting and flashing roms.

11. dbst

dbst New Member

Just flash Gapps like you flashed your rom
  12. jakegsxr11

jakegsxr11 New Member

I have tried both roms. I started with Sapphire 1.0 for a week and then went to UD. I did not like UD, I was having force close issues with many programs. I ran UD for a couple days. The people in the forum were very helpful with working out the bugs but there were just too many for me. I went back to Sapphire 1.1.1 and have been running it since release with no problems and nothing to work out after the install. I am anxiously awaiting Sapphire 2.0, I heard it should be coming soon.
  13. johnnilsson

johnnilsson New Member

Charity smoked glass Rom is great use it

14. adsfa34

adsfa34 New Member

I've got to agree that you shouldn't rule out Liquid's ROM.

IMO, it's the "best" ROM out there in terms of stability and speed. The ONLY thing I wasn't crazy about Liquid's ROM was the bootanimation, but I just switched it for a smaller/faster boot animation from my Droid 2 squidly ROM.

I have not tried Sapphire, but I have tried UD 2, SS v4.8/4.9(... a very close second favorite!), BB v0.5, CM6, PE v3.2 and MIUI. Each ROM has its selling points and flaws alike.

Almost all ROMS have a very obvious tradeoff between speed, stability and customizability. But, as the ROMs (and more importantly, the devs!) are getting better, this is less and less true.

SS and Liquid Frozen Yogurt are of the few ROMs that offer both. Both are BLAZING fast, very customizable and super stable. I have gotten very few (next to none) force closes using LFY, and it's the fastest ROM I've flashed yet.

Each person has different preferences, so you really just need to pick a few and try them for yourself. Just make nandroid backups along the way and you can go back easily.

*Whatever ROM you end up sticking with, please consider a donation to that developer. Even $1 is better than nothing. The devs all work very hard to give us awesome ROMs and generally ask for nothing in return. $5-10 can make their day, and is nothing compared to your $200 phone and the enjoyment their hard work helps you to get out of it.

Hope this helps you decide! :)
  15. Riley

Riley New Member

My first and only ROM I have flashed since rooting was SS 4.8 and then 4.9 over that. Awesome ROM, and very stable.

I am considering trying out LFY 1.95 though......
  16. adsfa34

adsfa34 New Member

I really think it's the only ROM out there that gives SS a run for its money in terms of speed/reliability.

LFY is not quite as customizable, but it's close. Also, it is pretty snazzy to have the ChevyTools tweaks nested in the Settings.apk, but the Liquid Tweaks standalone app is just as functional.