Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I believe that VZW pushed out all 4G phones before the network was really ready. So now they are trying to catch up by tweaking the towers and the software. So I thought it would be interesting to see out of all those who have a 4G phone what problems they are having. This is mainly focused on the data issues.

Please post your phone type if you wish with the specific problem.

DrZenga

Reaction score
4g phone....with only 3g that's muh problem

Last edited:

MayneMan

Reaction score
I have the Bionic and I'm not convinced that the leaked .893 update has solved my data connection issues. I live in Covington Kentucky which is right across the bridge from Cincinnati and according to the Verizon map 4G is pretty heavy in all areas I travel and I still see 3G. I'm thinking about unrooting and returning to stock then re-rooting with forever root and waiting on Verizon's official OTA. Just not sold on the leaked version. It's very annoying seeing 3G on a 4G phone.

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Charge here. Data has been excellent here in Cleveland, Oh, even getting a 4G signal in areas I didn't plan on. In the beginning, however, it wasn't so great. The handoff was questionable, but seamless lately. Couldn't be happier, well until a new Droid4 or Razor and a GNex soon.

gmorgan056

Reaction score
My wife's Charge works great, never loses connection here in Seattle. Can't say the same for my Bionic tho.

Rhino94

Reaction score
My thunderbolt works great here in Detroit. The 4G speeds have defiantly slowed down a ton(coming from a person who got the thunderbolt the day it released). If they want to keep their fast speeds here they will have to start upgrading their tower's bandwidth.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Yea I was just trying to narrow it down as to whether it was a hardware/software issue or a combination of both. To me now it's just in certain areas I'm losing data, which leads me to believe even more that it's the towers, but the software could also be playing a part in this.

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have had the 4g data loss issues so I just stick with 3g for now. I haven't tried the cheesecake update but if its another month or two before the OTA update comes out, I think I might go for it.

sent from my liberated bionic using Droid forums

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Bionic is perfect on 4G/wifi when in the 4G area. (90% of my time). When I get in a fringe zone or 3G only zone, it is a bit of a fight to get data, but the phone seems to keep it once I get it.
I was just at the beach condo for the first time with the Bionic (14th floor of a 18 floor building, 3G area). My OG had a great data connection, with no pixel Netflix etc. My Bionic could not keep 3G inside the condo. It cycled back and forth to 1x, I haven't seen 1x in years. Netflix was unwatchable. I had to step outside on the balcony to keep 3G. I couldn't even make a phone call inside the condo on the Bionic, had to step out on the deck. The OG was no issue on calls either.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Shadez I think (and have thought for awhile, since I got the Bolt when it was released) that you are 1,000% correct. LTE is awesome, but they just don't know how to handle the tech yet on the phones, or the phone/tower communication, or the 3g/4g handoff... or all of the above!

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Shadez I think (and have thought for awhile, since I got the Bolt when it was released) that you are 1,000% correct. LTE is awesome, but they just don't know how to handle the tech yet on the phones, or the phone/tower communication, or the 3g/4g handoff... or all of the above!

Right... I think the phones were pushed out before the network was ready.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Right... I think the phones were pushed out before the network was ready.

Its because they had to compete against T-Mobile and at&ts hspa+ "4g" network quickly so they wouldn't fall behind.
Btw I hope they take at&ts idea- not only upgrading to 4g lte in major cities but also upgrading the majority of their 3g network to hspa+ or something similar. It sucks to go from 4g lte with 5-9 MB/s or more down to 3g with a max of about 2.6 MB/s. Hspa+ is about 3-6 MB/s btw...
Anyone agree that Verizon should go with that same plan?

the ORIGINAL Droid
supercharged modified liquid 3.1w/turbocharged 3g
Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz w/ kickasskernel tweaks
19.9 linpack score
1850 quadrant score

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its because they had to compete against T-Mobile and at&ts hspa+ "4g" network quickly so they wouldn't fall behind.
Btw I hope they take at&ts idea- not only upgrading to 4g lte in major cities but also upgrading the majority of their 3g network to hspa+ or something similar. It sucks to go from 4g lte with 5-9 MB/s or more down to 3g with a max of about 2.6 MB/s. Hspa+ is about 3-6 MB/s btw...
Anyone agree that Verizon should go with that same plan?

the ORIGINAL Droid
supercharged modified liquid 3.1w/turbocharged 3g
Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz w/ kickasskernel tweaks
19.9 linpack score
1850 quadrant score

I would take hspa+ speeds on Verizon's evdo network, since it would likely be reliable. People always post speedtest results of the new LTE phones when they should be posting a data reliability test... If that existed. I have a slight fear that the immature LTE network is making a lot of great devices look buggier than they should, and worry it will continue to do so with the Razr and Gnex. Hopefully I'm wrong and they figure something out by then...