Poll: Does your droid freeze???

eddi3k

Reaction score
I had a faulty phone previously so I called Verizon and they exchanged it for me. The rep on the phone called the Verizon I was headed towards to let them know that I could exchange it.

I knew the phone was at fault because it just kept freezing when it was rebooting from a factory reset. I did the reset about 3 times and still it was constantly freezing on me.

crspang

Reaction score
No, mine is not freezing up on me, and I DO use a task killer. I have ATK set to ignore calender, messaging, advanced task killer free, voice dialer, alarm clock, settings, digi clock widget, ring guard and gmail. I don't use swype, anti-virus or any home replacement apps though.

mantis5

Reaction score
Question for those who don't have freezes, how often (if ever) do you restart/power cycle the Droid?

Chad F

Reaction score
Cna anyone help? i have a DRIOD and literally everytime i open my camera or gallery my phone freezes and i have to pull the battery out to restart it. Any advise would be helpful. Thanks. Also my phone is rooted and i am running Sholes. I also, couple times a week get a random reboot.

tlq

Reaction score
I've had to freeze when the alarm went off, had to pull the battery. I've also had someone call me and I couldn't get to the answer page, or the swipe icon is missing. I wish there was a button for answering calls.

Daywalker

Reaction score
Mine does not freeze with it way overclocked it is actually pretty warm

jvcerebro

Reaction score
it freezes once in a while. and i have to pull the battery too. it may happen once a week. i do have to admit to multitasking and heavy use. Not rooted.

droidperson

Reaction score
This happened to me me a lot. I had just installed a Home app or something. I just figured it was that, so I uninstalled it,and my phone never froze or lagged since! So, yea you probibaly just downloaded an app that "did not agree" with your phone.

wormywyrm

Reaction score
I occasionally have to pull my battery, maybe once a week. But yesterday I had to pull it 6 times, and one of the times it would not restart for over an hour (it would just light up a black screen). I thought it had bricked.

I just updated a bunch of apps, sadly I don't remember exactly which ones I updated so I can't say which are causing it. But here are some new apps I have/ones I updated recently:

Update to:
Home++ (I removed this and it may have improved the crashing but did not stop it)
Handcent SMS (most of my first crashes were while I was texting using this, maybe just because I was texting a lot at that moment but maybe because handcents update is to blame?)

These probably dont cause problems since they dont seem to run in background:
3D Magic Eye
balance the beer
codes (redbox app)
google sky map
redboxer

Old apps that seem OK:
air control
air hockey
airplane mode toggle
armageddon squad
armored strike
artfulbits aiminesweeper
astrid
astro
audiobook player (this seems to have some bugs for me)
buka
calculator
calvin and hobbes
compass
dm updater (rooted with droidmod)
dog whistler
fireflies
fring
gblocker
gensoid lite
google translate
gstrings (guitar tuner)
happy cow veginout guide
homerunbattle3d
layrinth lite
last.fm
listen (podcasts are always cut short when i hear them via listen, no clue why)
maps
math alarm clock
mototorch LED
mixzing
mouthoff
movies
my verizon
not call log prefs
npr news
org.rotate (a plane game)
pandora
pdanet
pure calendar widget (this widgets pretty complicated etc, i sorta wonder if it could be causing increase in crashes)
qik
raging thunder
scrobble droid
setcpu
shazam
shopsavvy
sleeptimer
snesoid
speedx 3d
stopwatch
terminal emulator
weather channel
timeriffic
timer
trailmaps
tss service extended (no idea what this is)
txtspeed
usb webcam
useless facts
voice recorder
wertago
what the doodle
where did we park?
wheres my droid
wifi status
wifi toggle widget
yxflash

And I am running droidmod right now. There was definitely no change in how many freezes I got when I switched to it.

When I uninstalled Home++ I installed HelixLauncher in its place... which is so much better! More functional, fast, and hasnt force closed on me yet.

Maybe I just have too many freaking apps. :p I got so many apps together in the beginning I could never tell what was causing freezes or if they would have happened even if i didnt install apps. The only one that was clearly having issues was Home++, way too many force closes, lag, etc. Now it is gone, and HelixLauncher is awesssomeee I really like it. I can definitely tell the difference with lags and force closes, but it has still frozen on me since then once and its only been like 5 hours and I've barely used my phone in that time.

Last edited:

wormywyrm

Reaction score
Okay, shortly after that post it did brick. I brought it to verizon and they replaced it for me. I think this time around I will try to stay lighter on the apps and not root it, although I really will miss overclocking + wireless tethering :-(