[Poll] Best 'Extra' Function on an Android Phone? microSD, Removable Battery or Stock(ish) Android

Which of these sometimes ignored features for an Android smartphone is most important to you?

• microSD slot

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • removable battery

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • mostly stock Android experience

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • unlocked or easily unlockable

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • none

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
LG-G4-Hands-on-07.jpg

For years Android fans have been looking for the ultimate Android smartphone device that ticks off the perfect "triumvirate" of "extra" features for a smartphone. Those top 3 features have come in various multiples, but only so very rarely will you see all three on the same phone. These are: a removable battery, a microSD slot and a Nexus-like (stock or mostly stock) Android interface.

Frequently, when discussing this "Holy Grail" of Android devices, a fourth fan-favorite "extra" feature has been bandied about as well, and that is being unlocked or easily unlockable. These basically make up the most contentious capabilities that Android fans typically debate over when a new smartphone hits the market.

Obviously over the past couple of years, things have evolved for Android, so this "trinity +1" of wish-list items are not quite as relevant as they once were (for some people). Because they aren't quite as necessary as they used to be, we thought it would be cool to find out from you folks which of these functions are still the most important to you. What better way is there to pull that off than a poll? Here's your Monday afternoon funzies poll:

Which of these sometimes ignored features for an Android smartphone is most important to you?
  1. microSD slot
  2. removable battery
  3. mostly stock Android experience
  4. unlocked or easily unlockable
  5. none
*Please note - we are not including an "other" category, because we want to focus on just these specific fan-favorite features. If you have no interest in any of these functions, just check none. Also, be sure to share why you chose your vote in the thread, so we can see why it's important to you.

We updated the poll so that you can choose up to 2 features and you can also redo your choice.

Last edited:

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
The poll is too restrictive.
I want either large memory and unlockable bootloader or microSD and an unlockable bootloader.
I won't buy a phone no matter how flexible that doesn't get me to 128GB.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The poll is too restrictive.
I want either large memory and unlockable bootloader or microSD and an unlockable bootloader.
I won't buy a phone no matter how flexible that doesn't get me to 128GB.
Thanks for the feedback. I updated the poll so it might be less restrictive.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
My top 2 choices are:

1. Unlockable or easily unlockable
2. microSD slot

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
Micro SD slot, removable battery are first two. Only reason I still want removable battery is that I often keep my phone (if I really liked it) for more than 2 years and the batteries seem to last only that long. My third would definitely be more built in memory - at least 3gb system (4 preferred) and minimum 32 user (at least 64gb if no memory slot). My tablet has only 16gb user and I have to constantly remove apps or data to be able to use it.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
SD and removable battery for me..

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Micro SD is about the only thing I miss. If the Note 5 had one, I would have one. Fortunately this Note 3 (owned since release day) is still adequate, I just want a new phone I don't need one. The Nexus 6P with 128g seems like the perfect phone.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Stock and Unlockable. 64GB is plenty enough for me on a phone. This 6P will hold me over for a few years.